PDA

View Full Version : RANT XL (Radio Aids Navigation Tutor) as a training aid

HercFeend
15th Jun 2011, 13:04
I'm commencing an IR shortly, does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the RANT (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+RANT-XL-RADIO-AIDS-NAV-TUTOR+6226) training aid?

Any info on the product, it's usefulness, your experienced with it etc would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

JUST-local
15th Jun 2011, 13:22
Top product. The only way I could get to grips with the ADF, saved me thousands!!

I would keep it simple to start off with. Good luck with the IR.

JL.

HercFeend
15th Jun 2011, 13:25
Thanks JL

I would keep it simple to start off with - how do you mean? With regard to setting up the sim within RANT?

JUST-local
15th Jun 2011, 14:05
Yes use a simple panel to start off with, RBI and DI, then when/if it comes to using an RMI it will be very easy and you will have better spatial awareness.

HercFeend
15th Jun 2011, 14:13
Thanks for that.

theflyingbus
15th Jun 2011, 19:04
I used it several years ago for my IR/IMC and now use it to teach/examine IMC, cant rate it highly enough, best 70 quid(?) you will ever spend.

The beauty is you can just push the pause button when you have not got a clue what is going on (for me most of the time), trying doing that in the real thing!

Enjoy the IR, despite the horror stories out there, I thought it was a great experience. (make sure you take a look outside every now and then when in the airways, you get some great views of the world below, that normally only your instructor gets to see!)

'India-Mike
15th Jun 2011, 20:06
Wonderful software - well worth the price, which is negligible in the context of the IR. Enjoy!

HercFeend
16th Jun 2011, 10:02
Thanks for all the useful info guys, I've just ordered it. Looking forward to getting stuck in!!