PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Zoo on Saturday?

Storkeye
28th Jun 2011, 19:54
Hi All,

I am planning to take the family in the Warrior one Saturday to Bristol Zoo. As I live near Turweston I thought... 'I know, we could fly to Bristol!'... brainwave 2 hours driving or 45 minute flying, no contest!

I hopped onto pprune and searched for Filton, a lot of posts are quite dated now and I couldn't find any posts since they anounced that Filton will be closing next year.

Questions I have are:

1. Does anyone know if Filton is still as GA friendly as it used to be?
2. Is it easy to park the plane up on the south apron and leave it there for the day?
3. Are they open on Saturdays, if so what times?
4. Do I really need a marshaller when I land? :ugh:

I'm fairly low hours PPL, but I was trained at Cranfield so am not too daunted by the structure of Filton.

Any answers, comments or suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thank you all,
Storkeye

Fuji Abound
28th Jun 2011, 20:35
When i last had a need for filton on a saturday earlier this year it was closed and there was no special access priviliges via the flying club. They are easy enough to phone.

There is so little traffic at filton these days it only classifies as a big airport because the runway is long and wide.

There are four spaces on the south apron i always found you got one if there was one free and no priority traffic. If not the nortn apron is fine and they send transport. I cant recall ever having a marshall in 20 or so visits.

It is a fair way to the zoo. Bristol i would guess is closer but two or three times the cost. I think it was £100+ last time i was in there in a twin. Mind you you are handled very nicely.

The zoo (i have been once) was excellent, i enjoyed the visit.

dan_vector
28th Jun 2011, 23:53
Filton is closed all weekends to all traffic. Even the flying clubs (Such as aeros) can't fly either.

Storkeye
29th Jun 2011, 12:09
It's such a shame because Filton is ideally placed as a GA field. Fingers crossed that when it closes some enterprising individuals might reopen it as a GA field soon after? I know, unlikely, but we can but hope eh?

Thank you both for your replies.

Happy flying.