PDA

View Full Version : WHO HAS An ATPL

fingureof8
28th Jun 2011, 07:54
I heard a rumour that there was a recent trawl at bzn to find out how many ATPL's are out there. Can anyone shed any light as to why?

5 Forward 6 Back
28th Jun 2011, 07:55
Let's start the rumour that it's a Voyager PFI licensing nightmare.

Earwaxed
28th Jun 2011, 08:17
My guess is that 'somebody' has realised that those with a license and some initiative/common sense are going to get out before the 18 month/0% flying pay PVR time. Its alright we've got plenty of pilots in training......!

Chris Griffin
28th Jun 2011, 08:27
Me - Ive got one - and in response to a few other threads - I'm going at an option thank heavens, and there isn't enough money in the MOD coffers to tempt me to stay.

I think the purpose of the trawl was twofold - find those who can leave and those who may be tempted by the 330 slot. It has been obvious for at least a few years that we are going down the route of requiring an ATPL in order to operate the 330.

Good luck to the shed-loads who have bitten the bullet and are doing their exams shortly.

D-IFF_ident
28th Jun 2011, 08:38
I have a couple. :p

Fareastdriver
28th Jun 2011, 08:42
and those who may be tempted by the 330 slot

Looks like the salaries that Air Tanker Services are offering is not enough.

Surprise, surprise!

Jambo Jet
28th Jun 2011, 11:42
The question everyone needs to ask themselves is "Do I have an ATPL?" and if the answer is "no", then now is the time to do something about it!

In these uncertain times a green or blue licence is a sound, essential investment.

As far as a trawl from manning canvassing who does or who does not indeed hold an ATPL, if the speculation is that Voyager crews will need them then this just goes to show that regardless of your experience, or lack of, a licence is a must. How many newly qualified QSPs will have costly licences? It is surely about time that all AFTs (multis or helos) licence their students by running accredited courses.

DSAT or accreditation?, hmmm

cessnapete
28th Jun 2011, 14:51
Why would an RAF pilot need a civil licence to fly the A330 Tanker?. It will be dual CAA/ Military Serial , as are the King Air and Grob, which are flown by RAF crews without civil licences.
Upcoming EASA FCL does not appear to cater for military crews flying an EASA registered aircraft without an EASA licence . Perhaps a problem after 2012 for MOD.

SFCC
28th Jun 2011, 18:18
At 50k for an A330 captain, they are rather short of the mark.

Very short, actually.

By about 35K.

fantom
28th Jun 2011, 18:27
£50k? That is cheeky; very cheeky.

How long is the queue?

High_Expect
28th Jun 2011, 18:28
Dear Manning,

Whilst you may be enquiring who has an APTL in the multi's world for a variety of reasons, I think you'll have a shock when you discover how many FJ guys have or are doing their ATPLs for just one reason. I can only imagine the feeling of enough is enough is even stronger in the Rotary and Multi's worlds.

Face facts - you blew it. Oh and by the way 12 months now without Flying Pay on PVR :D a nice touch. Sod it why not just make it the full 18 months and see if that has the desired retention implications :ok: after all you are the experts.

Foghorn Leghorn
28th Jun 2011, 18:32
Well said High Expect. There are a lot of FJ guys doing or have done their licenses.

Wirbelsturm
28th Jun 2011, 20:00
Whilst you may be enquiring who has an APTL in the multi's world for a variety of reasons, I think you'll have a shock when you discover how many FJ guys have or are doing their ATPLs for just one reason. I can only imagine the feeling of enough is enough is even stronger in the Rotary and Multi's worlds.

And while we're talking, BA has re-opened the military managed path scheme! Come on in, the waters lovely!

Sadly no 330's but we do have: 744,772,773,A318/19/20/21,737 with A380, 787 and, rumour control has it, 748 on the way.

Best move I ever made.

High_Expect
28th Jun 2011, 20:24
Air Asia are recruiting enough pilots this year to absorb the entire multi's steam of both captains and co's and still have enough space for the entire FJ force.

PS.
I forgot to mention they're planning to recruit at that level for the next 5 years!

PPS. They also like ex RAF types.

PPPS. Rumour has it they are putting together a 'deal' for Air Force chaps/chapesses that will take into account the pension sacrifice and provide how shall we say- a better first year bonus than Xmas day OO. Oh and they don't do 6month OOAs to the Stan.

Unchecked
28th Jun 2011, 20:32
" Oh and they don't don't 6month OOA to the Stan."

Nor do the RAF !

(but I'm with you all the way on everything else!)

Mach the Knife
28th Jun 2011, 20:36
I do, sadly my 4800 FJ and QFI hours will only get me a CPL JAR Licence when I convert from my CAA ATPL. Still it is now fully ready, with medical and brand new MEIR, just lurking now with everyone else ready for the stampede. Shame really, I used to be proud to be a military pilot, my career aspirations now are "retirement"

Rigga
28th Jun 2011, 20:56
...and the LAE rates are about 10-15K short too - plus not messing with guns or gates, etc.

But I think "they" are likely to fill those gaps with "pressed" men - keen for a quick Licence path and to suffer a couple of years being messed about before they pull the black & yellow.

...Welcome to the Voyager...and the Departure Lounge.

I'm Off!
28th Jun 2011, 22:41
Unfortunately BAs Managed Path is not open to anyone who is leaving at anything other than a recognised option point. If you PVR you are not eligible, and MoD/BA are playing very rigid with this.

To my reckoning that also excludes all PAS/FTC(A) by definition.

Wirbelsturm
29th Jun 2011, 07:50
Unfortunately BAs Managed Path is not open to anyone who is leaving at anything other than a recognised option point. If you PVR you are not eligible, and MoD/BA are playing very rigid with this.

To my reckoning that also excludes all PAS/FTC(A) by definition.

I'm Off,

Unfortunately you are quite correct and the RAFCARS scheme, as was, is a little rigid.

However, the light at the end of the tunnel is that the next recruiting phase (read - ongoing) will include non type rated and military pilots from day one. The only dispensation you gain anyway is that you can access the BA recruitment website without needing to enter your licence number. The rest of the process is identical.

For future reference BA is a very friendly place for ex-mil and alot of the flight crew are ex-mil. For me it was like going back to a Squadron reunion!!

Keep an eye on the BA site and I will post updates when and if I get them.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Jun 2011, 12:28
Sadly no 330's but we do have: 744,772,773,A318/19/20/21,737 with A380, 787 and, rumour control has it, 748 on the way.

Ah! The Budgie!

Lovely aeroplane. Glad it's to be resurrected. ;)

I'm Off!
29th Jun 2011, 13:31
Thanks Wirbelsturm,

I always hear that from friends who are at BA, and having fallen foul of the 2008 recruitment freeze I will be mad keen to have another crack as soon as the recruitment criteria mean that I am eligible.

I look forward to some hopefully positive updates from you...

newt
29th Jun 2011, 15:04
For future reference BA is a very friendly place for ex-mil and alot of the flight crew are ex-mil. For me it was like going back to a Squadron reunion!!

Certainly not how I found it! But could it be different now? I wonder?:sad:

brit bus driver
29th Jun 2011, 15:25
There are of course some right knobs out there from both sides of the fence.....:ok:

I've found that it's best not to ram one's ex-mil background down one's colleagues throats. Always nice to share some common ground with your mucker in the front, but there are also many excellent guys/gals from a purely civvy background. The ones to watch out for are the well-balanced (ie one on each shoulder) individuals who 'chose' not to join the RAF!! Best to talk cars or beer with them.

As for AT paying £50k for a captain, that's frankly ludicrous. BA's basic starting salary is more than that for an FO and goes up about £2500 a year for 20 years (or something).

Oh, and £100k wasn't enough for me either.