PDA

View Full Version : RVSM query

yash
1st Jun 2011, 15:34
Hi

I just gave my ATPL Oral exam with Indian DGCA , the examiner asked me this question , Can anyone please tell me the right answer for this one :

You are flying in a RVSM airspace and your Auto Pilot goes off , you have to fly the a/c manually , at the same time your communication with Ground Control is disrupted, you can talk to other A/C's but not ATC.......now what should we do ?

oxenos
1st Jun 2011, 17:11
One of you should concentrate on flying the aircraft, concentrating particularly on the altimeter.
The other should get another aircraft to relay the message to ATC.

yash
1st Jun 2011, 17:34
That definitely sounds like a reasonable way to get out of the situation , i wonder why i didn't think of using the other pilots help in this .

Just extending the scenario here for my knowledge , if the Radio is a complete failure and Auto pilot goes off then what do we do ?

FlightPathOBN
1st Jun 2011, 18:07
The chart should give radio out instructions...

Checkboard
1st Jun 2011, 19:36
You are no longer RVSM without an autopilot, hand fly and relay the "Negative RVSM" message via the other aircraft.

Milton1995
1st Jun 2011, 21:52
Im not a commercial pilot, a young student here, in this situation would you implement the 'sqwawk 7600' rule or is this not relevant?
Thanks
M1995.

Intruder
2nd Jun 2011, 01:46
While PF is flying, PM asks another aircraft to relay your failure report and request for descent clearance out of RVSM airspace. Then work out desired route for diversion if necessary.

yash
2nd Jun 2011, 05:22
Thanks for your inputs everyone .

Checkboard
3rd Jun 2011, 06:50
in this situation would you implement the 'sqwawk 7600' rule
No, your radio is fine (if you have contact with other aircraft), you are simply out of range, or there has been a failure with the ground station.

mustafagander
3rd Jun 2011, 09:05
How I would handle this set of problems is first, get off the RVSM airway as per Jepp charts - 5nm I think. Then establish comms with the relevant authority, by relay if necessary, and obtain an appropriate clearance reflecting your now non RVSM compliant status. By definition you are non RVSM without an autopilot with a serviceable height lock.

Microburst2002
3rd Jun 2011, 19:24
RVSM airspace is very generic, if you are not in an airway but in a direct routing to a waypoint, instead, you can't but keep tracking to it.

It is mainly a comms problem. Solve it by relayed messages to ATC to obtain a revised clearance, then comply with it.

If the comm problem is a lost comm (radios inop) then that is your main problem and you have to keep last assigned FL, etc, etc... even if you are not RVSM. Or would you carry out a specific airspace contingency procedure (such as NAT, for instance) to go off airway then descend to non RVSM flight level knowing that you cannot establish radio contact with anybody?

Last Ditch
4th Jun 2011, 03:56
Yash, I agree with Microburst2002.

Don't leave FL unnecessarily.
Try and relay your 'Negative RVSM' status.
Fly accurately.
When ATC is in picture, they will establish separation based on the situation (minimum 2000ft separation). They are at liberty to change your FL to achieve this.

Descend out of FL.... only when you cannot maintain FL e.g. engine failure, pressurisation failure etc.

Importantly, AIP on the subject is a- must read.