PDA

View Full Version : DISCRIMINATION ?!!

kittyhawk330
24th May 2001, 20:56
I WAS READING UP ON SIA ,WHEN I CAME ACROSS AN ARTICLE ON THEIR RECRUITMENT POLICIES.I WAS TRULY FLABERGASTED WHEN I READ THAT IT'S AGAINST THEIR POLICY TO RECRUIT FEMALE PILOTS.DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS POLICY WAS INTRODUCED (ANY SANE REASON)?IS THERE A PURELY LOGICAL IDEA BEHIND THIS OR IS THIS JUST PLAIN DISCRIMINATION ?PERSONALLY I'M NOT REALLY A WOMENS LIB FANATIC,BUT IT SURE GETS ME ALL WORKED UP WHEN WOMEN ARE SO OPENLY DISCRIMINATED!

24th May 2001, 21:14
other countries...other customs

ragspanner
25th May 2001, 02:02
Apparently their flt decks do not require dusting !.

Captain Airclues
25th May 2001, 02:34
Apparently SQ believe that women are unable to operate the 'Caps Lock' key.

Airclues

Sensible
25th May 2001, 03:02
Actually, I discriminate AGAINST MEN, never yet found one that I fancied!!!

Few Cloudy
25th May 2001, 17:49
Seemingly, unless you begin a sentence with actually ar apparently, you don't get in,
happenstance. salamat bagi.

Buffy Summers
25th May 2001, 20:56
Wake up Kittyhawk330 there are lots of companies who won't employ female pilots or who discriminate in a quiet way against them.
I have spoken to a number of people who have been discriminated against both for foreign and UK companies.
Things like, ask for an application form saying your name is "Jenny" you don't get one, just a letter saying they are not recruiting, write again saying its "John" and lo and behold an application arrives.
Despite the silly posts that appear on pprune occasionally alleging positive discrimination for women in this country, I have yet to see it. I would say though that BA did advertise previously in a couple of women's magazines in the hope that more women might apply for its sponsorship.

JJflyer
25th May 2001, 21:21
Hey chill it lady.

A company should be able to employ people of their choosing regardless of their:
- Race
- Sex
- Sexual preference
- Religion
- Nationality
or Political agenda

The above just to name a few. I am sure that wiser will coma up with more.

So if a company wants to employ 6ft2in Causian, bisexual females with red hair it should be up to them to decide.

JJ

airforcenone
26th May 2001, 03:13
BA are an equal opportunities employer (provided you're medically fit)! So you'll be considered irrespective of gender, skin colour, etc, hence the adverts in Cosmo and so on.

The thing is, most people who want to fly aeroplanes in the UK are white males, therefore the vast majority of pilots are bound to fit that description.

In Singapore, the laws are different! Stop chewing!! (for example)

[This message has been edited by airforcenone (edited 25 May 2001).]

little red train
27th May 2001, 01:09
Thing that dosn't make sence, in the new age of PC, why do they as all the bl==dy race, religion, colour etc questions on the application forms, if they don't consider it, why do they ask it?

splonguk
27th May 2001, 01:21
little red train they don't use the race, colour, religion info to decide who to employ, but they have to produce data for the government showing them the spectrum of people they employ. BA would be expected to employ a certain number of people from each race, gender etc...

little red train
27th May 2001, 01:29
Pisses me off a little more that, active descrimination, have to emplay *** to make up numbers, even if someone of 'majority background' is more suitable. Mate just filled out a job application and could get a guaranteed interview if he was disabled!

if they didnt know these things on the form, they couldn't be descriminating in anyway untill interview, where they actually decide who is best, not whos group hasn't had its quota filled.

Rant off, to jet-blast with me

Whirlybird
27th May 2001, 12:01
JJFlyer,

I'd just like to point out that Buffy didn't COMPLAIN about prejudice against women; she simply pointed out that it existed.

little red train,

I entirely agree that so-called positive discrimination is as bad as the other way. It is true that all companies have to employ a quota of disabled people. But apart from that, I'm not sure it happens to anything like the extent people think it does. The only evidence I've heard seems to be anecdotal, and people are quick to scream about prejudice if they've been passed over, so I'm unconvinced. But I could be wrong. Does anyone have any hard evidence to the contrary?

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

DownIn3Green
27th May 2001, 23:26
I think JJ was referring to the original poster "person", who, if she would learn to SHUT HER MOUTH when she has nothing constructive to say might find someone to hire her.

Maybe Kitty ought to try Saudia...they're always recruiting...