PDA

View Full Version : Is BUZZ still BUZZING? What's the mood like for pilots?

LAVDUMPER
9th Feb 2002, 00:34
We continually here about increases in traffic and fleet sizes from EasyJet, GO and Ryanair... I haven't heard much from Buzz lately besides some addition of some French routes to the summer schedule.

For Buzz pilots:

1. What's the mood like among Buzz pilots?

2. Have there been many defections to GO, Ryanair, etc.?

3. What do you especially like about Buzz?

Best of luck to all involved!

Herod
9th Feb 2002, 01:19
1. Good. .2. No. .3. It's still paying my wages, and likely to do so for some time to come.

Watch this space, the future's still yellow.

LAVDUMPER
11th Feb 2002, 20:50
Back up top.

. .Any more Buzz pilots out there willing to contribute? Although I appreciated Herod's reply - I'd love to get some more thought put into it for other responses...

. .Best of luck to all involved!

. .Cheers

Herod
12th Feb 2002, 02:25
Well, Lavdumper, I've given it a bit more thought, and my replies are still the same. Let me elaborate:

1. Buzz, as far as pilots are concerned, isn't a company as such. It's a trading name adopted by KLMuk for their low-cost airline. All pilots are employed by KLMuk, which is in turn wholly owned by KLM. Buzz flies all day-trips at the moment, which suits most people. Sure, there are some who have to commute longer distances, or who may want a night-stopping roster for other reasons. They would prefer to be on the KLMuk side of the operation. However, since the two sides use different aircraft, that isn't so easy. I would say that probably 70-80% of the pilots have a high morale on that point. Regarding expansion, we look at Easy and Ryanair, but I for one can't help wondering whether it will all end in tears.

2. Defections from buzz to the other low-costers. Purely off the top of my head I can think of two F/Os who went off to Easy and one captain who left for Go. None to Ryanair as far as I know. A few from the KLMuk side, primarily I think because they wanted an end to nightstops. Most people leaving the company are moving upwards rather than sideways; e.g. Emirates.

3. What appeals? I've been with KLMuk and its predecessors for over 23 years, four different bases, all sorts of different roster patterns. Now I have a 737 flying an interesting mix of routes, from 35 minutes to 3 hours, from Finland in the winter (minus 26) to Spain in the summer. I'm working with a good bunch of people, on the flightdeck, in the cabin and on the ground. Top of the list, I'm getting home every night, which to a home-lover is the BIG bonus. Plus, as I said, they are paying my wages. Not as much as I'd like, or perhaps think I'm worth, but a nice sum anyway, and look like doing it for a while to come. We may not be setting the headlines with hundreds of new aircraft, but I suspect we will be here after certain others have packed up their stalls and gone home.

Perhaps some of my colleagues will add a bit here?

Flap 5
14th Feb 2002, 10:34
They have stopped flying to Italy, as from the end of March. Withdrawing from major destinations at short notice doesn't give a lot of confidence in the airline.

Herod
14th Feb 2002, 18:20
They gave several months notice of the end of the Milan route. If confidence is dented by airlines withdrawing from routes then perhaps we should worry about BA, Lufthansa, SAS, Air France, Alitalia, Iberia etc, and that's just this neck of the woods. Change your continental interest to France, and we will be happy to accomodate you (or try Go or Ryanair, both of whom will be slugging it out over Milan this summer)

The future's still yellow.

LAVDUMPER
14th Feb 2002, 20:55
Herod,

Thanks for your in-depth reply. That's the type of info I am looking for. I find Buzz to be a very interesting niche operation that does have a lot of potential.

Any other Buzz pilot reply's out there? Anyone flying the whisperjets (I love the 146s) with some comments about Buzz and the future?

. .Cheers

moggie
17th Feb 2002, 22:45
We down here in Jerez are a little disappointed that BUZZ are cutting their summer schedule from 6 to 1 flight per week. This despite very high load factors during last summer.

looks like the French push is at the expense of Spain which no longer has low cost flights to the southwest (nearest is Faro or Malaga - 3 hours plus by road).

GO, EJ and Ryanair - pull your fingers out and get down here for a captive market - loads of ex-pat brits working/training down here. Ok, Ryanair - we don't mind to much if you stay away!

buzz boy
18th Feb 2002, 01:38
Yep i am happy with my lot!

Good route variation, reasonable pay, good pension, and most of all a great bunch of people to work with.

though i think there is going to be big changes if Transavia becomes part of Buzz as is rumoured.

Wet Power
21st Feb 2002, 17:13
Vast majority of the 100+ leavers from KLMuk/Buzz 2-3 years ago were from KLMuk (blue fleet) including about 15 to 20 F100 Captains. Some went to Ryanair/GO as Captains while others went to BA/Virgin/Emirates/Monarch/JMC/Airtours etc as First Officers and on occasions have subsequently got commands.

I guess Herod was senior enough not to be 'told' he was moving to Edinburgh or Manchester or living out of a suitcase till retirement.. .He is correct though that Buzz crews were generally a lot happier with the outcome a couple of years ago than the F100/F50 crews. I also agree that there is going to be tears in the long run re Easyjet/Ryanair/GO. Only the really best survive in this market - look at America. Who will be the Southwest and who will be the Valujet?

Best of luck to Buzz for the future but it must have some investment from KLM in the near future and go single fleet at the earliest opportunity - low cost and more than one aircraft type don't add up.