PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Arrivals

SFly
24th Feb 2001, 19:07
Here's a complicated one for anybody flying into MAN. I have no luck finding plates of any kind for MAN and I want to know a bit about it. Let's say we're in a 767 for landing on 24R. . .what would be the procedures after getting past Wallasey? I have flown into here many times (as a passenger) and I want to know how I did it. A recent flight plan tells me we went to a waypoint called MIRSI but I don't know.

Also, how long have these procedures been in effect?

Also, alts and fixes would help.

Thanks to anyone able to help me with this. . .

SFly

Mudflap
24th Feb 2001, 20:12
The MIRSI hold/waypoint has been there for many years and is on the 236 degree radial from POL (Pole Hill) at 25 miles, which is also the 066 radial from WAL (Wallasey)at 17 miles. The hold is a standard racetrack pattern to the right with the proviso that you do not go more than 30 miles from POL on the outbound leg of the hold. The lowest holding level is 6000 feet or the equivalent flight level.In geographical terms I think it is overhead Wigan.

All STARS to Manchester from the south via Brecon ( a Mirsi 1a arrival)the west via Dublin ( a Mirsi 1b arrival) or the northwest via The Isle Of Man ( a Mirsi 1c arrival) all funnel through Wallasey and then on to 'Mirsi'. Tend to get held there about 20% of the time in my experience.

It is used for LPL inbounds as well.

------------------
The Great Deflector

[This message has been edited by Mudflap (edited 24 February 2001).]

SFly
24th Feb 2001, 20:56
Thanks for that -- one more to do with that. . .how does one go from MIRSI to the approach path? How far away from the runway generally do you begin final?

Mudflap
24th Feb 2001, 21:58
Radar vectors from Manchester ATC. Minimum final when visual at manchester (on Rwy 24R at least is 4 miles for noise, Radar positioning is generally no less than 6 miles - can be a LOT more though.

------------------
The Great Deflector

G-BPEC
27th Feb 2001, 20:55
SFly,

I have lived near EGCC for many years now, and so I can tell you what usually happens after MIRSI. Radar vectors are indeed given to the ILS for 24R, (or 06L if that is the runway in use), but lets assume that we are going into 24R on about a 9 mile ILS final. Aicraft usually hold at MIRSI at peak times of the day (early morning and about 6 in the evening) and also whenever it happens to get a bit busy. In LVP's recently there was an Aer Lingus 146 who was in there for over 30 minutes, but they were operating with extended seperation on that day. Under normal circumstances at peak times you can expect to be in the hold for 10-15 minutes.

Most aircraft leave MIRSI on a heading of 090. This puts them roughly on a parralell track for runway 24R. At this point, Manchester is on the left hand side of the aircraft, and Warrington, Lymm and Altringham are on the right. You might be able to see the airfield on the right if it is a nice day. You are left on this heading for quite a while, and after leaving MIRSI at about FL070, you can expect to be descended to 4500 feet on this heading (this is because of any go-arounds from 24R... they have to turn right because of the new runway and they are cleared initially to 5000).

The next step is a right turn
onto a heading which is usually between 130-160 degrees. This is a base leg for 24R. This is normally executed about over Manchester City Center , and once the turn is complete the aircraft is cleared to descend to 3000 feet. The aircraft is now on a base leg for 24R, and its speed will be around 180 knots. On the left hand side is Stalybridge and Duckinfield, and on the right is Denton and Hyde.

Now, one of two things will happen at this point. If the pilot can see the airfield, he may opt for a visual approach and land the aircraft visually (of course this may occur before now as well), in which case he will be cleared onto final, usually descending to 2500 then further visually. The second and more common option, especially in the weather we have been having here at the moment, is a turn to intercept the localizer. The turn is usually to 200-210 degrees. The aircraft will then be told to "descend to 2500 feet then further with the glide". At this point the aircraft will enter a right turn, and almost immediately after leveling out it will capture the ILS and another right turn will be flown onto the localizer. The aircraft will be descending at this point to 2500 feet, and the ILS will take over the descent after that altitude has been reached.

The aircraft is now on finals for 24R, and it is usually about 8-9 miles out when it becomes fully established. The pilot will report that it is established on the approach, and ATC then usually give a speed restriction of 160 knots to 4 DME or similar, and tells him to cal, Tower. After that, he lands.

Of course under various conditions these procedures change, but this is what usually happens.
I hope this is what you were after,

Cheers
G-BPEC

SFly
28th Feb 2001, 02:37
Thanks. . .that really does clear it all up!
Cheers, SFly :)