PDA

View Full Version : PPL Ratings

terryp
23rd Jun 2011, 09:26
Morning All,

I have been happily flying for a few years now on my PPL with SEP rating and tempted to expand my horizons.

I have been looking at both the IMC and MEP ratings which both seem of interest, so thought I would throw it open to opinion.

Do you think the MEP is a worth while rating on a PPL?

Is it worth doing the IMC while the EASA decisions are still uncertain with regards to whether this is rating that will be withdrawn or converted to a Part IR under new regulations?

Thoughts welcome!!:ok:

Slopey
23rd Jun 2011, 09:37
If you are interested in the IMCR, do it now before April 2012. If you already have it, you'll likely be grandfathered so you can continue to use it, or at least get some accreditation towards whatever they come up with.

If you don't have it, your only option after April (at the moment) will be the IR with associated irrelevant exams and horrendous cost.

I'm cracking on with mine before EASA get rid of it!

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jun 2011, 09:43
IMC !

Regardless of anything else, it'll add a lot to your "get out of gaol" options if things are going wrong, anywhere in the world. I really enjoy the challenge of accurate instrument flying, which is the biggest "new" thing I learned - when I got to it - in a long time.

And if you do it now, you'll keep it, and as has already been said, it's likely to grandfather into some future European IR-lite qualification.

Re: ME - why? I've seen little evidence to suggest that flying multi-engine adds to your enjoyment, or even your safety much, but I've seen much evidence that it'll add a lot to the bills.

And have you done tailwheel? It sharpens your handling, and opens up lots of interesting (and often cheaper) aeroplanes.

But anybody without one (or an IR), with any all-weather aspirations to fly in British airspace, should be doing an IMC at the moment, if they can afford it, in my opinion.

G

Intercepted
23rd Jun 2011, 10:33
A MEP without an IMC/IR would look a bit strange too me. The type of flying in a multi-engine is normally geared towards touring under IFR, isn't it?

If you are not keen on the idea of cloud flying, tailwheel and/or aerobatics seems to be good fun.

I have an IMCr and apart from the obvious of making me legal in the UK, and capable of outside uk, to fly in bad weather it has improved my VMC flying experience. Before the IMCr rating I found it hard to relax fully when I went longer distances and staying for for the day or weekend. VMC in 3k vis on hazy days is also something I'm relaxed about nowdays.

BEagle
23rd Jun 2011, 12:04
IMCR - yes! But you could always start with the AOPA RadNav certificate ( Radio Navigation Certificate (http://www.joinaopa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=219) ) which will give you some exemptions from the IMCR course.

MEP Class Rating - why? Very expensive and what's the point unless you're a wealthy private owner.

bingofuel
23rd Jun 2011, 12:11
Why an MEP?, well he will learn some new skills, overcome new challenges and generally broaden his flying experience. Whether that is worth the expense, well only he can decide, but generally I believe in always trying to expand your skill and knowledge base, as it will make you a better overall pilot.

Intercepted
23rd Jun 2011, 12:17
Why an MEP?, well he will learn some new skills, overcome new challenges and generally broaden his flying experience. Whether that is worth the expense, well only he can decide, but generally I believe in always trying to expand your skill and knowledge base, as it will make you a better overall pilot.

I agree, nothing wrong with a MEP, but I would disagree with a MEP before an IMCR or maybe even before an IR.

Flyingmac
23rd Jun 2011, 12:57
I'd go for the MEP. Google Image Result for http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/cricri/cricri-jet.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/cricri/cricri-jet.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0275.shtml&h=300&w=550&sz=30&tbnid=osL-iv4s4TtCXM:&tbnh=73&tbnw=133&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcri-cri%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=cri-cri&usg=__9jl95073n-bqWiS4U7n_oqOwo2I=&sa=X&ei=WzcDTv7KJ9C4hAf7mNnlDQ&ved=0CEsQ9QEwBA)

Intercepted
23rd Jun 2011, 13:37
I wonder why they have to make those things for pygmies. It looks like the guy flying would need a hole in the canopy for his head. :D

AdamFrisch
24th Jun 2011, 02:24
I went for the MEP and I don't have an IR. Granted, I had to do it as I bought an old twin and had no choice!

I'm very new to ME flying, but it seems like doing it in Europe is almost prohibitively expensive with the fuel costs compared to the US. Maintenance is more and the insurance will have you over a barrell. The price of admission, i.e. buying it, is cheap - many times cheaper than a single, which can be seducing and fooling. The real costs can be terrifying and I've heard stories from owners that would make your b***s shrivel up to the size of raisins. But if you put your mind to it, you can contain it - throttle back, accept slightly more blemishes and find a type that has a lot of enthusiastic owners or a club behind it. Then I think it can be manageable. I'm lucky in that I have a mechanic that only deals with my type and there's a strong owners club that help source parts etc, so so far it hasn't been as terrifying as it could have been. Still, my first tune up cost $12,000 and in just a week she's due for her annual, which will be a good $4-5,000, no squawks. Easy.

Great thing about twins is that you do feel a lot safer over any unfriendly terrain. I'm surprised at how much calmer I feel over water as compared to singles. Just the short jump to Bembridge in the C152 used to make me sweat.:ooh:

madlandrover
24th Jun 2011, 19:31
IMC!! Speaking as an IMC/IR and MEP instructor, the IMC rating is by far the most useful first step. A MEP rating can be a good learning experience but it's then tricky to find twins to fly enough to keep reasonable currency. It would also be annoying to be flying an aircraft with significantly more weather ability but without the extra rating to truly operate the aircraft.

The IMC rating on the other hand is a good natural progression from the PPL and allows you to build your flying experience, accurate flying, etc leaving the MEP rating as a later possibility. If you do do a MEP rating post-IMC rating then ensure your test includes the requisite asymmetric simulated/genuine IMC extras to let you use the IMC rating in a twin as well as a single.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Jun 2011, 20:08

I'm sure that this is true, but an IMC would do that cheaper, or cheapest of all, tailwheel.

G

bwfly88
24th Jun 2011, 20:36
I am planning to go to Florida to do some hours building. Could anyone tell me if I obtain a JAA Night Rating would this be valid to use in America?
Would I have to do an FAA Night Rating instead or is there a process for converting the rating from JAA to FAA?

Genghis the Engineer
24th Jun 2011, 21:49
If you have an FAA derivative licence, all your JAA ratings are valid in FAAland.

G

terryp
27th Jun 2011, 21:15
Thanks for all of the replies folks, I was leaning towards the IMCr anyway and your comments have helped...IMCr it is.

I agree with the various points on the MEP, and I had no specific reason for considering it other than another way of gaining greater and different experiences.:)