PDA

View Full Version : Shifnal Microlight Strip

stiknruda
5th Jun 2011, 19:50
It's not for everyone as it is quite short but a friendlier more helpful welcome would be hard to find anywhere.

It's just a few minutes in a car to my parents house and closer than Sherlowe which is now too short for me.

They are having a fly-in on the last w/e of this month.

Stik

Zulu Alpha
5th Jun 2011, 21:13
I think I heard you talking to Lakenheath on your way back today, just North of Chatteris.

stiknruda
6th Jun 2011, 09:17
Yes ZA - having intermittent issue-ettes with my transponder. Outbound on Sat, both Lakenheath and BHX gave me codes and SSR id'd me.

Return journey Sun both stations could not rx my return but my box was blinking away every time it was interrogated.

Any ideas anyone? - I am NOT great with avionics!

Rod1
6th Jun 2011, 10:37
Is the arial clean and conected?

Rod1

stiknruda
6th Jun 2011, 11:35
Rod1 - I assume it's connected (I'll go and have a look in a sec) and it's definitely clean, (my aeroplane is kept clean - I even cleaned the belly at Shifnal!) so, else how else would the unit know if it was being interrogated if not through the antennae?

Rod1
6th Jun 2011, 18:59
A very dirty antenna can have unpredictable consequences as can an intermittent connection.

What was the landing fee?

Rod1

stiknruda
6th Jun 2011, 19:08
landing - an eye watering £3 :eek:- all of which goes to the local air-amby:)

manix-cs
6th Jun 2011, 20:30
Ideal for a visit to RAF Cosford air museum as well, only a £6.00 / 10 minute taxi ride. Useful as RAF Cosford itself is only available 10.00 to 16.00 Mon to Wed for civilian traffic.........

Rod1
6th Jun 2011, 20:38
stiknruda

Lots of people saying it is not sustainable and you have to charge £50 or it is not fair on GA?

Sounds like my sort of place – I will add it to the list.

Good luck with the Xponder – if you know someone with a PCAS you can use it to test the Xponder on the ground. Useful if there is a bad connection etc.

Rod1