PDA

View Full Version : How not to handle a gear up.

AdamFrisch
22nd May 2011, 20:20
I think this guy needs a refresher in emergency procedures and decision making.

What's a go around with a collapsed gear after a prop strike going to accomplish? Damage is already done and now he's potentially risking a severely out of balance prop that might even come off and a potential single engine go-around. Bad idea.:ugh:

YouTube - ‪Seneca Gear collapse Video‬‏

IO540
22nd May 2011, 20:35
Jesus...........

Mind you, where I am based, somebody started up with the towbar attached. The towbar hit the prop, taking a 1" x 1" chunk out of it (I saw it myself the next day). The man chucked the towbar where it would hopefully not be found, went for a flight, and said nothing.

It was easy to find out who it was but AFAIK there was never any comeback on him (a renter).

Torque Tonight
22nd May 2011, 23:57
Holy Moly!*

*As the mods are having a crackdown on language.

I can't imagine any valid reason to take that back into the air. In fact I'm surprised he was able to get it back into after it settled on one wing. Unbelievable.

IO540
23rd May 2011, 06:31
I'd keep quiet about this, chaps, otherwise the CAA examiners (who do read these forums) will add an assymetric out of balance prop departure to the IR checkride, and in the UK it will have to be done with the window screens :yuk:

So long as he was above YMCA (or do I mean VMCA?) it should work OK ;)

But seriously, you would be suprised at how many people have had a prop strike on departure, flew some great distance home, and discovered it only then.

Obviously one can't tell for sure which airfield it happened at, but it is likely to be really obvious if e.g. you departed from a dodgy grass place and landed at a 100% hard one.

Just as well that on some 99% of prop strikes the firm doing the engine shock load inspection finds nothing actually wrong...

But this is why, when departing from some places, I will push the plane some distance (need to get help) as I watch the renters just drive theirs through the ruts.

AdamFrisch
23rd May 2011, 06:42
It can happen really quick and be virtually imperceptible. We hit a dip in the tarmac with the Be-76 I was training on and the left prop hit slightly. We didn't even notice but another aircraft came on the freq and said it looked like a faint puff of smoke had come from the tarmac. Sure enough - about an inch off the top of the blades were missing.

On high wing twins this is less of a problem, but on singles and low wing twins you have to watch out.

BEagle
23rd May 2011, 07:11
I'd keep quiet about this, chaps, otherwise the CAA examiners (who do read these forums) will add an assymetric out of balance prop departure to the IR checkride, and in the UK it will have to be done with the window screens.

Hmmm, 'Tips' would know all about such things....:oh:

Fuji Abound
23rd May 2011, 11:12
A video can be deceptive I know but it looks to me as if the approach was very fast and very flat, and in consequence the aircraft landed very deep, and was going to run off the end.

Running off the end of the runway would always seem a better option although I suppose none of us know exactly what was in front of the pilot at the time. Moreover it was inevitably a split section judgement, and one where you are more likely to be preconditioned to "go around" than run off.

I guess it emphasise the importance of a self brief in these circumstances along the lines of what will happen, what actions you will take, and in what circumstances you will go around off the approach. 25 feet off the ground, too fast, and more than x% down the runway and I will go around. Even more important to rehearse the single engine go around.