PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Crashes at Ardmore - Again...

S.E.A.L.11
12th Jun 2011, 04:52
Seems the spitty groundlooped and ended up with the nose kissing the ground...again...same pilot, same location. :sad:

Deja vu..?

See: http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/358124-spitfire-crash-masterton.html

c100driver
12th Jun 2011, 05:10
Oh dear, wonder it it is insured and if so does our insurance go up again?

A1228/11 FROM: 09 JUN 2011 22:42 TO: 13 JUN 2011 23:00 EST
GRASS RWY 03/21 CLSD DUE SFC COND

Not sure the Spit was designed for tar seal surfaces!

Konev
12th Jun 2011, 23:38
http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/busey_clapping.gif

slackie
13th Jun 2011, 05:59
From the NZ Herald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10731880)

remoak
13th Jun 2011, 06:19
"It wasn't his fault, but a strong wind came in behind him and just tipped him on to his nose." Mr Brown said the pilot was not injured and the aircraft was not damaged.

Not damaged? I find that hard to believe.

As for "not his fault"... the mind boggles.

Nigel Osborn
13th Jun 2011, 06:27
I remember during WW2, it was quite common for a WAAF to sit astride the fuselage to keep the tail down when taxying. However it had to happen! The pilot took off forgetting about the girl & complained of a CG problem & requested an immediate return. He was invited to make a very gentle circuit so the girl could hop off!:ugh:

NoseGear
13th Jun 2011, 20:51
I've seen the picture, "not damaged"....? Looking at the prop blades bent 90deg would suggest otherwise, so I guess that's a(nother) bulk strip coming up.:rolleyes: And why would you taxi a Spitfire, or any other type, on such wet grass? Its been hammering down here of late, the grass runways are closed, so what on earth was he doing on the grass?:ugh::{ Maybe there is a rational explanation?

Wallsofchina
13th Jun 2011, 21:50
Nigel's got it. Forgotten skills, gravity is still the same as it was in 1941

remoak
14th Jun 2011, 00:49
Ask Dave Brown of Christian Aviation, he seems to have all the answers...

mattyj
14th Jun 2011, 05:43
Wooden prop and low rpm..I don't think it "officially" requires a bulk strip..maybe just a boroscope

NZFlyingKiwi
14th Jun 2011, 06:38
Saw it in the hangar today as I taxied past, "not damaged" is definitely being optimistic, but "less damaged than last time" appears to be an accurate assessment, at least cosmetically.

NoseGear
14th Jun 2011, 19:41
A Constant Speed, 4 bladed, bent at 90 deg "wooden" prop...? Seriously? I guess I just had it in my head it was a metal prop.:oh::confused:

LocoDriver
15th Jun 2011, 00:19
I taxied past the Spit whilst it was on the grass.
The prop blades looked bent well back to me, ....I am sure wood would not do that. ?

mattyj
15th Jun 2011, 06:59
its a TR IX..mark nines have a four bladed laminated wooden rotol prop..

promise..look at photo 2..

Doug Brooker's Spitfire - Photos - Graeme Hill - Weekend Hosts - RadioLIVE (http://www.radiolive.co.nz/Doug-Brookers-Spitfire/tabid/432/articleID/13100/Default.aspx#1)

back me up spitfire experts..?!

Bastardos
15th Jun 2011, 21:32
Yes, four bladed wooden prop. The baldes are manufactured in Germany. The cost of the last lot was $40k per blade I recall...

Shredder6
16th Jun 2011, 02:24
Possibly a bit of prop precesion with a small gust up the ar$e at the wrong time, poor control positioning.

It's never one factor.

Tight turn with high power (small wheels, soft grass) aircraft has tendency to pitch forward (therefore tail up) or back depending on direction of turn and prop rotation.

He should go and do a few circuits in a Cub before getting back to the Spitfire!

remoak
16th Jun 2011, 06:05
Yeah it's far more likely that the aircraft stopped abruptly when taxied over soft ground. Oh look, a NOTAM saying the grass runway is closed due surface conditions... now I wonder what that means... :(

What a eff-wit. Don't let him fly it again!

Spits are quite happy on tarmac surfaces, ask the chaps at Duxford. Just land into wind.

chute packer
16th Jun 2011, 07:03
Its his Spitfire, he paid for it, therefore he can fly or crash it however he wants. When you get your own you can do the same.

remoak
16th Jun 2011, 07:15
Does that mean that if I could afford to buy the Mona Lisa, I should be allowed to cut it up for confetti?

If you don't understand the concept of moral responsibility as applied to classic aircraft, you are just another bogan...

mattyj
16th Jun 2011, 08:59
scratch a bogans 65 thunderbird with left hand drive..in gloss black with orange flame and he'll cry for a minute, then cut you bad dude..priorities! :*

remoak
16th Jun 2011, 09:12
Well true, but bogans shouldn't be allowed to have 65 T-Birds either! :}

LocoDriver
17th Jun 2011, 01:32
Just to clarify one point.... the grass runway was closed, the Spit landed on the seal, it came to grief on the grass between the seal and the taxiway... after it cleared the runway to taxi back. This grass was open.....

cheers

mattyj
17th Jun 2011, 10:56
maybe it got stuck in the wheel ruts the mustang made doing the same thing a couple of years ago:rolleyes:

remoak
17th Jun 2011, 11:47
I suppose the main point is that the damage isn't severe and the old girl will live to fly another day... wherever the fault may or may not lie...