PDA

View Full Version : Validity of French Class 2 medical

bobdee
23rd Jun 2011, 06:04
I hold a UK JAR PPL and for the past 4 years have lived in France. At the last medical renewal, the CAA happily accepted a French Class 2 medical examination, but now I see from the CAA website that only Class 1 medicals are accepted from France and Germany. In the past, I had to travel to Spain to get a valid class 2. Whats happening. Has France sinned again?

BackPacker
23rd Jun 2011, 08:11
I don't know what sins France has committed, but my AME is able to do all sorts of medicals. Dutch ones (which are acceptable to the UK CAA) but also South African or FAA ones. All for an additional fee of course.

Heck, they were even able to do an extra blood test which had nothing to do with aviation but was a follow-up for an experimental medicine I've been given in the past. (Which meant I did not have to go to the hospital to have yet another needle poked into me for the regular follow-up.)

So I guess if you talk things over with your regular AME, explain them you have to get a medical that's acceptable to the UK CAA, they can do the test that the French left out, or raise the norms to UK levels instead of French levels, or whatever, and produce something that's acceptable to the UK CAA.

(And to be honest, this is one of the things that I hope EASA is going to sort out once and for all...)