PDA

View Full Version : Mode C into EBOS?

noblue
1st Jun 2011, 14:30
As the Belgian AIP is behind a (48hr delayed) password barrier, can anyone advise if I can fly from the UK into Ostend with just a Mode C transponder? I heard that things got stricter from 1st March, but I can't get to see the chapter & verse.

geertvds
1st Jun 2011, 14:58
from the AIP:

1.2 AIRCRAFT EQUIPMENT

In order to improve safety, aircraft operating within Oostende CTR and Oostende TMA One shall carry a serviceable transponder capable of replying to Mode A and C. An exception to this requirement may be granted by Oostende ATC upon request by telephone before the flight.

geertvds
1st Jun 2011, 15:03
some more notes:
- Phonenumber listed in AIP: ++32 (0) 59 55 12 02
- there are 4 mandatory VFR reporting points
- after landing you will have to follow a follow-me car for taxiing. These people should be nice enough to drive you to the terminal by car.

Katamarino
1st Jun 2011, 15:12
Don't try and come to Rotterdam, whatever you do :} They lure you in and trap you here! :sad:

Jan Olieslagers
1st Jun 2011, 16:37
Flying in from the UK, the O/P would need to get to the terminal to clear customs indeed. But if one flew in from a Schengen country, could one request taxiing to the aeroclub, probably avoiding expensive main apron parking fees?

nick ritter
1st Jun 2011, 16:42
Noblue,

I was in Ostend this past weekend, before taking the train into Bruges. We only had mode C. and the whole process was extremely straight forward, and I didn’t find it strict at all.

There are the supposed 4 mandatory VFR reporting points, but in reality as I was routing in from Konan to KOK they just told me to tell them when I was approaching the coast line, and then they just said follow the coast line up until you see the runway and then finally they gave me a choice if I wanted a left or right hand circuit. Couldn’t have been easier

Some man in a van turns up and takes you to your parking bay and then to customs

Enjoy your trip

noblue
1st Jun 2011, 22:02
Thanks for all the info. I am reassured that a vfr arrival should be straightforward and that Belgium is still accessible with Mode C.

Pity the sodding shareoplane doesn't yet have Mode S, as it would have been a great IFR trip to use my newly minted IR :ok:

Stampe
1st Jun 2011, 22:28
Been to EBOS quite a lot recently in my mode C aircraft.No problems very straight forward and welcoming.A great destination,bus goes from outside terminal to city centre/rail station.

dirkdj
2nd Jun 2011, 06:06
You can also take the tramway, it runs along the entire length to the belgian coast, from De Panne to Knokke.

ppl_fresher
21st Feb 2012, 16:39
Sorry to flog a dead horse here - but I'm now somewhat confused.

As geertvds pointed out, the AIP says you need mode A or C to get into EBOS (this applies to all class C airspace).

The CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=810&pagetype=90&pageid=9752) however references a newer belgian AIC stating that from 1 Jan last year, Mode S is needed in all airspace where SSR was previously required.

So does this mean I need Mode S to get into EBOS, or can I call in advance to get an exemption, or even just call on the radio and let them know?

India Four Two
22nd Feb 2012, 00:40
Hi pf,

Note that the AIP says "Mode A AND Mode C", not "OR". This is just a complicated and confusing way of saying that you need Mode C (altitude reporting). Setting the transponder to Alt means that you are squawking in both modes.

Simon

ppl_fresher
22nd Feb 2012, 13:06
Thanks Simon,

I appreciate that the AIP effectively requires a mode C transponder, but the more recent AIC seems to imply that mode S is now needed to enter Belgian Class C airspace.

Or am I misunderstanding something (others in this thread don't report any issues even after the mode S requirement was introduced last year)?

Jan Olieslagers
22nd Feb 2012, 13:16
I searched the Belgian AIP but could not find any description of the transponder requirement at all? Any pointers?

ppl_fresher
22nd Feb 2012, 13:34
See ENR 1.2 section 2.1.2:
2.1.2 Carriage

The carriage of a serviceable transponder capable of replying to Mode A and C is compulsory for all aircraft operating:

in class C airspace
in all MIL controlled airspace.

An exemption to this rule may be granted, provided that the request is made before the FLT to the authority having jurisdiction over the airspace concerned.
AIC 2008-05 refers to Mode S:
For VFR flights, conducted in airspace where currently the carriage and operation of SSR transponders is mandatory:
A Level 2 transponder is needed with Elementary Surveillance (including SI-code) functionality as a minimum, compliant with ICAO Annex 10 SARPS, with effect from 01 JAN 2011.

Ninja edit: Interesting that the AIP only says carriage is a requirement, where the AIC says demands carriage and operation.