PDA

View Full Version : Question on licences.

billiboing
30th May 2011, 18:29
Has anyone here ever flown the AMF Chevron motorglider. I did many years ago. It is a three axis motorglider that is certifed as a microlight. If someone has an old style PPL that also has motorgliders on it- can you fly such a beast. What about an NPPL fixed wing, or do you need a microlight fixed wing licence-

Maybe being legally a motorglider and a microlight you can fly it on any of the three???? :ok:

All so confusing!:eek:

Any help most appreciated!

Im sure the CAA will say:=

znww5
30th May 2011, 18:50
My first stop would be the BMAA, helpful bunch in my experience.

Oldpilot55
30th May 2011, 19:08
The Chevron is a microlight and you can fly microlights on a PPL.

Genghis the Engineer
30th May 2011, 19:40
Yes I've flown several.

Lovely easy to fly aeroplane, just about good enough glide ratio to thermal it engine-off, needs a bit more runway than the average microlight, but 400m is just about enough and 500m is comfortable. Good enough payload for 2 adults and a couple of hours fuel, and incredibly quiet. Poor climb rate - around 350fpm at sea level. Small stick movements but okay stick forces, small and irritating, but non-dangerous Dutch Roll most of the time.

Needs hangaring.

Still, just about, supported by Aviation Enterprises at Membury, but get your permit renewal done by a local independent BMAA inspector and Check Pilot - it'll be faster and cheaper. Engine parts may be hard to get hold of.

And yes, any of PPL(M), NPPL(M), NPPL(SSEA)+differences, PPL(SEP)+differences will do you.

Last I saw one for sale, they were pretty cheap.

G