PDA

View Full Version : Blocked Emergency Exits

mikethompson747
27th Jun 2001, 19:19
While on a recent charter flight with a well known holiday airline to Lanzrote, i was fortunate enough to be seated in row 1 there and back.
During the flight I noticed that both the front emergency exits were blocked for half the flightwith drinks and duty free trolleys, a rubbish bag and a few credit card machines on the floor.
My thought that it would prove difficult to exit in an emergency.

I didn't think much of it on the outbound flight but when it happened again on the return flight, i was a little more concerned.

Are my fears founded ??

splonguk
27th Jun 2001, 19:32
If there is an emergency mid-flight, the crew are likely to have a reasonable amount of time (just like when the aircraft is being prepared for landing) to clear away all lose items; hence, the exits will be cleared.

OK, in an emergency descent the items might move and hit a pax, but so would peoples coffee cups and meal trays, so I do not think it is a major problem - maybe bad practise but not a problem.

In the unlikely event of a disaster mid-air (i.e an explosion), you won't be needing the exits!

[This message has been edited by splonguk (edited 27 June 2001).]

Jetdriver
27th Jun 2001, 19:34
Mike,

The exits would most definetaly have been unrestricted during taxi , take off and landing as this is a legal requirement.

During the flight at 35,000 ft there is often little room to manouever other than using the space near the exits. As I am sure you must appreciate, there is little point in using the exit at this altitude :)

if there was a situation that required a rapid landing, one of the requirements would be to remove any obstructions by the exits. There would be time available to do this.

The situation you describe is very normal. Your fears are unfounded.

mikethompson747
27th Jun 2001, 20:14
Thanks guys

when you think about it really, from say 35,000 feet you have a good 20 mins or so until the ground so it is pleanty of time, something that didn't occur to me.
And i guess with a fatal incident at 35,000 i would be glad of a free beer flying through the air towards me.

Much appreciated
Mike

ammdolly
28th Jun 2001, 05:43
Just a further addition, have trained SEP'S and the rules for the UK airlines regarding blocked exits during flights is clear. You can only have a cart by a door as long as it is not left unattended [ie there is somebody in the galley], and there is an empty space for it to be put into qucikly [so you cant have a cart from the rear blocking a forward exit], also the seats must be free from clutter and easily accessable in case of decompression/cabin air supply failure. But saying that, yes if you are not careful the 1DL can get cluttered so the guys really should have been keeping an eye, and also if there was an emergency that prevented the correct stowage of equipment quickly, you could always chuck them in the loo [although this too is frowned upon]
Hope this helps.