PDA

View Full Version : iPad / Memory Map and GPS receiver

LeeP-PA28
20th May 2011, 19:14
OK - so since passing my PPL I started looking around at some navaids etc to take with me in the cockpit since I'll be doing 90% of the flying alone in new areas.

I first invested in VORTrack which has made life a little easier in the cockpit when working with VOR's and for the price - I'd say every GA pilot should use them :)

I then got an email from Transair about this lovely little GPS jobby that was compatible with the charting software and iPad. So I invested.

I've played with it on the ground for about 3 hours, creating routes, waypoints, notes etc on a CAA 1:500k chart which seemed to work well. I plog'd a route today and did my usual paperwork/whizzwheel calculations and then added the same route onto my iPad. All the distances matched, the track headings were correct so I thought I'd take it up and see how it performed.

Well - it was great! Scrolling map - I logged the data and used it to assist in identifying some otherwise hard-to-spot features on the chart, cross checked my timings / headings and off-track errors and it all seems correct.

Looks like it'll be a useful companion in the cockpit - especially with the nice screen, great battery life (about 5hrs on iPad, 10 hours in GPS) but with a 12v socket you're laughing :)

I do love the paper chart, everything in front of me that I need but this just added an extra check. Any of you guys using this?

Lee

IO540
21st May 2011, 07:41
Most people fly with a GPS :)

Welcome to the club :ok:

Miroku
21st May 2011, 09:31
Suggest you also look at Sky Demon flight planning. If you eventually buy it then could you PM me, as I'll then be one third of the way to a free year's subscription.

Flylogical
21st May 2011, 11:11
Got the same kit combination. Biggest weakness is lack of flight navigation calculation capabilities. Send a blank email to [email protected] to see how I've solved this.

Also, I find MemoryMap on the ipad suffers from stability problems. It crashes about 10% of the time whenever I use the function to export the routes by email. That said, the UK CAA chart feature is good, and will be very good when they've solved the stability issues.

dan_vector
21st May 2011, 13:10
I've found Air Navigation PRO with the CAA maps installed better than the memory map combination IMHO.

youngskywalker
21st May 2011, 13:43
Do you need the 3G version of the ipad or does the cheaper wifi do the trick?

IO540
21st May 2011, 13:48
AFAIK you need the "3G" version to get the GPS receiver, but there is no need to put in any SIM card for the GPS to function.

However, I am informed by Apple that without a valid SIM and GPRS/3G data enabled, the time to get a fix is much longer.

Obviously, GPRS/3G won't work when airborne, which is why the Iphone/Ipad GPS is not great, according to many pilots.

Flylogical
21st May 2011, 14:11
Yes, you need the "3G" variant of the iPad (to get GPS functionality) but it typically loses connectivity at some point on pretty-much every flight. As such, I use MemoryMap/iPad combo only as a planning aid/toy (my Garmin GNS430 does the real work in-flight).

For what it's worth, in my opinion the iPad truly comes into it's own in the cockpit with Jeppesen "JeppTC" software. That is the sole reason I purchased an iPad...and it would still be worth every penny if I had no other software or use for the iPad. I used to subscribe to Aerad "Touring Guide" for IMC/approach plates, plus the usual plethora of VFR flight guides. All that paper now gone with Jeppesen JeppTC plus VFR and IFR subscriptions. Expensive but you get what you pay for. Moreover, the routine updates are seamless and automatic (one click) -- no more messing about on Sunday nights sorting out printed amendments...

All that said, the iPad/MemoryMap combination is still fun but really not a serious piece of kit...

LeeP-PA28
21st May 2011, 16:24
I've got the basic 16GB WIFI only version with a dedicated bluetooth GPS unit (can be used on iPhone, Laptops, iPad etc) - google GNS 5870 receiver :)

I've just upgraded from the "free" version to the pro version as I've ordered some other charts which aren't available to download (i.e. the southern ed37 chart) which came on CD today. Appears better functionality on this one, better customisation for the tracking view etc.

I've never had stablility problems though - I think when I first got it, it bummed out on me but the battery was low and it shut down a little after it so put it down to that :)

Just for info, the GPS receiver was showing accuracy to within 4yds in the air, and on the ground at the flight desk was 10yds.

BackPacker
21st May 2011, 18:20
I got a 3G iPad 2 Thursday and took it flying today for the first time. I've got Airnav Pro installed on it and it worked absolutely fine. No loss of signal whatsoever (Robin DR400) and that program is brilliant. To the point where it automatically fills in your logbook even.

I got the ICAO Netherlands map and all the database-derived airspace data (up to and including IFR intersections if you want to) is simply overlaid on that map. Works brilliantly and the feature to limit displayed airspace to anything plus or minus 1000 feet of your current altitude is genius. My copilot, an airline pilot, was seriously impressed with the capabilities.

I also have iAIP installed which lets you download all AIPs for Europe to the iPad and then browse them offline. Kind of a poor man's EFB. If I had an IR and would fly IFR I would get JeppView instead but for VFR it's good enough.

We flew some 2.5 hours today with the iPad turned on, I checked mail and filed a flightplan with it, and as I'm typing this on the same iPad it's still 60% charged.

Flylogical
23rd May 2011, 21:32
I see. The external GPS is probably much better than the one built-in to the 3G iPad -- which frequently drops connectivity in flight, in my experience.

The instability in the MemoryMap software seems to correlate with importing/exporting routes via GPX files at the same time that the GPS tracking is activated....

Anyway, seems not everyone gets these problems, so maybe I got a "Monday morning" reject...

Humaround
25th May 2011, 16:49
Miroku: "Suggest you also look at Sky Demon flight planning. If you eventually buy it then could you PM me, as I'll then be one third of the way to a free year's subscription."

Sadly Sky Demon doesn't run on an iPad, or on any Apple OS natively.

I run it on Parallels/Windows 7 on a MacBook Pro, and very good it is too. You could run the internet version on an iPad using a browser I suppose, but I wouldn't expect that would work in the air...

LeeP-PA28
25th May 2011, 16:54
I have bought and about to try AirNav Pro at the weekend - the instrument feature looks very impressive -as does the airspace indicator, the waypoint feature and integration my MyVFR - impressive stuff :)

Miroku
25th May 2011, 17:55
Humaround,

I'm sure you're right about ipad and Apple, I'm not well up on these things. I was just making the point about Sky Demon as I find it the best flight planning system I have yet come across at a reasonable price.

Free, in fact, if you want the scaled down version.

Flylogical
26th May 2011, 15:26
Try iNavCalc if you want a free nav planning app that is device-independent (works on all devices that can send/receive email and display PDFs).:D