PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce EASA?

late-joiner
14th May 2011, 15:36
Just wondering because at my annual medical this week, the AME was pronouncing it ee-arse-ah. which amused me. I thought it was ee-sa or eez-er.

The reason he was talking about EASA is that apparently they will want him to take a test, so he is giving up being an AME.

Conventional Gear
14th May 2011, 16:08
ee-sa

though I prefer your AME's take on it.

Sir George Cayley
14th May 2011, 16:23
Talking to staff at the European Aviation Safety Agency in Cologne you hear many different versions.

The English there say Ee-ahh-sa. The Italians say e-sa with a short e sounding almost like an i. The French say Ee-sa but it then sounds like Ee-sa the European Space Agency. The Germans say Ay-ah-sa. I've not spoken to the Greeks or Romanians so can't say.

I'm sticking with Ee-ahh-sa said loudly and slowly in the English tradition.

Actually, it doesn't matter how one says it - they're bad news.

Sir George Cayley

jxc
14th May 2011, 16:29
E-Arse-a

I think that's it

Duckeggblue
14th May 2011, 16:58
......and i hear that they live in holes ;)

FREDAcheck
14th May 2011, 17:31
There are quite a number of other pronunciations, none of them phonetically correct (or polite) but descriptively spot-on.

Pace
14th May 2011, 18:04
you have to remember the meaning of EASA. It obviously has nothing to do with safety for those who thought it might have.
The real meaning of EASA

EXTERMINATE AVIATORS STRANGLE AVIATION think that about sums it up?

How do you pronounce it <>?/""%:E

Pace

DB6
14th May 2011, 18:10
It's pronounced ****E

IO540
14th May 2011, 18:50
C-r-o-o-k-s
c-o-n-m-e-n

proudprivate
14th May 2011, 19:02
...EASA is that apparently they will want him to take a test, so he is giving up being an AME.

So your AME is giving up simply because he doesn't want to take "a little test" by EASA ? What a quitter ! All he has to do is review a few chapters on rectoscopy and peristaltics... :p

BackPacker
14th May 2011, 21:37
All he has to do is review a few chapters on rectoscopy and peristaltics...

Hang on. I can only think of one reason why an AME would need to read up on rectoscopy, and that would not be good news for us pilots.:\

Anyway, pronounciation. Anything is good except "ee-see".:bored:

moreflaps
14th May 2011, 22:42
EASA = eject all smelly aircraft
or
EASA = economically advantageous small attitude
:O

flyingfemme
16th May 2011, 06:21
Pronounced with emphasis on the "arse"..........

...EASA is that apparently they will want him to take a test, so he is giving up being an AME.
Would that be anything like the "little test" they want pilots to do to use an FAA IR in Europe?

Keepitup
16th May 2011, 15:44
Sorry, couldn't resist.

EASA = Every Aircraft should abandon.

Pronounced = Eee-arse-Ahhhh !!!

Jan Olieslagers
16th May 2011, 22:06
You don't pronounce it at all. Whenever mentioning them is unavoidable, you just wag your head and mumble about "that silly lot" or some such.

GQ2
17th May 2011, 22:49
I think it should rhyme with 'punts'....:E

FREDAcheck
17th May 2011, 23:19
To quote Blackadder: "I think the phrase rhymes with clucking bell".

The500man
18th May 2011, 20:02
It's pronounced ****E

As in pEAS-A-****e? :)

This is what Guiness will do to you... ;)

Sir George Cayley
18th May 2011, 20:52
So, almost unanimous support then :ok:

EASA is coming, so get over the prejudice and think about learning to live with it.

Like tax and death.

SGC

ChampChump
18th May 2011, 21:04
Everything Against Sensible Administration.

Keepitup
19th May 2011, 07:39
Hey SGC,

Where you been hiding, EASA been here since 2003 !!!!!!!!! not exactly coming but I agree the way they do things does take along time !:O

Just because it is the regulatory authority, doen't mean we have to like it.

Keepitup

BillieBob
19th May 2011, 12:32
EASA may have been in existence since 2003 but it has not yet assumed responsibility for flight crew licensing or operations and will not do so until 2012. In that respect Sir George is quite correct - it's coming.

When it does arrive on the Licensing and Ops scene, it will not be a regulatory authority, that task remains with the NAAs. EASA is and will continue to be a rulemaking body, which means that it will always be insulated from from the real world and can continue to invent ways to harm the industry (for no good safety-based reason) without the embarrassment of having to enforce its own, politically driven, rules.

Keepitup
19th May 2011, 14:01
Hey BB,

Not to be picky, but you said it, EASA has not hit ops and flight crew licensing, what about the rest of the industry, like the guys who keep you in the air (engineers)

Therefore EASA has been here since 2003, only because its not affected the Air ops doesn't mean its not affecting you, AD's are issued by EASA which can affect your aircraft, this I believe can affect Operations ???????, indirectly.

If you are going to pick on a generalisation, at least look at the whole picture and not just ops/aircrew, I know this is pprune, but it is not solely for pilots !

Best Regards

Keepitup

Oh - and NAA follow the rules and guidance of EASA !

BillieBob
19th May 2011, 17:50
I never suggested that we were unaffected by EASA, simply that, in the one respect of Ops and Licensing, Sir George was correct.

As for being picky,
Oh - and NAA follow the rules and guidance of EASA ! No, NAAs regulate in accordance with EU law, which is formulated as a result of EASA's rulemaking activities.

Keepitup
20th May 2011, 12:28
Hey BB,

All I can say is, for being in the industry that has been affected by EASA since 2003, it has been no picnic and therefore I can understand why people are on here, bleeting about EASA and I agree with them. Only because it is in/coming doesn't mean we have to like it, at least we can air off some anger on here whilst dealing with it.

Keepitup
:mad::eek::bored::\:confused::uhoh::ouch::ugh: