PDA

View Full Version : tail wheel lock

micromalc
15th Jun 2011, 11:25
Hi All,
Forgive me if this question has been asked a million times before:
I did some "difference" training recently on to a Falke 25c motor glider
and one of the things I found to be interesting was a "locking tail wheel mechanism". What a clever idea.....are there other aircraft with this fitted
and if not why not ??

Zulu Alpha
15th Jun 2011, 13:05
"locking tail wheel mechanism". What a clever idea.....are there other aircraft with this fitted and if not why not ??

Quite a few have locking tailwheels but many many prefer a steerable tailwheel which is easier to taxi, especially with a bit of a crosswind.

micromalc
15th Jun 2011, 16:17
interesting stuff guys, keep it coming

welkyboy
15th Jun 2011, 17:15
Of the aircraft I've flown with lockable tail wheels( Bolkow 207/ DC3) it is unlocked for taxi ing and only locked for take off and landing.

Zulu Alpha
15th Jun 2011, 18:48
With a locking tailwheel it can get a bit busy taxiing as you have to unlock it to turn, but if there is any crosswind then it will tend to swing away from the central locked position. Then you have to use a brake to swing it back to the central position to get it to lock again.

Also, it depends on how you unlock the tailwheel. My throttle was on the left, my tailwheel lock on the right. The easiest was to use left hand on the throttle and right on the tailwheel lock and hold the stick with my knees....until I needed to talk on the radio because the PTT was on the stick.

I changed to a steerable tailwheel and it is so much easier.

Crash one
15th Jun 2011, 20:59
I don' know if it is the same thing but my Emeraude has a "locking" tailwheel (Maul) type. Steered by springs connected to the rudder. No cockpit control, just lock one wheel with the brake & the tailwheel breaks loose until you straighten up when it "clicks" back.

Billredshoes
15th Jun 2011, 22:20
Hi
The AN2 has a locking Tail wheeleeeeeeeeee and do you need IT on landing and taxing in any stornge winds YES YOU DO !!!!!!!!

Crash one
15th Jun 2011, 23:25
That's a steerable but non-lockable full-swivel tailwheel, a different thing.

I'll agree with that description though I don't know enough about the subject or met any other type, apart from the free swinging (swiveling) worn out Scot item that I removed before it killed me.
Presumably a "locking" tailwheel would lock straight fore & aft regardless of rudder position, & not "break out" on application of one wheel brake?

Zulu Alpha
16th Jun 2011, 07:18
Presumably a "locking" tailwheel would lock straight fore & aft regardless of rudder position, & not "break out" on application of one wheel brake?

Yes, and it is released with lever in the cockpit (or full forward stick on some aircraft). When released it just castors freely, the only control over aircraft direction is the brakes and the wind!!.
To lock it you move the cockpit lever to the lock position and then use the brakes to get the aircraft moving straight and it locks.

jgs43
16th Jun 2011, 17:03
The locking tailwheel mechanism in the Falke is not the same as that found in most aircraft with such a facility. It is more akin to the normal type of tailwheel that is moved by rudder action through a spring connection with a breakout facility to permit tight turns/pivoting on the mainwheels. With the lock on, the tailwheel steers with the rudder; unlocked it pivots freely thus permitting a tight radius turn. What you have to remember is to lock the tailwheel before take off and also to taxi straight for a few yards so the the locking mechanism re-engages. Failure to do the latter can result in an interesting take off run particularly in a crosswind.

Them thar hills
17th Jun 2011, 22:56
"Some years ago", several Jungmanns (Jungmenn ??) had to be ferried to England from Spain.
It seems they didn't all get home without a few interesting arrivals due to the unlockable tailwheel being forgotten on pre-landing checks.
:)