PDA

View Full Version : FAA licence in San Diego

Sparrowhack
6th Jun 2011, 14:16
I'm about to take the plunge and book myself in for an accelerated PPL course in California ... and I'm after recommendations. After reading horror stories about the few JAA schools in the US (particularly one on the West coast although I'm wondering whether the litany of complaints about it are out of date) I've decided to get an FAA licence and convert when I'm back in the UK.

I have read everything I could get my hands on about the various schools (including really useful reviews on PPRune), I've written to them all directly and set out a lovely spreadsheet with pros and cons (am quite chuffed with that ;)). One school in particular looks good to me - San Diego Sport Flyers - but I can't find any information about them on here or any other GA sites. I've also tried the BBB check but came up with nothing. Has anyone had any experience with them? They use Sportcruisers and fly from Gillespie Field. I've been impressed with their contacts so far but would really appreciate any other thoughts!

Many thanks

Sparrowhack
6th Jun 2011, 15:30
Thanks, I'll send you a PM. And if anyone else has seen them or strongly recommends another school in the area, do shout.

SH

Heliplane
6th Jun 2011, 16:15
I have rented fairly extensively from Orion Aviation at Palomar-Carlsbad (KCRQ). Slightly further north of San Diego itself but a nice airfield and professional organisation. I haven't been there for about 3 years but would definitely go back.

Sparrowhack
6th Jun 2011, 19:11
Hi SoCal,
Thanks very much for your sage words of advice. I've seen your many postings on the SEVIS issue and I took comfort from the fact that the company says on its own website that it is "...proud to be authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant foreign students."
Sport Flyers | Sport Pilot Training | Private Pilot Training – San Diego Sport Flyers (http://www.sandiegosportflyers.com/browse-49858/International-Students.html)
However, they've just told me that they've stopped! So I'm back to square one and beware, any fellow prospective PPLs from outside the US.

I take your point about the convenience of doing a JAA course in Florida but I have personal reasons for being in San Diego (and it's supposed to be lovely!) so I'm still looking for a Part 141 school in your neck of the woods for an FAA licence. If you have any recommendations to add in to my spreadsheet I'd welcome them. PM if you feel more comfortable, of course.

Thanks again. PPRuNe is an amazing resource.

SH

Duchess_Driver
7th Jun 2011, 17:54
Did my FAA stuff with CFA also out of Gillespie.

I understand that they've just gon throughna change of management but a friend of mine who is there at the moment says the quality is still there.

Try California Aviation School, San Diego (http://www.flycfa.com) for contact details. Yes they are 141 and SEVIS approved.

HTH

Duchess

P.S. And yes, it is lovely down there.