PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong at Biggin Hill in June ?

tva164
2nd Aug 2001, 20:08
Does anyone know yet why those two vintage aircraft crashed like they did at this year's air show? I was there on the second day and saw the Cobra go down - happened too fast to comprehend why...anyway if someone knows more, it would be interesting to know. Thanks.

[ 02 August 2001: Message edited by: TVA164 ]

Konkordski
3rd Aug 2001, 12:33
TVA,

Spent the day at AAIB in Farnborough recently, saw the wreck of the Cobra and got talking with one of the investigators.

No conclusions yet on the cause but there's an AAIB line of inquiry questioning an apparent deterioration in performance during the Cobra's display on the day of the accident. The investigator tells me that the aircraft was falling out of loop sequences earlier than expected, and that this was causing substantial concern to the authorities -- enough for them to try to end the Cobra's display as soon as possible.

He says that the inquiry is considering whether this performance problem might have been due to a mechanical fault in the aircraft's propulsion system or whether the pilot might have been affected by fumes from the engine -- which, in a Cobra, is directly behind the cockpit. But the probe is still in its early stages, mind. :(

tva164
3rd Aug 2001, 13:36
Thanks for the update . . just one more question about it - what did the wreckage look like . .are there still big chunks or the plane left or did the tin kickers have to get it back in bits and pieces?

Cheers

Konkordski
13th Aug 2001, 15:45
As I'm sure you can imagine, most of the aircraft is in tiny pieces. The fin is more or less intact, as are the tougher components such as the engine and prop. From what I saw you could probably fit the rest in a broom cupboard. Not a pretty sight.