PDA

View Full Version : IPAD 2 and Air Nav Pro

good finish
11th Jun 2011, 19:13
i have a wifi only ipad 2 and have downloaded the air nav pro app.
it works fantastically well on the ground and i'm well impressed.
however, it does not get a gps reception in the air despite been mounted with unobstructed access to the sky.
does this app only work when you have the 3g ipad 2 version? nothing on the air nav website to help or other forums i've seen.
many thanks for any assistance

good finish
11th Jun 2011, 20:04
thank you cjboy for such a quick and helpful response.
does anyone have up to date recommendations for the best gps to use with an ipad 2.
many thanks.

Contacttower
11th Jun 2011, 20:11
I don't really know much about this subject since I tend to stick to Garmin stuff but this (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+GNS-5870-GPS-Bluetooth-Receiver-for-iPad-iPhone-and-iPod-touch+1774) might be what you are looking for...

good finish
11th Jun 2011, 20:29
thanks contacttower
there is that model (gns 5870) and one or 2 others that come up on the forums.
would be very interested to hear feedback on which ppruners have experience of and their recommendations.
many thanks

AdamFrisch
11th Jun 2011, 20:42
You can also get the Bad Elf gps for the Ipad2.

Bad Elf | Bad Elf GPS for iPod touch, iPhone, & iPad (http://bad-elf.com/products/gps/)

toptobottom
12th Jun 2011, 13:14
interesting thread (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/450408-ipad-only-apps.html)on the rotorheads forum

Squeegee Longtail
12th Jun 2011, 13:38
I have ipad2 and Air Nav Pro with the GNS 5870 bluetooth gps. All works very well. Have back up on the back up with Air Nav Pro on iphone 4. That works well too.

Forget the expensive fitted stuff!!!

Add AeroPlus and WeatherPro and that's your weather sorted too!!

bodemory
12th Jun 2011, 21:26
I also bought an ipad 2 wifi only and needed a GPS. The Bad Elf is very good but I was afraid of damaging both the GPS and the ipad connector in the cockpit. Therefore, I've been looking for a bluetooth GPS. The GNS5870 has apparently a tricky power switch that would easily turn on in the bag. I finally decided to buy a bluetooth XGPS150 and I'm happy with it. There's one bug with this unit : it loses signal above 10'000m, but the firmware update will be available within the next 10 days.

HTH

Fly747
13th Jun 2011, 05:30
Their tech specs say max 1000kts and 18,000m which is enough for me.
Has anyone on here tried it in an airliner yet and above 10,000m? The CAD don't want us using the ipad in flight for manuals even, they'd have a dicky fit to see it being played with in flight as a GPS!

Fly747
13th Jun 2011, 05:44
Has anyone compared the ipad 2 3g with internal GPS to using an external device? I'd imagine that the external device would be better as you can put it wherever necessary for the best reception.

good finish
13th Jun 2011, 20:15
having read around the forums the consensus seems to be that bad elf is not the way to go due to the risk of damage and also the need to keep the ipad in clear line of sight of the sky.
the choice is then between the gns 5870 and xgps140 - does not seem much between them - gns is about £30 cheaper. gns has a sliding on and off switch which could be a problem but no reports that it actually has been. other than here seen no comments on performance at altitude.

AdamFrisch
13th Jun 2011, 21:07
I was choosing between a wireless and a plug in device for my iPad 2 and concluded that the wireless solutions are susceptible to two annoying things:

They need to be charged separately.
The wireless connection can be disrupted.

I'd rather take the little Bad Elf thing sticking out as it's hardwired and you can
charge both the iPad and the Elf at the same time with the same cable.

good finish
13th Jun 2011, 21:39
Adam
Fair points.
I presume you are happy with the bad elf?
What is the impact on the iPad2 battery when bad elf is connected?

AdamFrisch
13th Jun 2011, 21:55
I just got it, so haven't had enough time to play around with it long enough. But I will get back to you as I might have a flight later in the week where I can test it properly.

good finish
20th Jun 2011, 08:34
Bought the gns gps at aeroexpo at sywell
Transair say they have sold a lot however they do not stock the bad elf
The sliding on off switch is a poor design but very appleish ie you slide your finger to start. I do not think this is a problem if you create a little storage box for it.
Will report back once. Have used it in anger

gyrotyro
20th Jun 2011, 08:45
I have an ipad 2 (3G) with Air Nav Pro and it works fine in my aircraft. Just pay the extra £100 and get the 3G version. Less kit to clutter up the cockpit with.

I have bought a suction cup type mounting for the ipad that cost £17.50, it works fine in the aircraft and also in my car. I use NAVMII in the car.

# (http://www.navmii.com/)

£2.99 for the UK database and the same for France. Just used it touring the vineyards of the Loire Valley.

Who needs a TomTom now?

Romeo Tango
20th Jun 2011, 11:05
I have IPAD2 +Air nav Pro mounted on the yoke in my Robin (built in GPS). Works well (though I have a plastic roof).

I have a matt film stuck on the Ipad display which makes it much more useable.

Bill

good finish
20th Jun 2011, 13:22
Gyro tyro
Thanks for the tip on Navmii-looks good
The issue for gps is what to do when you have already got a wifi only iPad
I have to say that having a separate gps is already a bit of a fag.

Squeegee Longtail
20th Jun 2011, 15:22
Have to say that now I have been using both the ipad/gns and iphone 4 (both with Air Nav Pro) for a few weeks in anger, I hardly look at the ipad now, but find the iphone (suckered to the side canopy) is sufficient. I didn't even bother taking the ipad today.(I do have a 296 also in the cockpit but don't use that either now!)
Depends what you do, I suppose, but for VFR planning & referencing it's as good as you need.

good finish
22nd Jun 2011, 18:51
Used the gns 5870 today for the first time with the iPad 2
It connected really easily via bluetooth - very simple
Kept the connection with no issues
Air nav pro very good
However, no getting away from the fact it is another piece of kit to remember and to keep charged-although it does come with a cigar charger for which I have a socket in the aircraft-is the same charger lead as used for air box gps and other things.
So my advice is
A -if you haven't bought an iPad yet make sure you get a 3G one
B- go for a bad elf as it is less hassle
C-gns does the job well and can be used where you iPad is not pointing at he sky

Captainkarl
22nd Jun 2011, 22:01
Ive been in contact with the developer for the past few months. I have been giving my own wishlist of features to make it a good rival to other platforms out there! I have seen a screen shot of the next updated version currently under beta testing....watch this space :ok:

good finish
25th Jun 2011, 08:38
Captainkarl
Are you referring to the iPad or gps?
If the iPad what will be better from an aviation perspective?

Captainkarl
25th Jun 2011, 14:31
The ipad app/software. Greater situational awareness of terrain is a key thing I have noticed and this includes a secondary map/view for this. If you can host I will email you the screen shot...

Squeegee Longtail
26th Jun 2011, 06:30
One thing that bugs me no end on the Air Nav Pro for both ipad and iphone is the map doesn't auto scroll.
Is there any way to make your a/c symbol stay central and for the map to move?
I lost my symbol a couple of times yesterday!!

rocco16
27th Jun 2011, 18:46
It does autoscroll, click the symbol on top left to toggle this on.

toptobottom
26th Aug 2011, 10:30
WingXPro7 Links to Aspen Connected Panel (http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/)

IO540
26th Aug 2011, 11:06
How much of the terrain coverage is European?

Humaround
26th Aug 2011, 11:09
"I have to say that having a separate gps is already a bit of a fag."

I agree, though the GNS 5870 does work very well in the cockpit and you can place it somewhere it can easily see the sky. My iPad was a surprise gift and the kind givers didn't get me the 3G model.

One drawback I've found with the GNS is its clever but gimicky power on-off system - you swipe your finger across its tiny screen - problem is, I slung it in my bag turned off and at some point it turned itself on in the bag and exhausted its battery.

I guess I need to find a small container to keep it in.

WingXPro looks interesting - this is not the same developer as Air Nav Pro is it? I can't see anything about European mapping.

toptobottom
26th Aug 2011, 11:49
IO540:
How much of the terrain coverage is European?

Good question! It looks as though none at the moment; there's no mention of European maps in the FAQ but I've emailed and will post the response...

Humaround - different developers; WingX Pro7 is from Hilton Software LLC, Air Nav Pro is from Xample Sarl.
:ok:

IO540
26th Aug 2011, 13:43
Is there an Ipad compatible GPS which has an external antenna socket, and can drive both one Ipad and one standard serial NMEA device at the same time?

It is really dim of Apple to use a nonstandard GPS protocol. None of my NMEA ones are even visible to the Ipad.

toptobottom
27th Aug 2011, 08:47
Thanks – any idea on timeframe?!

Not at this time.

Thanks,
Support Team

From: Support Team - Hilton Software LLC [mailto:[email protected] ([email protected])]
Sent: 26 August 2011 15:51
To: toptobottom
Subject: Re: Love the WingX Pro7...

...but any plans for European charts?

We're working to get this data.

Thanks,
Support team

IO540
27th Aug 2011, 14:43
Having been keeping half an eye on the aviation gadget scene for a decade or so :) I can tell you that this is the norm.

There are loads of very slick American-aviation products around but when you get stuck into the detail you find dirty great holes.

toptobottom
21st Oct 2011, 09:34
iPad iOS 5 safety alert (http://www.flyingmag.com/avionics-gear/portablehandhelds/ipad-pilot-safety-alert?cmpid=enews102011)

ExSp33db1rd
21st Oct 2011, 10:11
I've just copied the text of that article into the other iPad - GPS Rubbish ? thread, post No. 44.

Caveat emptor.

Tupperware Pilot
21st Oct 2011, 17:19
I have an Ipad2...3g+wifi. have been using it all day with memory map with no issues.

ExSp33db1rd
21st Oct 2011, 21:23
I have an Ipad2...3g+wifi. have been using it all day with memory map with no issues.

Yet.

Murphy is always with us.

Mark One eyeball. ( if that fails you wouldn't be able to read the Memory Map either )

IO540
23rd Oct 2011, 06:29
A detailed explanation is here (http://www.marco.org/2011/10/13/ios5-caches-cleaning).

Goodreader stores its PDFs in a "Documents" directory ("folder" in modern speak). I know this because I use Iphone Explorer, not Itunes, to put stuff directly in there, using drag/drop, and IE shows the app's directory structure (or at least the relevant part of it). Also I know that if one then does an Itunes sync, the whole damn lot gets copied to the PC... so those docs are probably safe.

Apple are going to have to fix this really fast. It basically affects just about every "serious" user. Speaks volumes about what they think their real customer base is :yuk:

Swissconsult
23rd Oct 2011, 10:54
Peter,
Thanks for mentioning Iexplorer, I downloaded, great Stuff!!
Finally I found what I been missing. THANKS !!
Heinrich

IO540
23rd Oct 2011, 15:06
One thing to watch with Iexplorer:

It uses Apple DLLs etc, so you have to install Itunes, which can then be immediately uninstalled, because it leaves the Apple libraries behind.

I don't know if this is still a current issue but Apple broke those supporting libraries recently, and Iexplorer stopped working. I have it working fine on one PC which I never update otherwise. However if you have just done a fresh install and it is working, then GOOD but I suggest you don't update Itunes because you might get the buggy DLL (no idea which DLL it is; the Iexplorer developer won't say).

If your Ipad is jailbroken, IE gives you total access with drag/drop into any app's workspace. On a non-JB Ipad, you get access to directories which the app's developer decided to allow access to.

sid wells
1st Dec 2012, 20:42
Just joined - and looking at air nav pro on my iPhone:

For the 3D data this (AHRS-G mini for iPhone/iPad) looks pretty essential - ya?

Introducing the AHRS-G mini for iPhone/iPad - YouTube

tmmorris
2nd Dec 2012, 10:37
UK support for the synthetic vision?

No,I thought not.

Tim

GOJIM
5th Jun 2013, 14:31
This may not assist you either, but I have a similar problem. I have a Wi Fi only Ipad and have downloaded Air Nav Pro and purchased (on recommendation) a Garmin GLO.

I cannot receive a signal on the ipad when in the aircraft and even when at home on wi fi, when I :bored::bored:choose 'nearest' it selects an unknown location 3000 miles away ??

Very disappointed after downloading all the charts etc. My friend has a 3G Ipad which works fine with Nav Pro.

Where are we going wrong. Ive reverted back to my 496.

Dark Helmet
6th Jun 2013, 09:39
I have a wi-fi only iPad2 with a GNS 5870 bluetooth GPS. Works perfectly with AirNav Pro and the CAA charts. I have used it in Cessnas, Robins and a PA28.
Using the GPS sharing feature it also lets me use my iPod Touch with AirNav Pro running on that as well at the same time.

At home without the GPS and just on my home wi-fi it seems to use the location services and puts me reasonably close to my house.

InfraBoy
28th Aug 2013, 10:57
Hi all, just chanced on your thread discusion.

I'm doing my ATPL groundschool with Propilot at the moment so last year bought myself a second hand 3G Ipad 1 for the studies. Amazed with it's flexibility I flew around France for a week using Air Nav Pro on it's internal GPS in my Bulldog with the French charts uploaded - excellent! I bought a GNS 5870 but it's so annoying to turn on and off that I don't bother with it. Air Nav Pro is also on my iphone as backup. Full size iPad being so big it's too much for shorter flights but was exceptional for long distance touring.

This year I've upgraded to a mini iPad (again second hand) and have RunwayHD running on it with Pooleys plates, SkyDemon lite for planning (I prefer the NOTAM layout) and Air Nav Pro in case I need it. Still using the mini iPad internal GPS and I have to say it's excellent. Because of its smaller size it mounts neatly in the top left of the panel of the Bulldog (if you search for zackspeed280 on youtube it's visible in some of my more recent videos and the old ipad 1 maybe visible on last years Samur Formation) and having the plates georefferened on it is fun too.

My iPad Mini is contained within a very secure case with a cover so can't get scratched or broken if dropped. That then fits into a mount that is RAM mounted to a RAM mount bolted to a screen upright. (amazingly the mount is designed for a motorbike cross bar and is only available from one shop that I could find online - in Aylesbury 6 miles from my house!). iPad 1 as originally on a flexi-mount off the screen - no good for over 2G...

I did run Skydemon full on a trial and it works well, I just prefer to have the exact chart on my iPad that is in my hand (or these days in a pocket!). There are always times where it's easier to refer to a paper chart.

I am surprised at the number of people that forget that 'wi-fi only' means exactly that! The devices location signal on the ground is from wi-fi not GPS. 3G mini's are the only minis with an internal GPS. As an aside I'm currently mulling over a revised panel that will just have a few steam driven instruments in the centre and a pair of full size iPads on either side for the pilot / P2. Air Nav Pro EFIS works very well and on the full size iPad gives you all the info you could ever need with the chart and route with EFIS selected! Just remember it's ground speed LOL!

Bluemenico
11th Apr 2014, 09:14
Me too own a fantastic :ok: Robin ATL/L here in Italy and I fly using a Ipad1 3G/GPS with Air Navigation Pro…. and I'm very satisfied of them but I have only some doubt about the internal gyro and EFIS functionality!!
Have you or your friend some experience of them or some trip to give me??
Bye Bye :)

twinny
11th Jul 2016, 15:41
In your case you have to add a gps receiver. They are for sale in the US for approx. $ 90.- and are as big as a matchbox

Heebicka
12th Jul 2016, 08:08
I have wifi only ipad (Ipad mini 2) so no GPS. It is possible to share an Iphone gps data to airnav pro in non gps ipad. It needs Bluetooth pairing. Initial setup was a bit tricky but works fine.

http://xample.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1460798-pairing-2-devices-with-air-nav-pro-ios

foxmoth
12th Jul 2016, 09:27
Suprised no one has mentioned the Garmin Glo for a GPS reciever, works on a Bluetooth connection.
Garmin GLO Portable GPS/GLONASS Receiver for Mobile 010-01055-15 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1153714-REG/garmin_010_01055_15_glo_portable_gps_glonass_receiver.html?g clid=CKWV0tPN7c0CFUokhgod7IkHRw&c3api=2572%2C113041717267)

JDJ
12th Jul 2016, 23:52
This thread began 5 years ago - I guess the Garmin Glo wasn't available... :)

Brad2523
18th Jul 2016, 19:45
iPad 2 3G (no sim in it) and sky demon works a treat - some folks say the gps reciever in tablets aren't strong enough, though I am yet to loose signal or overheat with this.