PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Gliding Video

NoTrainingWheel
12th Jun 2011, 19:16
What a fantastic pastime for kids - view a high quality version of the YouTube video here (http://www.stepthru.net/sydney-aerial-photography.html)
YouTube gliding video

maxred
12th Jun 2011, 20:45
Thanks for sharing that, a superb promotional video for all, not only the kids. Yes, back to basics, stick and rudder.

I also liked the relaxed approach from the commentator - excellent.

Humaround
13th Jun 2011, 13:37
Sorry, unless I'm looking at a different video, this one seems pretty dull and pedestrian to me. The script is not well written for voice-over, it sounds like a printed article, and the narrators tone is school-teachery.

Video is well shot but not very varied - I got bored at about 7'50" having seen broadly similar footage since about 5'00" - actually the stream packed up and couldn't wait any longer for any more to download...

(edited to say, the aeros at the end are fun...)

thing
13th Jun 2011, 17:19
I usually find this one gets youngsters interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccL8SwQLuPU

NoTrainingWheel
13th Jun 2011, 22:07
Hear your point Humaround. I believe the video was created by a gliding club on no budget, using the skills of club members, to encourage new enrolments and illustrate the life skills learning to fly engenders as a key selling point. Most importantly they wanted to focus on how safe gliding is and how useful the basic stick & rudder skills are to students who go on to fly powered a/c.

NoTrainingWheel
15th Jun 2011, 20:05
Thing - Curious to know where the fantastic footage in the "extreme" video was shot. Is it Germany?

ShyTorque
15th Jun 2011, 20:25
Yes, the clue was on the introduction to the video. Porta Westfalica 2007.

Having been based in RAF Germany for some time in the past, I also recognised the Minden Gap and the monument they flew past (Kaiser Wilhelm). Back then it would have been quite a risky place to fly at low level, for the likelihood of meeting low flying fast jets or helicopters.

As for complying with the low flying regs? I wouldn't have placed the video, especially as it shows the registration of the aircraft.

thing
15th Jun 2011, 20:47
ST they were ridge flying, they weren't breaking any regs, plus all gliding (as in the UK) is notified. The monument looks like what we used to call 'Herman's Dinkmall' to me although it's 30 years plus since I was in RAFG. You know, when we had aircraft.