PDA

View Full Version : Sportcruiser mid air break up

gyrotyro
8th May 2011, 10:43
PiperSport LSA Appears To Have Broken Up Over FL » Airlines Flights Fares (http://www.airlinesflightsfares.com/tickets/pipersport-lsa-appears-to-have-broken-up-over-fl/)

Morrisman1
8th May 2011, 10:58
wow interesting. Does anyone know what construction they are? Composites, aluminum etc. Are there any known weaknesses also?

Surely a mid air breakup in a GA aircraft can only be caused by human error of some nature like over stressing, over speeding or a mechanical problem. I say this because they don't have the same conditions like pressurisation or the high speeds of jet aircraft.

Are those sport cruisers factory built or available as a kit?

ATPMBA
8th May 2011, 11:22
Like a crotchy CFI once said, "With a cheap plane you can afford an expensive coffin."

MichaelJP59
8th May 2011, 11:25
They are some built as kits but according to the article this one was a factory built example.

I guess the investigators should be able to hazard a guess at the cause after analysis of the failure points and fracture surfaces. No indication of the weather en-route in the article (i.e. any CBs etc.)

WestWind1950
8th May 2011, 11:37
according to the second linked article (http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?contentBlockId=b811d68d-77d4-413c-8570-0c0035986f33), it was being flown at night! Are LSA's certified for night flight in the USA?

wsmempson
8th May 2011, 15:15
I think that this was actually a "Pipersport" as opposed tto a CZAW kit or factory build, so therefore certified.

A and C
8th May 2011, 16:08
Reading the two reports about this accident I think that so far there is insufficient data to reach any conclusion as to why this happened.

In fact the reports are so short on data even the pprune experts can't speculate!

cct
8th May 2011, 16:45
But surely that wont stop some:ugh:

Rod1
8th May 2011, 17:06
It is an all metal factory built aircraft designed to a code different to the one used to test the LAA kit built examples. (US LSA v Uk CS-VLA). I understand there are a number of differences in specification but no idea if that is relevant.

Rod1

DX Wombat
8th May 2011, 17:11
Morrisman, I think you will find that sad rather than interesting is the best way to describe the event - at least that would be the reaction of most people here.

patowalker
8th May 2011, 17:46
Apart from the nose-leg on some examples, there are no structural differences between the CZAW SportCruiser kit 'planes approved by the LAA, the CSA factory built PiperSport LSA and the EASA Permit to Fly SportCruiser.

That is because CZAW adopted the modifications to the LSA compliant model which were required by the LAA in order to meet CS-VLA. LAA approval is sought after by European manufacturers, because it opens up new markets.

Jan Olieslagers
8th May 2011, 19:09
sad rather than interesting is the best way to describe the event

Second that, DX Wombat.

Hairybiker
8th May 2011, 21:13
ATPMBA

What was the point of your remark?