PDA

View Full Version : more freight means low fuel reserve?

lynn789
17th May 2011, 00:02
A MELBOURNE-bound Qantas plane was forced to divert to Adelaide this morning after crew discovered it did not have enough fuel.

A Qantas spokesman said the A380 from Singapore made the unexpected pit stop around 5am AEST.
He said the low fuel supply was not the result of a leak.
"Engineers have inspected the aircraft on ground this morning in Adelaide and found there were no technical issues," the spokesman said.
"The flight crew found they had burnt through the fuel supplies quicker than expected.
"It was not an emergency landing."
The jet carrying 249 passengers was expected to arrive in Melbourne about 7.30am.

AerocatS2A
18th May 2011, 08:41
What's the relevance of "more freight"?

SMOC
18th May 2011, 09:14
Possibly meaning an incorrect ZFW with extra freight not included, thus leading to an increased fuel burn.

I assume the Capt could have asked for a load check rather than just refuel and go without having found a reason for the increased burn.

Slasher
20th May 2011, 02:42
Does the 380 have GWFK and AOA available in CFIDS PARAM
call up? That can usually be a giveaway that someone's stuck
extra freight in the holds without telling anyone, esp GWFK.

Assuming the box was loaded correctly one would expect the
FMC fuel pred for arrival to indicate something is not quite
right, but even so a whistlestop for fuel is no big deal (unless
it happens to be the White Rat and its being reported by the
silly infamous Oz press).

Groundloop
20th May 2011, 11:20
There is another thread on this:-

http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/451842-qantas-flight-forced-divert-adelaide-after-fuel-shortage.html

It has nothing to do with "more freight" - it was headwinds much stronger than forecast.

blind pew
20th May 2011, 12:05
Bet they won't be going with minimum fuel again:O

Still beats the embarrassment of having an engine flame out on the taxyway or needing refueling before you allow the pax off:ok:

john_tullamarine
20th May 2011, 12:26
Still beats the embarrassment of having an engine flame out on the taxyway

Going back a long way, I recall a 727 which had just that happen .. CBR if I recall correctly. Got caught out with an unplanned diversion after PER-MEL (memory's a tad scratchy now) ... perhaps one go too many before accepting the reality of the situation ... management pilot and min fuel planning.

Bit too tight for my liking...

blind pew
20th May 2011, 13:39
Normal operation for one management guy on the 707 at scare tours.......
He didn't even need a diversion or bad wx......