PDA

View Full Version : gloucester airport

aerofoil1
3rd Jun 2011, 23:46
good morning all
im landing at gloucester airport in a couple of weeks and doing some pre flight planning
is it tricky getting in and out of there?
the flight guide says make a standard overhead join but doesnt seem to mention any circuit directions any advice ?
thanks all

stevelup
4th Jun 2011, 09:02
When you make the joining call, ATC will tell you what type of join they want you to do, and will tell you which runway is in use and the circuit direction.

It's best if you have already picked up the ATIS - it will make the radio call shorter.

It's usually an overhead join but they will often give you shortcuts.

Pace
4th Jun 2011, 09:47
Aerofoil

It depends on which runway they have in use, whether there is IFR traffic and your experience and aircraft.
In a twin I have rarely been asked to join OH and usually manouvre to get a straight in or down wind.
Contact them well out with what you would like and they will usually ask you to report again at 5 miles.
Once on the ground and taxying if your not familiar with the airfield have a good chart at hand as taxying can be quite complicated.

Pace

Mariner9
4th Jun 2011, 12:42
Well you could always consult the AIP.....

Circuit Procedures a. Fixed-wing circuit height 1000 ft QFE. Rotary circuit height not above 750 ft QFE. Runway 04, 09 & 18 LH circuit, Runway 22, 27 and 36 RH circuit. Direction may be varied by ATC.

tdbristol
4th Jun 2011, 13:09
Hi, I am now based at Gloucs so used to it, but it can seem a lot the first time there if you don't have a reasonable amount of experience, particularly where to go in the overhead join. I would suggest working out the day before/on the day which runway is likely to be in use, then work out the overhead join and the taxi route.
Depending upon which day/time of day it can also be busy on the radio, so suggest be well prepared for this also.
The ATIS is receivable some way out so this gives you some time before arriving to confirm the runway in use (and QFE/QNH etc.) / re-work your overhead join if you have to.

aerofoil1
4th Jun 2011, 13:29
some great advice there from all, im flying in with my instructor this is my second land away and its a pretty big step up for me im prefering to use the 1/4mill chart problem is i need 2 of them as the england and wales chart only covers as far south as tewkesbury!! so ill have to plan on two maps but i find its easier to navigate at least until i get more experience really looking forward to the flight though

2 sheds
4th Jun 2011, 18:11
Aerofoil

Full marks for wanting to plan and be properly prepared, but should not your instructor and your flying training organisation be guiding you on what to do and how to find your way around the AIP to get all the information you need?

2 s

PS Use a half-mil chart !

aerofoil1
4th Jun 2011, 18:54
indeed you are right as in any flight preparation is the key really dont want to cock it up especially the RT ive got over a week to plan so i have plenty of time just never flown into an airport with IFR traffic before should be interesting

stevelup
4th Jun 2011, 19:02
The vast majority of the approaches at Gloucester are VFR - it's unlikely that you'll experience anything out of the ordinary aside from it being rather busy on a weekend.

tmmorris
5th Jun 2011, 17:41
I did Gloucester on my QXC and it did seem big and scary the first time (that changes with experience!)

As said, get the ATIS early if you can (do you have two radios? if so use box 2, if not you'll have to get it between your old frequency and the Gloucester Approach one). Also look at the wind before you leave your home base so you have a good idea which runway or runways to expect (but don't get stuck in that mindset and ignore what the ATIS actually says!)

Otherwise, if they want overhead joins then make sure you are confident. The easiest way I have found is to approach the airfield at 2000ft AGL keeping it on the same side as the circuit direction (e.g. if it's LH, then on your left) and fly a circle round in the overhead until you are over the numbers of the runway you want. That puts you in position for a deadside descent without having to do any more turns.

Tim

aerofoil1
6th Jun 2011, 10:38
Cheers Tim hopefully all will go ok really looking forward to it hope the weathers ok on the day nothing more frustrating doing all the pre flight planning then low cloud spoils the day fingers crossed for week on tuesday has any one found google earth flight sim useful I have you can practically fly the route with out getting off the sofa good for practice I'd say

JOE-FBS
6th Jun 2011, 10:46
Gloucester is one of the standard QXC desinations where I fly so me and loads of fellow club members went there when very inexperienced. Despite its size and how busy it is, Gloucester is friendly and easy to fly in and out of. It even has a NDB and DME to help find it (not to mention the M5 and the GCHQ building).

If you have time, there is a nice cafe near the terminal and fuel pumps. You cannot miss it, there is a Gloster Javelin mounted outside.

aerofoil1
6th Jun 2011, 15:28
im quite sure we will have time for a coffee once ive paid the landing fees ouch!!! the M5 and river severn should keep me on track