PDA

View Full Version : EASA paperwork

Marchettiman
7th May 2011, 10:16
Does anyone have a solution to this Catch 22?

Back in the early 1990's I bought some brand new parts direct from the manufacturer of my aircraft, a few of which I have still not used. They came with the original parts serviceable, new status, forms for each part. Now I need to use one of them, a metal pin which is still sealed in its original manufacturer's wrapping, the form is stamped by a/c manufacturer and dated May 1990, which was long before EASA was ever thought of.
My maintenance company won't fit the part because it doesn't have an EASA Form 1, but there weren't EASA Form 1's then I tell them. They stare into space and tell me it's their approval on the line if they even think about fitting the part.
The aircraft manufacturer won't provide a Form 1, they say they can't vouch for the parts as original!
Does this also mean that any part manufactured before EASA Form 1 is now scrap?

flybymike
7th May 2011, 11:23
Or even an entire aeroplane assembled from unknown parts?

jxc
7th May 2011, 12:59
How much is a new part

A and C
7th May 2011, 13:14
An old unused part can be given a Form 1 by an EASA 145 company that has approval for the type of aircraft/part in question provided the paperwork that the part was issued with is avalable for inspection.

Marchettiman
7th May 2011, 20:01
Thanks, but does that mean the specific Make/model of aircraft and part number or is it a generic approval for light single piston types and mechanical undercarriage parts (not assemblies)?

A and C
8th May 2011, 06:54
I would think that 145 approval on the aircraft type would be enough but I would have to check that.

What type of aircraft are we talking about ? I might be able to help you with this problem.

jxk
8th May 2011, 14:05
What if the Part M (G+F) organisation has got the particular aircraft in it's MOM etc?? Surely, this can't be any different than a 145 organisation and providing the part is for their use they can issue a Form 1 (8130/3).

A and C
8th May 2011, 15:49
I think that you are correct but that would limit the part to fitment to only non AoC aircraft, this is not likely to be a problem in this case.

trevs99uk
9th May 2011, 10:40
Question comes to mind..

What happened to all the spares in the Mainteneance companies stores prior to EASA coming along.. Did the maint company just throw them aware no..
So they must have issued Form 1,s for them...

=======

Why not ask EASA the question..

[email protected]
[email protected]

=====

IO540
9th May 2011, 10:52
An EASA145 company can generate an EASA-1 form for one of these (http://www.boutique.co.uk/acatalog/0853_TieFront_Bikini1.jpg).

The cost of doing so is the cost of the toner used to print that page out of the laser printer.

A few years ago I bought a P-clip, from a well known EASA145 aviation parts company. The clip came with a wad of oil stained papers which revealed that it kicked around various long-defunct airline stores since... wait for it.... 1968. Naturally, the P-clip was also covered by an EASA-1 form.

A funny angle on this might be whether that P-clip would be considered new or used. By aviation definition, it would be new.

In much of aviation, the king has absolutely no clothes...

An old and perfectly legal scam in aviation is to "inspect" an item and generate an EASA-1 form for it. I know a company which would do this for a propeller imported from the USA with just an 8130-3 which, being a Class 1 component (engine or prop) could not be fitted on a G-reg. They charged about £1000 for the laser printer toner ;) This kind of thing is what props up much of aviation, and also props up the regulators who get a lot of money from these laser printer operators. It is a totally circular system.

A and C
9th May 2011, 12:23
It is quite true that a Form 1 can be generated for the cost of the toner & paper......................... Oh and you have to be EASA 145 approved so you need Licenced staff, pay the EASA approval fees, have buildings, offices and a stores system that meets EASA approval.

So to support that little lot you need to be charging about £55/hour for your Labour.

A bit more than a bit of toner I think !

IO540
9th May 2011, 12:46
That's what I meant by a circular system. You have to pay out money all over the place to be allowed to run that laser printer.

jxk
9th May 2011, 17:55
EASA Environment ON-
OK along the same lines: If you remove a part from one aircraft and fit to another do you now have to have (or raise) a Form One or just make a log book entry? The part may well be within it's service life but be pre EASA. And to raise the F1 do you have to 'test' the part in anyway?

I do wish some reality would fall upon the authorities, I'm sure in the good old days a properly qualified lisenced engineer could make these decisions and not rely on the 10+ fields of A4 piece of paper.