PDA

View Full Version : PPL training in Singapore

Cahlibahn
1st Apr 2001, 11:02
A correspondent of mine in Singapore has a son who is very keen to become a pilot. As an initial step he wants to start PPL training there. Unfortunately they cannot find a local training organisation - can anybody help?

Mooney
1st Apr 2001, 17:26
Cahlibahn,

There is a PPL School at Seletar- SIA Flying Club- they may be able to help. However the airspace around Singapore is packed with commerical traffic and Military..not to mention in lower airspace you soon run into overseas territory.

I dont think it would be the best place to do a PPL- I would consider suggesting Perth OZ to go and do a PPL in that region. It would also be very expensive indeed in Singapore to earn a PPL.

:)

combi pilot
1st Apr 2001, 22:12
Calibahn,

I agree with Mooney. Singapore has very little airspace for good flying training. In fact, those who attain PPL in Singapore normally hold a PPL(R) (for Restricted). THey have insufficient airspace to do their cross country training due to their small geographic nature.

Other flying schools (based at Seletar Airport): Republic Of Singapore Flying Club. However, very expensive. Costs about S$20,000 for PPL training. in addition, if i'm not wrong, yearly membership with the club is S$2,000. Indeed, a wise move for ab-initio training would be in Perth. PPL here costs abt A$8,000 by comparison.

The Youth FLying club offers flying training as well but I'm not sure how they take their students in.

Cahlibahn
1st Apr 2001, 22:46
Thanks for your replies. Looks like the lad will have to go to Oz..... The Youth Flying Club is restricted to Singapore Nationals only, I'm told (he is Danish.

Thanks again

EDDNR
3rd Apr 2001, 22:48
All comments supported here, Seletar must be the worst place to do a PPL. And a $2000 "membership" fee to a flying club? The locals pay that just for the sticker to put on their Merc bumpers to keep up with their golf club mates. Forget it, go to Oz or the USA.

Rod