PDA

View Full Version : Flying into Flying Legends at Dx

Arclite01
10th May 2011, 08:55
In an attempt to avoid the traffic fiasco of last year I was considering flying into the Flying Legends display at Dx this year.

Does anyone know if it's possible and if so, who to contact to book a slot time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Arc

BackPacker
10th May 2011, 09:12
There's a whole AIC written on this subject. Start here:

IWM Duxford - Europe's premier aviation museum : Airfield Information (http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1181)

r1flyguy35
10th May 2011, 10:45
Did this myself about 3 years ago, it was a fantastic day and as long as you arrive early before the show starts there's not much stress to it.

One thing I would say, is don't be in a hurry to get back to you a/c as it was a long wait for departure at the end of the day as all the GA a/c were trying to depart quickly.
If your in no hurry then it should be fine and wait until the last 3 or 4 aircraft are starting up :ok:

BackPacker
10th May 2011, 11:12
I did this three years ago too. Great experience.

The issue that R1 is referring to is because all visiting planes are parked on the opposite side of the field (normal parking being taken up by the display aircraft). You're not allowed to walk to and from your own aircraft, but need to be transported around by a limited number of minibuses.

Not so much a problem in the morning when everybody arrives more or less according to their slot times, but it is quite a crowd after the show when everybody wants to leave at the same time. If you don't have a long trip ahead of you it's best to wait an hour or so, until most pilots have been transported back to their aircraft, and then join the queue for the minibuses.

Yes, you need PPR which gives you a slot time and you need to time your flight so that you arrive at the proper "gate" at your assigned slot time (a GPS with the full plog in it helps a lot here - you simply adjust power until the arrival time over the gate is ok) but other than that the whole experience is pretty painless.

To the point where the avgas truck simply follows the marshallers who are parking the aircraft in line, to fill them up in sequence straight away. (The planes I mean, not the marshallers.)

One other thing to watch out for though is the queue for takeoff, after the show. You can easily spend 30 minutes on idle power in the queue for departure if you time your startup wrong. This may impact the condition of your spark plugs. It might be a good idea to lean the engine a bit while idling and to do a quick mag check just before taking off.

Old Photo.Fanatic
12th May 2011, 15:50
Re your possible trip to Flying Legends.
Please see a PM I have sent you.
Regards
OPF

stiknruda
12th May 2011, 17:49
Arc,

I've done it a few times. EPSL and I managed without GPS to hit the gate OT.

Stik

(I may have sent a young cub your way re DHC1 time)