PDA

View Full Version : lay overs

girlpilot1978
19th May 2001, 09:55
DO COMMERCIAL PILOTS GO HOME EVERY NIGHT? WHAT IS AN AVERAGE LAY-OVER? SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT SOMETIMES COMMER. PILOTS HAVE TO STAY 2-3 NIGHTS TO WHERE THEY HAVE THEIR LAY-OVERS. IS THAT TRUE? I WANT TO BE A COMMERCIAL PILOT, BUT I AM WORRIED ABOUT NOT COMING HOME EVERY NIGHT BECAUSE I AM A SINGLE PARENT. I ALSO HAVE SUFFER FROM STOMACH ULCERS. WILL THAT AFFECT MY JOB AS A PILOT? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW TO BE A COMMERCIAL PILOT. I ALSO WANT TO KNOW IF I HAVE TO PAY MY OWN HOTEL AND FOOD IN CASE THERE IS A LAY-OVER.

------------------

Iz
19th May 2001, 10:50
Hi girlpilot!

1. Whether or not you have layovers, depends on which airline you work for. Some have almost none, some have a lot. It also depends if you're flying short haul or long haul. Many times, a layover is required to get your legal required rest period. Layovers can range from between 1 night to a week, typically.

2. I don't think that this job would be good for your ulcers!

3. If you do get a layover, the airline will pay for all expenses, your hotel, car and food.

Since you're never sure what airline you'll end up working for, it's a good idea to find a nice babysitter already! :) Good luck

Iz

TR4A
20th May 2001, 10:10
I am a pilot for a US major, flying domestic. I am typical on the road 3 to 4 days a week. The hotel is paid for by the company. We receive per diem to cover our food expenses. There are some one and two day trips.

[This message has been edited by TR4A (edited 20 May 2001).]