PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Safely !

Blink182
5th May 2011, 19:12
received this..........

Dear Friends,

You will recall that yesterday you were invited to become a member of Sussex police's Project Pegasus.

The Project Pegasus team are pleased to update you with details of a suspicious incident reported to Sussex police at Shoreham Airport yesterday afternoon, Wednesday 04th May 2011.

A local pilot flying from Shoreham became concerned about some other aviation users who's actions appeared out of place. Sussex police were alerted and local officers and Project Pegasus officers attended the scene following which five people were spoken to by Project Pegasus officers.

Fortunately the events were found to be purely innocent.

Detective Inspector Nick Porter who leads the Project Pegasus Team said "it is immensely encouraging that people have the courage and confidence to report suspicious incidents to us. I would rather my officers to spend their time investigating suspicious incidents which are later found to be purely innocent acts than for us not to have the opportunity to investigate them at all. The assistance Project Pegasus officers received from the general aviation community and staff at Shoreham airport was second to none and demonstrates that the general aviation community will act to protect Sussex against crime and terrorism matters".

Many thanks to all those of you who signed up yesterday. Project Pegasus does work and we encourage more of you to please enrol.

We want you to become a member of Project Pegasus!

Are you involved in recreational airborne activities or employed in the aviation industry?
Do you own an aircraft or microlight?
Do you live near small airstrips or areas where aircraft can land?
Help keep your airspace, aircraft and equipment safe! Report anything suspicious or seems out of place - call Sussex Police on 0845 60 70 999, quoting Project Pegasus.
You can register with Project Pegasus to receive, by email, timely appropriate general aviation crime information and intelligence updates providing summaries of incidents which are of interest to you. We may also contact you with specific reports and requests that you may be able to assist us with, for example - reports of suspicious persons, vessels or stolen boats. Please note that your contact details will be kept for Project Pegasus purposes only.

You can enrol in Project Pegasus today by completing the online registration form by clicking here: Project Pegasus - Sussex Police (http://www.sussex.police.uk/advice-and-support/project-pegasus)

Am I being a bit too cynical to think that I can sleep safely in my bed tonight , confident in the knowledge that these tireless guardians are protecting me and looking out villianous elements ????

Seriously, I welcome the intent of the initiative, but do we really need this type of Sensationalism reporting ?

Danscowpie
5th May 2011, 20:28
True, the reporting is a bit sensationalist but the intent is good.

The Plod have campaigned for ages for everyone in aviation to report anything that looks a bit out of place, and there have been many successful prosecutions as a result.
It used to be the case that smuggling of things which had no "direct affect" society was involved but ultimately, because it stuff like Gold coins etc it did affect us all because it was tax evasion.

Now, its that, but mostly drugs, which as we know, has all sorts of consequences, but the people importing are the people who stand to make most money if they get away with it.

A few people of questionable metal status regard it as "snitching" and an abuse of their civil liberties, but I know that in such cases, the Police and Customs don't act without good cause.