PDA

View Full Version : Kenley Aerodrome Airspace Class.

Milton1995
14th May 2011, 09:10
Had this conversation with a friend who recently did gliding at Kenley, I had also done gliding there before and we were having a quick chat about it.

He was told that kenley was Class D airspace, while i think it is Class F/G (Although my points could say E also)

Reason for this is kenley has no ATZ, the radio's are not required in our twin acro's and i have never had them turned on in my life. Also class D requires ATC clearance, and we dont have an ATSU, or any other air traffic control unit.

Could someone clear this up for me, many thanks!

ATCO Two
14th May 2011, 10:40
I confirm that Kenley is in Class G airspace with the London TMA Class A above it with a base of 2500ft. There is no ATZ, and no ATC clearance is required to transit. However, I always warn any aircraft ion the vicinity that gliding is taking place up to the base of CAS, and that avoiding the area would be prudent. The nearest Class D airspace is at Gatwick and London City; even Biggin Hill is in Class G, but it does have an ATZ of course.

Milton1995
14th May 2011, 11:23
thanks for your reply, if biggin is then also a class G on the CAA airspace classification document it says that it requires no radio for VFR traffic? Is this correct ?

spekesoftly
14th May 2011, 11:43
The UK AIP entry for Biggin Hill states:-

"Not available to aircraft unable to communicate by radio with ATC"

So although you can fly non-radio (IFR or VFR) in the surrounding Class G airspace, the Biggin Airport Regulations require aircraft using the airport to be radio equipped.