PDA

View Full Version : Micro Light from York to Sydney

Dubaian
24th May 2011, 09:55
Met a guy in a bar here in Doha. Got talking - he was a pilot spending an extra day in Doha while waiting for the weather to clear.
So what - - you might say....

Well he's flying a microlight from York to Sydney, unsupported, and he's wheel-chair bound. Quite a guy.

Read more here and maybe support him. I donated the equivalent of my bar bill on the spot. And wished him 'Happy Landings'

Solo Flight Global (http://www.soloflightglobal.com/)

Cusco
24th May 2011, 10:30
Remarkable feat:good luck to him

The last microlighter to attempt such a trip in 2010

perished on the first day: (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1244349/Microlight-pilot-Martin-Bromage-killed-crash-English-Channel-day-charity-flight-Australia.html)

J.A.F.O.
24th May 2011, 10:35
I met him at Aero Expo a couple of years ago, great bloke, inspirational, I'm really glad to see he's on his way, I wish him ll the best and have donated.

Genghis the Engineer
24th May 2011, 11:18
I met and flew with Dave a few years ago when he needed a bit of help getting a set of disabled mods approved. Nice chap, very determined, I can only wish him very best of luck.

G

Dubaian
24th May 2011, 11:46
He had a very rough couple of hours into Doha on Saturday - serious dust storms and virtually no viz for a while. I think the updates on the website route tracker and blog are a day or two behind. He was hoping to get away to AUH on Monday (yesterday) - weather permitting.
Hope he makes it.

Dave Gittins
24th May 2011, 11:59
Which bar were you in ? Equivalent of the bill is a hefty donation.

I'm a bit surprised at his route into Doha, I wouldn't have wanted to fly over all that sea. I'd have expected him to coast in at Madinat and follow the Shamal Road. I notice his track doesn't follow the runway at Doha .... but I guess he didn't need 14,500 feet and could have just landed on the Aviation College's taxiway.

What a fantastic adventure .... now I've found the web site (thanks) I'll follow his progress.

SpeedbirdXK8
24th May 2011, 12:53
I also met him at Aero Expo and what a great guy. He called me a couple of months ago to say he about leave for his epic trip. Good luck and God's speed :D

Dubaian
24th May 2011, 13:08
The bar on the 12th floor of the Mercure. Not too many drinks - my glasses of wine are cheap there - about £15 I think ;)

Edit £15 was the bar bill = donation. Not the price of one drink - sorry

Fake Sealion
24th May 2011, 13:48
I used to fly a lot from Rufforth and usually saw Dave there. I was always full of admiration to see him flying his microlight and just getting on with it.

Didn't know about this trip however until this thread. Just looked at the website.

Extraordinary achievement if he makes it. Worthy of some real recognition?

All the best Dave - your nearly half way I reckon? :ok:

fernytickles
24th May 2011, 17:22
What an incredible adventure! :ok:

Jan Olieslagers
24th May 2011, 17:24
... not to mention the incredible budget.

kevmusic
24th May 2011, 22:59
I was there to see him off at Headcorn. The vis was terrible that day - I breathed a real sigh of relief when he got safely over the Channel!

Good luck, mate! :ok: :D

Dubaian
26th May 2011, 12:00
The blog in the web site now tells the tale of his hairy sector into Doha. However no sign of the tracker nor the blog having been updated since then. Hope he's OK.

Utrinque Apparatus
26th May 2011, 13:45
Fine as far as I know, but troubled by a transponder failure and waiting for a promised replacement. Epic flight, wheelchair bound maybe, but the gonads are all there for sure. Needs recognising surely. We give awards to dumb footballers, popstars and tv "celebrities" for just turning up for work in the afternoon

ADB25
27th May 2011, 14:33
If you want a low hour student pilot, i'll steal number 2 seat :P

Best of luck to you Sir!

Dubaian
29th May 2011, 07:11
Met a guy in a bar in Doha - deja vu - bumped into Dave again on Thursday evening.

As posted above, he's had transponder problems. Now fixed. He got away to AUH Friday morning and going by the tracker he's had a hop up to DXB and back since then. He is now on the way to Muscat. Just coming up to the Hajar mountains

Good luck to a guy who just doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word NO.

EDIT over the hills and safely into Seeb Intl..

Morris542
29th May 2011, 18:35
Incredible story. I'll be donating. Best of luck to him!

PompeyPaul
30th May 2011, 04:32
£15 a glass of wine ? That sounds exactly like the sort of place they should hold a major footballing tournament, something like the world cup. NOT!

Dubaian
30th May 2011, 12:38
Not one glass - sorry my post was not clear. It's about £3.50 for around 125ml - I'd had a few while chatting to Dave.
But that is the cheapest place in town for wine (French managed hotel - they want to encourage wine drinking - even though it's a Soave !!!)
But you're right - Qatar has a lot to learn about hospitality in general and hosting mega sports events in particular. Most places are >£6 /pint.
That's if the 2022 WC stays with them ..... ?????

On Topic - I see Dave's made it safely over the water to Pakistan today. Looking forward to the blog updates when he has time. He won't be enjoying a beer or two tonight in Gwardar. ;)

Oldpilot55
31st May 2011, 15:32
It looked like he was heading straight to Karachi then he turned a sharp left and ended up on the Pakistan side of the Iran border. I guess the winds were not as favourable as he had hoped. He is doing well. I'm guessing the flying is the easy part of the trip, dealing with the eastern bureaucrats is not my idea of fun.

Dubaian
1st Jun 2011, 05:50
Looks like he made it to Karachi but might be having transponder hassles again? Long period with no track markers. Let's see what the blog says when Dave updates....

Yes the hassles on the ground are many and varied - but the flying isn't all easy. I've seen the bruises on Dave's elbows from fighting with the bar - not a pretty sight.

Genghis the Engineer
1st Jun 2011, 06:43
Yes the hassles on the ground are many and varied - but the flying isn't all easy. I've seen the bruises on Dave's elbows from fighting with the bar - not a pretty sight.
A long flight in very thermic conditions in a flexwing is an experience! Those used only to flying aeroplanes with conventional controls and high wing loadings probably underestimate just how "interesting" Dave's flight probably is being.

G

Katamarino
1st Jun 2011, 08:32
The track markers come from the SPOT GPS Tracker, not the transponder, I think.

Oldpilot55
1st Jun 2011, 08:40
I didn't mean any disrespect to Dave and apologise if my comments were taken that way. I'd forgotten how physical flying weight shift aircraft is.
I do know that dealing with customs, immigration and the entire flying bureaucracy in Asia is a nightmare.

Dubaian
1st Jun 2011, 10:27
KatamarinoThe track markers come from the SPOT GPS Tracker, not the transponder, I think.Ah thanks - I think you are right. That might explain the jaunt from AUH-DXB-AUH when the quik didn't actually move.
He's making good progress. :D

Oldpilot55
5th Jun 2011, 08:47
Just arriving in Dacca now, according to Spot

Dubaian
7th Jun 2011, 08:58
BUMP - well into India now - more blog entries to read and tracks to view. It's not getting any easier for Dave .....:uhoh:

Oldpilot55
7th Jun 2011, 11:20
Shameless Bump..he is now in Chittagong, Bangladesh. India a distant memory. Dave's blog is very entertaining.

Dubaian
12th Jun 2011, 08:02
BUMP - well into Myanmar now but the latest track indicates a bit of doubling back. The blog will tell all - in due course.

SpeedbirdXK8
12th Jun 2011, 20:17
Amazing trip and story. Looking forward to seeing Dave at Aero Expo 2012 !

Dubaian
15th Jun 2011, 12:35
Monsoon-bound in Myanmar. No progress for a few days. But perhaps a well-earned rest.

Ian Ord
19th Jun 2011, 11:53
Looked after Dave during his transit through Muscat. Oman Air eased the formalities for him, waved all charges and gave him a suite in the Golden Tulip. Oman Oil filled his tank up for free. He had a good restful night after a good meal and a few beers. Now he is surrounded by the monsoon in Thandwe, Myanmar. What a great character. Just hope the rain lets up for a few days so he can escape through Thailand, Malaysia and out of the monsoon. I wish him God speed and a safe journey to Sydney.

Dubaian
29th Jun 2011, 06:49
He's made it to Bangkok. No recent blog updates but looks like the monsoon rains are still causing him trouble and long delays.

Dubaian
5th Jul 2011, 10:46
More movement recently after a slow spell. Happy Landings, Dave, if you're reading this.:D:D:D:D:D

Dubaian
7th Jul 2011, 05:59
Nearby lightning strike - but he's safely down. Blog makes a terrific read even if it's often a few days late in appearing.

Dubaian
24th Jul 2011, 13:04
BUMP - after long delay awaitng paperwork, Dave's on the move again.

Oldpilot55
25th Jul 2011, 14:09
He reached Bali today. I hope he is still having fun!

Dubaian
8th Aug 2011, 06:34
Dave's made it to Oz after many delays and frustrations and with a possible broken wrist.
Read his blog for the amazing story of this flight so far.
The journey is by no means over - but if anyone can do it to the planned destination I bet he can.

Ian Ord
20th Aug 2011, 06:11
Dave Sykes has reached Australia. He's within one hop of Sydney. I looked after his transit in Muscat. A remarkable understated and brave paraplegic microlighter who has lived his dream and will enter the record books.

Oldpilot55
22nd Aug 2011, 09:34
An amazing trip. He must be a very determined man.

Oldpilot55
22nd Aug 2011, 22:47
Dave is on the last leg into Sydney...4 months of watching TV, turning up for work, cutting the grass... or flogging your guts out to do something that we would run a mile from. Good luck Dave. I hope you get a hero's welcome in Sydney.

Dubaian
25th Aug 2011, 08:00
Flying completed. Great achievement. I look forward to the book and /or the movie.
Well Done Dave.

SpeedbirdXK8
25th Aug 2011, 09:05
Fantastic, brillient, what a guy, true grit - knight him, a life peer :D:ok:

jxc
25th Aug 2011, 09:11
Well done to him

Now when is he departing to fly it back ? :ok:

Mimpe
25th Aug 2011, 11:11
What a heroic effort.

We'd love to keep him here of course, but our immigration guys are so tough he may not get the visa sadly.

peewit
25th Aug 2011, 19:55
Dave Sykes makes it to Bankstown airport in Sydney.
This youtube clip shows his arrival. Arrival
His inspirational blog reveals that it has not been an easy trip.
Well done Dave for reaching your goal.

Peewit

magvelda
26th Aug 2011, 19:28
Very well done Dave!!!::D

An absolute pleasure to have been involved.

Congratulations!!::ok:

Donalduck
27th Aug 2011, 02:43
PHGQ2tj9bj8&feature=player_detailpage

And well done to Airborne Australia for supporting Dave upon arrival in Sydney regardless of the fact that he was flying a competitors aircraft... Apparently they are paying to freight his Trike home and provided him with hangarage.
According to reports from people who met him in Sydney... the physical toll this flight took on Dave's body is very obvious.... bruises and broken bones, not to mention the mental effort. Reading his blog Dave states that he is scared of heights... he spent a lot of the trip at 1000 feet and below due to weather... and that includes a lot of the ocean crossings. I guess when you are 300kms from land in a Trike it doesn't matter whether you are at 1000 feet or 10 000 feet... the result of aircraft failure would be the same.