PDA

View Full Version : ChartAir Precautionary Landing Stuart Highway

AussieNick
6th Jun 2011, 06:34
ABC News
A small plane has taken off from the Stuart Highway and flown to Alice Springs after an emergency landing this morning.

Pilot praised for emergency outback landing - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/06/3236808.htm?section=justin)

Hasselhof
6th Jun 2011, 06:39
But only after they told their passengers to call their loved ones :E

PLovett
6th Jun 2011, 06:40
Mmmm.........so it had a problem producing enough power and carried out a forced landing........then the aircraft is flown back to Alice Springs to investigate why there was a power problem. :confused:

T28D
6th Jun 2011, 08:09
Maybe Carby Icing ?????

lurker999
6th Jun 2011, 08:09
Plane lands in scrub, pilot praised | News | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/06/06/238401_ntnews.html)

"The plane was examined and a fuel problem attended to before it was flown back to the airport a short time later."

Hasselhof
6th Jun 2011, 08:28
Maybe Carby Icing ?????

You serious?

Grogmonster
6th Jun 2011, 10:10
Hasselhof,

I am with you on this. Since when can a fuel injected IO-520 suffer from Carb Icing. I bet there was a fuel problem that was "attended" to. I won't speculate, as many do, and regardless of the problem I congratulate the pilot for accepting there was a problem and handling it in a professional manner. As they say it is far better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. If the only damage on the day was a bit of pride then it is a fantastic result.

Groggy

tmpffisch
6th Jun 2011, 10:37
Sounds like a flameout...wasn't quick enough with the EPL?

Jabawocky
6th Jun 2011, 10:41
Bug nests in the fuel tank vents?

Hasselhof
6th Jun 2011, 10:41
Hey Groggy

I have to admit, I feel bad. When carby ice was mentioned there wasn't actually any reference to a C210, just a single engine Cessna so carby ice could have been a possibility. I guess I shouldn't expect everyone to know the Chartair fleet. But you are correct, the picture in the second article shows a C210.

Cheers :ok:

Hoff

QSK?
7th Jun 2011, 03:12
If she landed in the scrub only 200m from the highway, it begs the question why she didn't opt to land on the highway? It's not that busy with cars is it?

Horatio Leafblower
7th Jun 2011, 06:36
Judging by T28Ds other posts, I am fairly sure he/she was firmly tongue-in-cheek when suggesting Carby Ice as the culprit! :eek:

VH-XXX
7th Jun 2011, 06:50
I'm not surprised she landed in the scrub.

For engine outs:

I've always considered a road to be the LAST place to land during Day VFR.
I've always considered a road to be the FIRST place to land during NVFR.

QSK?
7th Jun 2011, 07:03
Triple x-ray:I've always considered a road to be the LAST place to land during Day VFRWhat's your rationale for that if you don't mind me asking (just curious)?

The Green Goblin
7th Jun 2011, 12:13
Wasn't the same chick who flew from Alice with the tow hitch still attached to the nose wheel?

Even managed to retract and extend the gear completely oblivious to what was attached.

Funniest thing I have ever seen as she taxied in. Although it could have ended in tears. I often wonder if the CP got a phone call that night :cool:

Another reason why they should stay in the kitchen hey fellas :E

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Jun 2011, 13:05
I've always considered a road to be the LAST place to land during Day VFR.

Interesting perspective XXX - I've been on more than a few roads in my time!

I remember reading in the Crash Comic (the real one) many years ago about a lightie with an engine problem trying to land in a tight paddock - clipped trees and speared in - right beside a perfectly usable road where length was not an issue.

I realise that powerlines can be an issue adjacent to roads, but that can generally be sorted with a good look on the way down.

Dr :8

Timocracy
7th Jun 2011, 13:20
Roads are a mixed bag

east coast = bad idea due power lines and traffic.
Alice springs = good idea, no power lines, little traffic and long straight stretches.

Heard ATC recommend a road near the rock today to a pilot having trouble maintaining VMC.

VH-XXX
7th Jun 2011, 13:48
Valid point thanks Timo.... and good call DR. East coast, down south, far better options off-road, but sure, inland, the roads would be a better option.

QSK, had my fair share of out landings and often the road is very skinny, has white posts, power-lines, a lot of camber, potholes, not to mention the occasional car and truck.

BULLDOG 248
8th Jun 2011, 00:45
XXX... We must of had the same Instructor???? It was drumbed into me never ever ever land on roads for the same reasons you mentioned!!!!!
Went straight out the window 5 years later after an engine failure in central NSW, I picked a nice big flat field (looked ok from 5000ft) only to change to a road at about 500 due to it being ploughed. Road was gravel, skinny, with lots of camber and I thought f#$k camber as I flared!!!!!!! At the end of the day it really was a no brainer, but it's amasing how hard it is to change your mindset from what you have been taught from day 1.

The Mentalist
8th Jun 2011, 05:15
Back in 2008 the same company had a B58 land on the road due to fuel issues. ie; not enough to get back to Alice. Hopefully not the same issue again.

Mr. Hat
8th Jun 2011, 08:39
Wasn't the same chick who flew from Alice with the tow hitch still attached to the nose wheel?

I remember this one. Had conflicting stories on who it was. As far as I know this person is still flying.

DUXNUTZ
9th Jun 2011, 06:31
Amazed (more like gobsmacked) it didn't strike the prop at some stage.

Aerodynamisist
12th Jun 2011, 00:37
I don't know how you would pick a busted fuel line up pre flight without pulling the cowls off, might be easy on a Beech or a Piper, but Cessna only give you a few little access doors to get at the oil filler and dipstick.

She should get a prize for forced landing of the year.

Xcel
12th Jun 2011, 01:13
I used to have my guys completely decowl all aircraft as part of the preflight for the daily... Aircraft not hangared, out bush, with thisands if things crawling around making nests etc. Especially just after maintenance, the things I've found prior to test flights etc using this method would make your skin crawl...

Capt Claret
13th Jun 2011, 00:08
Just because there's not a lot of traffic on the Stuart Highway, it doesn't mean there weren't a couple of 60+ tonne road-trains full of fuel bearing down on the intended landing spot. :ooh:

VH-XXX
13th Jun 2011, 00:20
Alaskan bush pilots can land on ANY road. Just choose a spot between the cars and down you go!

Lasiorhinus
13th Jun 2011, 05:10
How do you pick a spot between road trains coming towards you?

Any road eh? Lets see them tackle the Monash Freeway in peak hour :E

Brian Abraham
13th Jun 2011, 05:13
Lets see them tackle the Monash Freeway in peak hour Nothing moving at that time of day so would be just a regular rough bush strip landing. :p