PDA

View Full Version : N-reg share - gamble or not?

DocG
25th Jun 2011, 15:44
A friend is selling his N-reg share and has offered me first refusal. Given the current licensing situation and the uncertainty surrounding the EIR, I am not convinced that this would make sense at the moment.

Grateful for the opinion for those wiser and more experienced than I (which shouldn't rule out too many) as to how you think the whole licensing debacle will pan out.

Thanks in advance.

englishal
26th Jun 2011, 07:19
What pilot certificate do you hold? What plane is it? We put ours on th N reg in Jan and we're not worried.

DocG
26th Jun 2011, 08:18
It's a PA-28 and I have a PPL and IMC rating. The plan was to then look at an FAA IR with a view to touring more widely (and opening up flying holidays in the US).

maxred
26th Jun 2011, 08:30
That's exactly my scenario. My aircraft went on N reg - for a number of reasons - recently, the only slight difference is I have an FAA licence.
I would not be worried, it of course depends on plane, condition, and all the other factors in getting involved in an aeroplane:\

Pace
26th Jun 2011, 10:34
If only we had a crystal ball?

EASA say they are really working to a bi lateral agreement? but is that a way to slip this in through the back door with as little resistance as possible?

The Euro is very vulnerable at the moment with the possibility of Greece going belly up on its loans and Spain and Ireland following fast behind?

Who knows what the picture will be in 2014?

We then have the head in the sand situation with EASA that having found a legal solution to eliminating N reg they will be faced with the reality of the massive costs and problems with just obliterating N reg at the sweep of a pen for the 67000 N reg pilots in Europe.

Only you can make that decision and take the risk no matter how large or small.

If it was me and I just had a PPL plus IMC I would get the FAA PPL IR but also start studying up on the JAA PPL IR groundstudies and see how things pan out in a years time.

Pace

IO540
26th Jun 2011, 18:17
There is no EASA proposal to ban long term parking of foreign registered aircraft.

This was tried by France and the UK (2004/2005) but abandoned quickly.

The current EASA proposals are to require EASA licenses/ratings after April 2014. This of course wipes out the principal historical advantage of the FAA IR (which itself requires an N-reg plane to be useful) but there are other advantages of being N-reg and these remain.

Pace
26th Jun 2011, 19:47

The information I recieved today makes me much less worried :)

DocG
26th Jun 2011, 21:05
Do tell. I assume you're not referring to the letter sent by the CAA which very helpfully noted that all the information it contained may be subject to change - thanks for the update but clarity would be useful.