PDA

View Full Version : What to do on a wet runway ?

High-wing
17th Nov 2001, 13:04
The rainy season has begun in South Africa,
so a nice firm landing is required to get the beast on the runway.
But sometimes the aircraft may start hydroplaning, what's the best method to get yourself out of this predicament, after you've started slipping?
:confused:

slingsby
17th Nov 2001, 14:55
Not an easy answer I'm afraid, if you've already begun braking and then begin aquaplaning, you only have two options. (Forgive me but it's been awhile since I drove a small aircraft).
1/ If your airspeed has decreased to taxy speed then generally a very short jab on the brakes tends to get the nose wheel firmly back on the tarmac, careful not to ground the prop. Once through the surface tension, then you best bet is maximum decelleration.
2/ If you have just landed and your airspeed is such that you still have aerodynamic forces over the wing and moveable surfaces then maybe you could 'think' about applying full power and flying the aircraft down the runway until safe flying speed achieved. This would be a last resort as drag from the water/undercarriage may be inhibitive.
Best option though is for a bit of common sense, ask the tower for a runway inspection, consider a low flypast off runway centre line and inspect the surface. Or best of all land before the storm.
Haven't thought too much about G/A aquaplanning for quite some time as my ride is somewhat larger now, hope this helps. No doubt you'll get a lot of advice but it may be prudent to discuss this with your Chief Instructor/Pilot as he will have more experience or have a proven method.

Now where's that damn switch, oh yeah there it is.

timmcat
18th Nov 2001, 03:09
.. PAX to lifejackets..