PDA

View Full Version : A320 Autoland

MD83FO
26th May 2011, 15:05
Bit confused with autoland limitation.
What's the lowest minima that we can use on the a320 when approaching at landing elevations grater than 6500 feet?
Thanks.

Microburst2002
26th May 2011, 15:51
Each model is certified to a different maximum elevation for autoland. Usually, to the elevation of the highest runway where the airline has a route.

Below that elevation, you can carry out autoland. Above, you cannot (CAT 1 minima, only, no autoland). It can occur that with the 320s of my airline I cannot make an autoland in a given airport but those of yours can.

PantLoad
26th May 2011, 16:31
Have a look at the Airplane Flight Manual for that particular
aircraft.

Interesting, too, are the abnormals related to Low Viz....
and the associated actions....This, also, found in the AFM.

Of course, you have various sources of information....for
example, your company's SOPs, the Airbus FCOMs, the
Airbus FCTM, the aircraft's AFM..... Take the most
conservative, most restrictive of all.....

I've seen the AFM be more restrictive than the company
SOP....relative to some issues. In that case, you need to
respect the AFM....and, notify someone in the training
department of this situation.

Fly safe,

PantLoad

Harry Cane
26th May 2011, 16:46
Have a look on FCOM 3, 3-01-22. In my company's FCOM 3, there are some limitations to carry out autolandings, max airport altitude must be at or below 2500Ft. and also autoland is not allowed below -1000Ft. pressure altitude

cheers

H. C.

MD83FO
27th May 2011, 05:05
I see.. Then its aircraft and operator specific. On our 320s the limitation for autoland is specified at 6500'. does that mean that i can fly a cat 2 approach observing the limitation of disconecting autopilot at 80 feet when performing manual landing?

guiones
27th May 2011, 05:41
FCOM 3.01.22 will tell you what option your Airline purchased for each aircraft. the A320 series is certified up to 9200' Autoland.

MD80FO, on CAT II, the lowest minimums are 100' RA, once you have the runway in sight you can perform a manual landing.

It also applies for the "NO FLARE" fault(in any auto-landing) if you have the runway in sight you can continue with a manual landing and rollout; either that or perform a go-around.

G