PDA

View Full Version : Civil A330 pilots to fly RAF tankers

Roller Merlin
22nd May 2011, 01:20
Seems the RAF is happy for civil A330 drivers to fly their tankers as reservists....

A330 Pilots
Role: Pilot
Job Hours: Full-Time
Job Position: Permanent
Company: Air Tanker Services Ltd
Salary:
Posted Date: Tuesday, 10 May 2011 10:32:57 AM
A330 Pilots

Take your experience to new places. Enjoy new opportunities with the first aviation programme of its kind in the UK. We’ll be using converted Airbus A330-200 commercial airliners to provide the RAF with air-to-air refuelling, troop and equipment transport and medical evacuation services, for the next 24 years. And, with us, you’ll be more than a pilot. You’ll also hold Sponsored Reservist status – undertaking regular military training and being prepared to support RAF operations anywhere in the world.

Our current opportunities include First Officer, Captain and Training Captain roles.

Find out more and apply at airtanker.co.uk/jobs

A330 Pilots - 1401166038 - Flight Jobs (http://www.flightglobal.com/jobs/job/a330-pilots-united-kingdom-1401166038.htm)

KeyPilot
22nd May 2011, 02:00
This was always the intention with the Airtanker deal, and has been commented on here before.

What is your objection? I see no downside to the RAF leveraging the enormous existing experience of operating the A330.

VinRouge
22nd May 2011, 02:09
I dont see the problem. There are going to be plenty of (ex) RAF pilots flying civilian A330s in the near future too...

SASless
22nd May 2011, 02:12
You’ll also hold Sponsored Reservist status – undertaking regular military training and being prepared to support RAF operations anywhere in the world

If you are doing the operational flying as your daily duty....what kind of military training are you going to be doing when not flying the line...which is your primary duty?

BEagle
22nd May 2011, 06:52
See Sponsored Reservists « AirTanker (http://www.airtanker.co.uk/jobs/what-we-look-for/sponsored-reservists)

It seems that 'sponsored reservists' are legally required to undertake 27 days of military training per year....

P6 Driver
22nd May 2011, 07:59
MT went the same way!
;)

Lockstock
22nd May 2011, 08:19
...and apparently the RAF actually let civilians service their aircraft, cook their food and give them an ATC service.

It's old and not exactly headline news. Let go and stop worrying..

Dan Winterland
22nd May 2011, 08:25
More to the point, what's the pay they're offering?

Just This Once...
22nd May 2011, 09:21
Apparently '...for the right candidates... the job offers a reward that money simply cannot buy'.

:uhoh:

Wander00
22nd May 2011, 09:31
JTW - in "recruitment-speak" that usually means salaries are not that good!

jamesdevice
22nd May 2011, 09:36
I thought most of the USAF tankers were flown by reservist / Air National Guard part-time crews???

Ken Scott
22nd May 2011, 10:50
I checked the 'Sponsored reservists' website, searched for 'pilot vacancies' and got the following message:

Sorry, there are no vacancies matching your criteria. Please try another search.

I guess they're full up then, so recruiting's been a big success despite the apparently 'below market rate' salaries on offer.

Who are these people then, surely ex-RAF types won't want to come back for more of the same, and what kind of civil pilot is tired of the higher salary, nice hotels and decent destinations & wants to give it up for JPA, Akrotiri & MPA, & rather less salubrious accommodation?

Still, at least the RAF can get rid of some experienced tanker pilots which it won't need.

Tay Cough
22nd May 2011, 14:35
As a current civvy A320 skipper (A330 can be flown on a dual rating), I'd consider flying the tankers for 27 days a year as a reservist but wouldn't give up the day job. Given the current going rate for A330 skippers v what the contractor will pay, I doubt I'm alone.

Surely they can't expect someone on six figures per annum to give that up "for the greater good"? If they open the RAFVR to civvy pilots in the manner of the ANG, I'd probably be killed in the rush but I'm unconvinced that this particular contract will work in the longer term.

I think the phrase is "No bucks, no Buck Rogers."

Duncan D'Sorderlee
22nd May 2011, 19:07
I mate of mine was interested until he was told that he would have complete the 32 weeks of IOT prior to taking post. A current A330 captain, he decided against it.

Duncs:ok:

Brain Potter
22nd May 2011, 19:44
The A330 is not a common (ie dual) rating with the A320. You have to complete a CCQ course (around a week) at an approved CCQ. Once you have passed the LST and met either the base training or ZFT requirement, then the A330 can be added as a seperate type to your licence. If your company has mixed-fleet approval you are allowed to operate both types concurrently.

D-IFF_ident
22nd May 2011, 23:33
Oh my goodness, civilians flying aeroplanes. Etc.

Tay Cough
23rd May 2011, 10:00
What BP says in fact (still not a lot in it). So what's the deal?

brit bus driver
26th May 2011, 22:33
Civil A330 pilots

As opposed to jolly rude ones?

:E