PDA

View Full Version : MATZ penetration - QNH or QFE?

G SXTY
29th Mar 2001, 13:57
I'm afraid Mr. Thom's law book has got me a bit baffled. In one exercise, the answer to "Penetrating a MATZ the pilot will be asked to set . . ." is "Aerodrome QNH".

The very next chapter has "When transiting a MATZ, a pilot will be requested to set ... in the altimeter subscale", which is apparently "Aerodrome QFE".

Now I'm all confused and don't know my ATZ from my elbow. Does anyone know which is correct?

------------------
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit pruning.

seadog
29th Mar 2001, 14:06
You will find that Military Air Trafiic Zones are established around most miltary airfields in the UK and have standard dimensions. A MATZ should not be confused with the separate ATZ established at a military aerodrome.
Within the MATZ aerodrome QFE is normally set, as instructed by ATC.

traffic cop
29th Mar 2001, 14:33
Seadog, me ol' hearty, you may be quite right, but I had the same query with TT, and was given the answer by my instructor to set aerodrome QNH. This may not vary much from regional QNH, but QFE may be substantially different. And as most questions relate to transiting a MATZ, and not landing, why QFE when terrain clearance may be of the essence?

Is there a definitive answer from any mil. controllers? :)

Thanks.

seadog
29th Mar 2001, 17:35
TC - you're right for transiting - and you don't need to legally even speak to a controller but the Military traditionally use QFE (although they change every 20 years or so!) so I guess both answers could be right......

Lucifer
29th Mar 2001, 23:31
On transit, set aerodrome QFE for military ATZs to make doubly sure you do not penetrate the MATZ, or if you are sure, set the QNH and simply inform them that you are overhead. For penetration, set QFE as your clearance will be given by mil ATCers as a QFE (and often no closer than xxnm.) Incidentally, from an airmanship PoV, bear in mind that military rules define a MATZ as 5nm radius and 3000' vertically with pan handles extending from this, while civil rules only recognise 3nm radius and 3000'. Inform them earlier and they WILL be grateful esp if they have instrument traffic inbound.

aerostude
30th Mar 2001, 18:23
If in doubt - PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

twistedenginestarter
30th Mar 2001, 18:39
I don't think this is an issue is it? It's some time since I've done this but I think the sequence of events is you say I'm so-and-so at x000 feet on ... 1007mb. They say do something not above y000 feet on 1012mb. Unless you have a ground clearance issue you just set your altimeter and do as you are told.

My approach to life is in general do what you are told whether or not you have the strict legal right not to. They probably are doing the best thing for everybody involved so help them out... unless you have a good reason not to.

If you feel bolshy about being told what to do then simply avoid their zone.

Live and let live. Treat everyone else as professionals. Almost always they are.

G SXTY
30th Mar 2001, 19:02
Many thanks for the advice chaps. I asked because I have my PPL law exam coming up, and wanted to know what the official view is. I had a nasty feeling though that someone would say both could be right . . . http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

I'll try the question on the examiner this weekend & report further.

------------------

low n' slow
1st Apr 2001, 17:45
Hi
My answer would be to set QFE as this is what most countries Airforces operate according to.
cheers and good luck with your exam/lns

Mooney
1st Apr 2001, 19:04
In the PPL world- flying through a MATZ i'd set QFE also going through a MATZ. Dont forget- you DONT have to get clearance to go into a MATZ zone.. but you do their ATZ...

Though its recommended you do tell them your entering their MATZ!

[This message has been edited by Mooney (edited 01 April 2001).]

Stan Evil
1st Apr 2001, 23:58
The answer, I would say, is to set what the military controller asks you to set. This can vary depending on the height you are at and how much traffic there is. If the guy's not busy and you're above his traffic he'll probably leave you on whatever altimeter setting you've told him you're using. If you will be mixing it with his traffic he'll ask you to set QFE and adjust to a suitable height.

BTW Lucifer, ATZ dimensions are 2000' agl and 2 nm radius (runway up to 1832m) or 2.5 nm radius (runway over 1832m).

twistedenginestarter
2nd Apr 2001, 12:40
G SXTY

Whilst it's true you can bust through a MATZ without permission I would strongly advise you to ignore that fact. Doing a PPL or commercial license and not contacting the MATZ controller would have significant adverse effects on your chance of gaining the licence you desire.

And remember he's there to save not only the life of his military pilots but also yours.

Arkroyal
2nd Apr 2001, 12:53
The dimensions of the MATZ are based on 3000ft above airfield elevation, so QFE would make it easier to know whether you're in it or not.

The controller will ask you to set whatever setting his/her other traffic is using in order to maintain seperation.

G SXTY
3rd Apr 2001, 00:50
Thanks again one and all for the advice. My instructor & the examiner both confirm QFE, so I can only think the book's first answer is a typo.

The exam is looming large, so wish me luck & I hope to report passing! :)

------------------