PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Germany (Cologne)

CaptainCrunch
21st May 2001, 19:26
What-ho, flying types.

I'm a Brit working in Germany and later this year I'll be off to the US for my PPL. However, it does now look as if I'll be coming back here to (wonderful)Cologne for a two year posting. So, does anyone have any experience of flying on Germany as a non-speaker. I can get by in Deutsch but wouldn't want to need to rely on it to save my life in a boobs up situation. As the international language of aviation in English does that really, genuinely mean that all ATC chaps here will do the business in the Queen's Own or will I be throwing sausages out the window at them in frustration? Are the procedures different here? I mean, is it even advisable for a US / UK trained pilot to start his aviation years in Germany? I can see the advantages - no channel to cross to go to France / Holland / Belgium (!).
Seriously, any advise re. the above or even of schools / clubs you know of would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks all,

Cap'n C.

TR4A
22nd May 2001, 09:14
I flew in Germany when I was with the US Air Force. Very professional and perfect english by the controllers. The only german that I heard spoken was "Guten Tag" from the Clearance Delivery at Frankfurt.

FL310
23rd May 2001, 14:57
Just have a go at Bonn-Hangelar airfield, they will welcome you, it is just a few miles from 32L at CGN...
Do not go to Leverkusen...a bit of a strange atmosphere there....
Plenty of small flying clubs and airfields with nice attitude...
If you want to start flying in Germany...all exams are in German language....

questions? [email protected] (http://[email protected])

Mark 1
23rd May 2001, 16:20
I had a brief spell in Koeln, living near Leverkusen. They were quite OK about me flying in there from the UK, but I believe there is a 1 year plus wait to join the club and you have to help with the running of the club. The flying costs though were a lot less than at Bonn-Hangelar and there was the opportunity to partake in other airsports.

The club at Aachen (Duren) also seemed very friendly when I visited them and isn't too far away.