PDA

View Full Version : Biplane across America

AdamFrisch
12th Jun 2011, 05:32
I found this funnily written and entertaining trip report flying an old Great Lakes from NY to Seattle. Thought I'd share.

Biplane Trip (http://www.russellw.com/biplane_trip/default.htm)

lotusexige
12th Jun 2011, 13:43
A sort of modern day version of Richard Bach's Biplane Amazon.com: Biplane (9780440206576): Richard Bach: Books

Read it if you ever get the chance.

Squeegee Longtail
12th Jun 2011, 13:49
Read most of Richard Bach's other earlier books also while you're at it!

lotusexige
12th Jun 2011, 14:00
Maybe they should be a compulsory part of flight training.

AdamFrisch
12th Jun 2011, 15:47
I have an old Air Progress magazine where Richard Bach wrote about owning his old Sea Bee and it was a hilarious article. I've ordered some Bach books from Ebay now.

Sir George Cayley
12th Jun 2011, 21:04
There's another less well known book called the Cannibal Queen by Dean Koontz. A tale of his leisurely journey across the states in his Stearman.

It's a gentle tale with a bit too much homespun philosophy, but entertaining just the same.

He wrote Fight of the Navigator which is a good read too.

Sir George Cayley

custardpsc
16th Jun 2011, 14:24
Maybe they should be a compulsory part of flight training

I was at a school not two weeks ago for some training. The owner had JLS behind him on a shelf and I suggested it to the young ppl student he was talking to. The owner promply lent me Biplane from the same shelf. Didn't know it existed. Great book, enjoyed it and I had already been thinking about a taildragger coast to coast trip one day. Now I really have to...

AfricanEagle
16th Jun 2011, 20:03
Best book by Bach for a student pilot is "Gift of Wings". Read it when I was fourteen.

Have read all his other flying books.

And maybe one day my dream to fly across the USA in double wings may become true.

Wireless
17th Jun 2011, 16:54
Here's another good blog about flying a vintage Bird bipe across the States:-

Sam Dodge's Bi-Plane Trip (http://www.samdodge.com/biplane/)