PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire passenger flights?

macintosh270
13th Jun 2011, 13:18
Hi,

I am trying to find out where I can get my partner a passenger flight in a Spitfire for his birthday, although I have heard it's unlikely to happen in the UK?

I've been looking through this forum and on Google and see Anthony Hodgson mentioned a lot but all the website links for him is an old domain address.

Does anybody have any idea where, if anywhere, in this country (UK) I could do this. Funds will not allow somewhere like USA etc but Europe could be a possibility.

Thanks in advance, would just love to see his face if I could do this for him :)

Jo

maxred
13th Jun 2011, 14:23
Try giving John Romain, Aircraft Restoration, Duxford a call. He may point you in the right direction. I also know that, up until last year, Anthony was doing passenger seat trips. May not be anymore. It should be possible in the UK.

Danscowpie
13th Jun 2011, 18:56
A good friend did it about five years ago and it cost him an eye watering £1500 for 30 minutes, that said he said it was the best money he'd ever spent (hope his Missus isn't reading this).
I dare say that Duxford is a good enough to start enquiring.

Start saving now. :E:p

Booglebox
13th Jun 2011, 19:03
Danscowpie is not far off the mark. Price is roughly £2,200 for 20 mins, as of a couple years ago, and it's for a T-shirt, the flight is free :}

There may be quite a waiting list as well... I heard rumours that it was upwards of 18 months.

mixture
13th Jun 2011, 19:19
Have you seen this thread (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/345944-spitfire-pleasure-flights.html) ?

max alt
20th Sep 2011, 13:53
If any kind soul has some info on this,could they pm this old aviator and help achieve an ambition.:ok:
Max.

Spit161
20th Sep 2011, 15:31
There have been a few threads on this topic recently.
Maybe give Carolyn Grace a call, she may offer a trip!;)

cheers,
Jake.

Grob Queen
28th Sep 2011, 11:33
Look at the website for the Boultbee Flight Academy in Oxford. They will train you to fly a Spitfire, for a "mere" £52, 000 + VAT!! :\

They also have a Harvard and Tiger Moth