PDA

View Full Version : VFR flights in ash cloud

VMC-on-top
24th May 2011, 11:25
Apologies if this was covered last year - can't find the thread and can't find anything on NATS either.

Are VFR flights still permitted by NATS in the affected areas during this latest ash cloud situation ?

IO540
24th May 2011, 11:28
It appears so from here (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70471).

VMC-on-top
24th May 2011, 12:03
Where does it say that VFR flights are still permitted?

IO540
24th May 2011, 12:10
Anything not explicitly banned is permitted.

There has to be a statutory instrument prohibiting flying.

The CAA apparently drew one up last time but never actually used it.

avonflyer
24th May 2011, 13:01
we certainly flew all through the last incident with no issues or restrictions. BUT, I am talking PA28 flying at no more than (approx) 3000 ft. I am told there was no sign of anything abnormal in the air filters.

More to the point is every incident is different so what happened last time MAY not hold this

Contacttower
24th May 2011, 13:09
Had a look at the Met Office Ash Advisories - one thing I didn't quite understand is what "Aviation Colour Code: Red" means.

Does that refer to the geographical area on the map or does it mean the area in which the ash is anticipated to be most dangerous for aircraft?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1306239041.png

Genghis the Engineer
24th May 2011, 13:58
Red is more than 4,000 microgrammes/metre _cubed, which is the no-fly limit for jet aeroplanes.

Realistically, piston engined aeroplanes are unlikely to notice it but I'd check the filters are up to date and, if appropriate, oiled before flight to be on the safe side.

G

Contacttower
24th May 2011, 15:12
Red is more than 4,000 microgrammes/metre _cubed, which is the no-fly limit for jet aeroplanes.

Is that the limit that was established last year after the previous eruption?

IO540
24th May 2011, 15:17
I am just wondering, if I take an airline flight Gatwick to Greece, whether I am likely to get stuck there.

With the TB20, it's going to be a whole lot easier...

Katamarino
24th May 2011, 15:34
Peter, if my Amsterdam to Gatwick flight is cancelled on Friday, will you come and pick me up? :p

Contacttower
24th May 2011, 15:52
I'm slightly confused as to exactly what rules the CAA have implemented on this occasion...

Any UK airline wishing to operate in areas of medium or high density ash, will need to have a safety case accepted by the CAA. Many airlines already have such safety cases in place and agreed for medium density. None has so far submitted a safety case to operate in high density ash.

That is what it says on their website, what is the definition of an airline though? Would that refer to all AOC holders for example? As discussed on Flyer the danger zones do not appear to actually prohibit flight in the affected areas so I assume Scottish Control are still issuing clearances to those who want them through the area?

I'm not actually planning on going flying in the near future, just trying to understand exactly what the rules mean.:confused:

Edit to add: Ryanair website is claiming the CAA has "closed airspace" in Scotland, surely that can't be true?

Genghis the Engineer
24th May 2011, 16:25
Is that the limit that was established last year after the previous eruption?

Yes, although the way the rules have been implemented is very different. Things are now managed within airline SMS (Safety Management Systems) rather than by blanket rulings.

This should be no issue for a small piston-engined aeroplane, firstly because the air into the engine is filtered, and secondly because the combustion chamber temperatures are too low too melt the ash. The big concern I'd have, because this is another hydro-eruption (through a glacier) is if you've spent any time smelling "rotten eggs" in which case you may have flown through sulphuric acid. If that happens - give the aeroplane a VERY thorough drenching wash, including EVERY steel part of the aeroplane -bolts, engine mounts, brakes, the lot.

G

Flylogical
24th May 2011, 17:26
The last time this happened, Ronaldsway ATC (EGNS) "closed their airspace". That meant nothing could fly within their airspace (VFR, IFR, no-FR-whatsoever...). I know because I'm based here. Couldn't even book-out....

Crazy -- because the satellite images of the ash cloud -- at the peak of it's impact over UK --revealed it to be many, many miles away from EGNS airspace. Skies were blue...couldn't wait to go flying....No chance.

So, good luck

Fly Meister
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
....Google iNavCalc and iMetBrief if you haven't already done so (will make your flying life easier)

proudprivate
24th May 2011, 20:55
This should be no issue for a small piston-engined aeroplane, firstly because the air into the engine is filtered, and secondly because the combustion chamber temperatures are too low too melt the ash.

One can only applaud that CAAs and Transport Ministries have learned from last year's debacle. I recall trying to convince a knowledgeable Belgian ATC officer into pulling some strings to get a VFR clearance for a business trip I had planned months in advance, using the above argument. He told me "I know, and it's embarrassing to say, but orders to close the airspace to VFR traffic too came straight from the cabinet :\"