PDA

View Full Version : Scholaships and Bursaries

tobster911
20th Apr 2011, 14:54
Hi everyone. im currently 15 and am hoping of gaining my PPL at 17. However, there is one tiny issue... MONEY! I have none. I have a few part time jobs, which will buy me 1 hour a month, if i'm lucky. Now, this, using basic maths, will take somewhere in the region of 3-4 years, which, I don't really want to be 19 ish, 17 would be great. Anyway... to the subject of the post, does anybody know any bursaries or scholarships that I could do at my age do get as many hours flying as possible... Please don't mention Air Cadets. Grateful for any help

Thank you
tobster911

jxc
20th Apr 2011, 15:34
Air cadets ! why not ?
I had a great time when i was with them in Dorking, Surrey 1408 had lots of experience flying with them Chipmunks, gazelle helicopter and a few gliders

gliding is probably best for you to start with as you can help out around the gliding club and in return get flights also alot cheaper for starters and a good foundation to flying

Good luck

jez d
20th Apr 2011, 16:30
A few for you to investigate:

Air League Flying Scholarships
Air League Flying Bursaries
Caroline Trust (gliding)
GAPAN PPL Scholarships
de Havilland Educational Trust
Light Aircraft Association Foundation Scholarship
Royal Aero Club Trust
Royal Aeronautical Society Centennial Scholarship fund
RAF Association Flying Scholarships
Royal Navy Gliding Scholarships

A quick search on Google should provide the links.

Best of luck, jez

RTN11
20th Apr 2011, 17:14
Why are you down on air cadets? there's loads of scholarships they do for both gliding, and then onto powered flight. I logged about 30 hours of completely free flying through them.

Also, they have loads of other activities which make you a much more rounded individual. Leadership skills, teaching, teamwork, all essential life skills.

tobster911
20th Apr 2011, 17:39
I was already part of the air cadets, and I thouroughly enjoyed it, however, I was never able to go flying. I was there for 2 and a bit years, and had almost 10 flying oppertunities, but i was never allowed to go as my 3822 (logbook) wasnt signed to allow me to fly, which sucks... I am part of the Lakes Gliding Club and go flying with them regularly. I have had a bit of experience flying planes, about 3 hours, and have another 2 hour flight next tuesday, however, money is very tight, and i am after scholarships etc. I have already recieved a £100 grant from the Caroline trust, which helped a lot.

Thank you for your help so far...

PotentialPilot
20th Apr 2011, 21:41
Air cadets..
Best five years of my life!
Soo many RAF base visits, aircrafts hours.
Soo much experience.
If your not already, get in.
Dual control hours will count.
RAF scholaships available.

Failing that, try the guild of Air pilots and navigators

21st Apr 2011, 07:50
Tobs,

One thing to point out - You assume that you will be earning the same amount at age 16, 17, 18 and 19 as you do now.
Your earnings will increase, and assuming you earn enough for an hour a month now, when you are 16 and subject to minimum wage you'll be earning enough for an hour every fortnight, and it will only increase.

Using this as a base, there is no reason you can't achieve your PPL aged 17 and not the 19 you assumed.

At 15 you are most likely too young to be considered as a genuine candidate for most scholarships (check the conditions and small print. Granted, someone has to be awarded them and no reason it can't be you, but you're more likely to be successful in a few years time).

So, my advice if you want it:
Concentrate on school and make sure you have a social life! You're young, you want to succeed, but don't waste your youth worrying about money, plenty of time for that when you have bills and rent and taxes and cars....
Work and save your money, you might find having a separate account for flying money may help.
Hang around airfields as much as you can, offer to clean planes/ mow grass/ make teas etc. You'll find that as you make friends you'll be invited flying. Even if you can't log it, you'll get experience.

As for the scholarships, don't be disheartened if you don't get them, try and try again, whilst continuing to build your experience as much as you can.

tobster911
21st Apr 2011, 15:46
Wow, never knew that. I currently earn £4.50 p/h and £15 a week paper round.
Thanks, ill look into that, yeah, im currently about £1 p/h over 16-17 yr minimum wage, but thanks.the issue is,i hate my job. I know theres not much a 15 year old can do, and i know the pay is FANTASTIC for my age, but I really want a job that I enjoy, preferably on the 'people front' you know, on a till or serving customers, at the moment, I just wash dishes, I'm thinking of applying jor a job at Tesco when i am 16, try and earn a bit more income. I'd like to point it out again to the people who missed it, I have been part of ATC, but, a) I Wasn't allowed to fly, and, b) even if i was, the instructors arent CAA Qualified, so they wouldnt count.