PDA

View Full Version : Training area overhead Southsea - UK..?

iflyboeing747
20th May 2001, 21:55
MAY20 - 1800LT, Southsea - UK..
What was G-SJCH doing at such a low level - over flying again and again..?
Was it a training flight, sightseeing tour or what..?

We were sitting in front of our diner plates - thought we should enjoy a tranquil diner - when we heard an aircraft passing overhead. “Well I thought - even though we moved down here to avoid the noise of aircrafts - we probably can’t avoid an occasional one flying overhead..”

BUT - the above mentioned registration (twin eng. turbo-prop..?) continued circling - at such a low altitude that I was able to recognize the registration from where I was sitting.

Please guys - is it really necessary to spoil a nice Sunday diner like that..?
There must be other - remote - patterns to do training flights, where you don’t disturb family diners..?

BTW - it’s not the first time I’ve noticed the same aircraft flying low in this area.
Is there really an official training area overhead Southsea..?

Snoopy EGUS
20th May 2001, 22:09
Hi IF747,

It was the Hants Police Air Support Unit. They are based here at Lee-on-Solent and fly a turbo Islander. It's usually used for aerial observation of events, tracking stolen cars, following crims on the getaway etc.

Shouldn't think it would be training, at least not over Southsea.

Snoopy

[This message has been edited by Snoopy EGUS (edited 20 May 2001).]

Delta Wun-Wun
20th May 2001, 22:12
Sunday Dinner not spoilt as much and certain sections of society could spoil it if these chaps weren`t in the air.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

iflyboeing747
21st May 2001, 11:30
..oohhh - I see, thanks for the info - nice to know whats going on in your local area..
Certainly wouldn't like to stir up comments about law enforcement duties - and BTW the diner was not that spoiled, I was merely wondering - a good glass of red wine solved that..ha..ha..

paulc
21st May 2001, 15:23
first post on here >g

The turbo islander mentioned carries the registration G-SJCH (Sir John Charles Hoddinott - excuse spelling if wrong) as he was a recent Chief Constable.

On another point - did anybody see the display by the swordfish and Sea Fury on Sunday morning - superb.

Lee-on-Solent is now home to a catalina flying boat which is undergoing restoration with another one to be flown down in a few weeks time. Email me for more details

regards
Paul