PDA

View Full Version : Sporting equipment and sub-load travel.

cyclops camel
27th Jun 2001, 18:29
Wondering if any of you have tried traveling subload with bulky/heavy sporting gear like mountain bikes, kayaks etc. Will the counter staff accept that the excess baggage is not chargeable as it is sports equipment? I am a recently addicted paraglider pilot (as well as Airbus!!) and hope to take my glider away on days off. It weighs 17kg so I will be killed if other carriers try to enforce their 20kg limit on me. Thanks for any advice.

------------------
The blinder I get, the better you look.

Jetdriver
27th Jun 2001, 19:47
The words "Luck", "Your" and "Pushing" spring to mind. Baggage allowances are enforced by airlines on their full fare passengers ( to a greater or lesser degree). Why should you be treated any differently because you have already been granted the privilige of sub-load travel ?

Sports equipment is the same as any other baggage and will certainly count towards any excess. I dont know whether your glider is an unusual size and weight, but I would have a very short reply if I was presented with the situation where a last minute subload passengers outsize baggage was going to cause me any delay.

I think you will be relying on a high degree of goodwill, and I wish you well.

Eagle18th
27th Jun 2001, 22:54
Cyclops -
I think the main problem you may encounter is not so much weight but size.
It sounds like your paraglider may well be classed as outsize baggage, which cannot go down the normal baggage belt.
As a sub-load passenger you will also frequently only be checked in at the last minute and will have to carry your bags to the gate.
Some airlines refer to these pax simply as L.M.C's (last minute changes) , others call them "runners", but the most appropriate is "Have-a-go's" which expresses the airline's policy that they will not wait for you if the aircraft is otherwise ready.
I think your problem will be fighting your way through security and down to the gate carrying a bulky load.

I wish you good luck.

Buzz Lightyear
28th Jun 2001, 11:59
(Hi Jetdriver)
I travel regularly with a hangglider,usually confirmed travel however,and have found it depends on the person sat in front of you.Easyjet check in haven`t charged me to date and have been very accomodating (Reed Aviation) on the other hand Gatwick Handling are almost without fail the biggest pains in the ####,especially when you take the form of the lowest pondlife on earth namely ,a subload pax (their received impression,not mine)Most if not all airlines have a schedule of charges for all sporting equipment,my advice would be to offer to pay it,you`ll have a lot more clout if it goes missing with your vario,reserve etc.

mad_jock
28th Jun 2001, 12:21
I regularly move scuba gear round europe with no problems, including cylinders which are 12KG each. And have never had a problem.

I usually pull the cylinder valve then when it comes to booking in always head for one of the girls on the desk smile and batter my eyes at them. The scottish accent must help as well. So normally the whole lot will be approx 25Kg.

The only other problem is when i go through security and have to put the 28lb lead weight belt and 5kg of demand valve first stages through the x-ray machine :)

MJ

cyclops camel
28th Jun 2001, 21:35
Thanks for the replies boys. Seems like I'm not the only adrenaline junkie out there. Fly safe.

------------------
The blinder I get, the better you look.

towser
29th Jun 2001, 00:28
I regularily take golf clubs with me sub-load which have to go on oversize baggage belt and have not yet had any probs.