PDA

View Full Version : Refueling in France

philippevd
16th May 2011, 16:00
Hi all,

I'm planning a round-trip around france in about 2 months. I haven't flown there very much yet, but so far it's been pretty obvious that refueling there is not straight-forward. Many airfields have self-serve refueling stations, from either Total or BP. And to be able to refuel, you must have a Total or BP card.

Now here's the problem, if you do not have a french bank account number, it is impossible to get a Total card. How am I supposed to refuel as a visitor from abroad?? :ugh:

Would be interesting to hear your experiences on this, and your ways to workaround this typically french problem.

Thanks

JP

VOD80
16th May 2011, 18:52
I don't know about every French airfield but I can talk about the one from which I fly (Muret LFBR) - it is a self service Total card jobber but in the aeroclub there is a dedicated "visitor's" card. The visitor then just pays the aeroclub.

I would guess that there would be similar arrangements at other airfields, I'll let others confim or deny :)

Cheers!

UV
16th May 2011, 19:22
How am I supposed to refuel as a visitor from abroad??

Cash, hardly any take plastic.

maxred
16th May 2011, 19:29
I only have experience of the larger airfields, however, I have always paid by debit card. Poitiers for example has the self serve booth, but you call the fueler, and when they find him, he arrives with a card, fuels you up, passes the card machine to you, enter your pin, and paid for.

It may however be entirely different at other, smaller, fields. I suspect cash:bored: