PDA

View Full Version : alcoholic beverage

girlpilot1978
19th May 2001, 20:29
I'VE READ ABOUT THE MICHIGAN TWIN MODELS GETTING ARRESTED DUE TO ASSAULTING THE AIRLINE CREW MEMBERS BECAUSE OF THE NUMBER OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES THEY HAD. CAN THAT BE STOPPED? IS THERE A NUMBER OF DRINKS THAT THE PASSENGERS CAN HAVE? I FRIEND OF MINE TOLD ME THAT MOST OF THE AIRLINE "ISSSUES" ARE ALCOHOL RELATED. TRUE OR FALSE?

------------------

JB007
19th May 2001, 21:28
I would have thought a very high % were alcohol related, the odd exception been a very depressed and on medication chap going to Nairobi!!

I'm afraid as far as I'm aware no airline has yet limited the amount of drinks fare paying pax can have..doesn't really make good buisness sense.

Down to the very good judgement and experiance on behalf of the cabin crew on whether someone should have that extra drink!

Just a thought though...we've banned smoking, why not alcohol on flights ??? It seems to be just as much a safety threat.

------------------
Regards JB007!
[email protected]
Flight Ops,Crewing and Dispatch Moderator

Spoonbill
20th May 2001, 00:16
I'm with you on that one JB! It defeats me why airlines bother serving alcohol on any flight, other than to make money when it's a pay bar.
If they need it to subdue their nerves, give 'em tranqulisers and put them all together in a section of the aeroplane where they won't impede the escape of others!

------------------
It wasn't me.

Pielander
21st May 2001, 13:36
I've often wondered about the wisdom of taking people's cigarettes off them during a time of stress (either flying specifically or travelling in general) and offering them a drink to 'calm the nerves' instead. It sounds really stupid when you put it like that, and I'm surprised it's still legal to serve/consume alcohol on board an aircraft.

I suspect it will remain an acceptable practice right up to the point when a fatal alcohol related incident occurs.

Any thoughts?

Pie

Evo7
21st May 2001, 14:56
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
I'm surprised it's still legal to serve/consume alcohol on board an aircraft.
</font>

It seems to me that the real problem is that Joe Caveman drinks his bottle of Duty-free Vodka, and blaming the airlines for serving the passengers drinks is missing the point a bit. I've never wanted more than a couple during a flight, but I very much doubt that I would be served with enough to get drunk - I guess the most I've seen being served is a couple of G&T's followed by a couple of minature bottles of plonk with the meal. That particular passenger got an earful from the stewardess, but only because he was stuffing his bag full of the freebies and not drinking it....

It should be simple enough to stop passengers taking booze on board - after all, we already have a security check - so why not do it?
Give passengers their duty free once the aircraft lands, and have a four drink limit on the flight. That would be plenty for most people, I'd think, and then problem solved?

DeltaTango
21st May 2001, 19:02
"Just a thought though...we've banned smoking, why not alcohol on flights ??? It seems to be just as much a safety threat."

first of all-I did'nt know smoking was banned because of safety reasons?!?!?!?
and that's bad enough, but to ban alcohol aswell?
Do you want to KILL the pax?

Oh, and give them tranqualizers....I've got a better idea-let's put them ALL to sleep for the duration of the flight-
we save on cabin crew
we can fit more people in there...

I really do not subscribe to the American view:
someone does something-we'll make a law against it.
you just can't...most people hate flying because of the hassel, boring in flight movie, bad food cramped seats, and now the smokers can't even pass the time with a cigarrete and a few drinks....ok, he can still have the drinks but if you take that out - what's left?
"sit up straight, be quite, and just be happy we don't drug you to sleep"-and thak you for flying air nono.

there MUST be another way.... :rolleyes:

DT

Pielander
21st May 2001, 21:22
Evo7

I agree that moderate drinking shouldn't be a problem for most rational people. Unfortunately, real life evidence suggests the contrary. I have spent many a night dealing with people who have had a negative reation to alcohol, and it's much harder than flying a plane.

It is not always possible to tell how much alcohol someone has consumed just on cursory inspection, some people become aggressive after only a moderate amount of drink. It can take a fair bit of skill to convince someone they have 'had enough', and after having seen what I have seen (from students at a reputable Uni at that), I am inclined to stand by my original sentiments unreservedly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember my HPL correctly, the effect of alcohol is doubled at 0.7 atmospheres with respect to that at sea level. Picture this then:

A group of 10-15 'lads' are off on a 'lads' holiday to Ibiza. The flight gets delayed by a couple of hours, so they have a couple of cans at the bar. Although they are in high spirits, they are by no means drunk, and so they are allowed on the flight. Once on the flight, they have a couple more drinks, and by the top of climb, they are feeling the effect of the equivalent of about 7 drinks. They are now beyond 'high spirits' and have started to alarm the other passengers. A cabin attendant tells them they have 'had enough' but they disagree, then the fun starts..........

You deal with it then! :)

Pie

Evo7
21st May 2001, 22:52
Pielander

Darn, if it wasn't for you pesky kids... :)

You are, of course, completely correct. It's not as cut and dried as I might like to think of it, and I feel for the poor lady or chap who has to deal with your scenario - in fact, given the $hit that the hosties and stewards seem to have to put up with, I'm amazed that anyone does the job at all.

My point, I guess, is that in most of the situations we hear about the passengers involved seem to be extremely drunk - it's not just a couple of beers, a couple more, and spirits getting a bit high (no pun intended). You'll always get some cases when a few drinks get someone out of control, just as you'll get the odd nutter trying to crash the plane while sober. I'm guessing, but it seems that that you could cut the problem down some by limiting the cause, and maybe you can have a stab at doing that without denying the rest of us our (one) G&T.

Locking the *****ers up for a damn long time would help, too.....

All the best,

Evo

(Edited! for, shockingly, bad: punctuation. :) )

[This message has been edited by Evo7 (edited 21 May 2001).]