PDA

View Full Version : Aero Expo - flying in

vfr-uk
9th Jun 2011, 18:05
I'm hoping to fly in to Aero Expo this year.

I've never flown into an event like this before and just wondered what to be prepared for. The procedures seem pretty detailed and well explained (here (http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/documents/aeroexpo2011procedures.pdf)), but I'm guessing there will potentially be a lot of aircraft converging from all directions, and all into a busy and unfamiliar assembly area and holding pattern? One particular thing that struck me was the notion of no radio calls required until on final - even when approaching the assembly area.

Another recent thread contained a general note to a newly passed PPL about not flying to the Expo without an experienced pilot in tow. I just wondered how experienced others were before attending such an event, and what it was like the first time? Any tips?

I'm low-ish hours but pretty current, and it would be a great thing to do....

Thanks

IO540
9th Jun 2011, 18:31
Simply, the best thing is to arrive before the hordes :)

If I was going to Le Touquet on a Sunday, I'd definitely want to land well before 10am :)

Mind you, with 24 pages it may be simpler to drive there...

vfr-uk
12th Jun 2011, 17:15
Thanks IO540.

I was also wondering what it's like when you arrive in potentially crowded skies. I'm imagining a scene out of Top Gun!!

What's the protocol, especially in a non-radio call environment (as Sywell have suggested) how do you ascertain where everyone is and who has right of way?!

Sir George Cayley
12th Jun 2011, 20:58
Between the EAA and Oshkosh Tower they manage to land more a/c on one field in a few days than are registered in the UK.

Nuff sed.

SGC

vfr-uk
13th Jun 2011, 07:42
Thanks SGC.

I'm aware there are loads of events with more aircraft than will go to expo, but I was more trying to get an idea of what it was like the first time you attended such an event - and other than keeping eyes and ears open - what to look out for.

Rod1
13th Jun 2011, 08:29
Learn the procedure so you do not need to look in the air

Keep a very good lookout

Get there very early before the rush

If you are unhappy, follow the procedure and get out of the area. You can return when you have settled down, or divert (have this well planed in advance).

Rod1

soaringhigh650
13th Jun 2011, 11:02
I am pleasantly surprised that a Towered (Controlled) airport is not used for such an event like this.

Rod1
13th Jun 2011, 11:59
In the UK “proper” ATC does not work for events like this. We used to have the biggest flyin in Europe – the PFA rally. One year the CAA mandated full ATC and imposed an order of magnitude increase in complicity including the “Lullington hold”. This was to go gone in history - songs were written about it! It is said that you can still hear the pitiful radio calls from people who had been going round and round forever. By late morning of the first day the ATC people walked out and the pilots just got on with it. The result was a very successful event with minimal incidents!

Rod1