PDA

View Full Version : Approach time & holding area?

WanToBe1
27th Jun 2001, 16:07
Hi,

I have 2 questions and i hope someone can answer them.

1. When i listen to my scanner i hear for example: KLM236, your approach time is 08.
What do the mean with approach time 08??

2. I also hear that the ATC says that an airplane is cleared for an VOR, but first has to go SUGOL (Holding area). But what does a pilot have to do when it is in the holding area? Do they switch to a other frequencie? Or do they know what to do when they arrive to the holding area??

Hope someone can help me.

THANX :-)

cossack
27th Jun 2001, 16:22
Something tells me you're listening to Schipol!
In the UK we sometimes give an Expected Approach Time (EAT). This is the time an aircraft can expect to leave the hold and commence its approach to land. It is only given here when holding exceeds 20 minutes. Up to that point we try to give a rough estimate of any holding time.
Holding procedures are published in charts for all airports and pilots know what is expected of them when they get there. They generally fly a "racetrack" pattern which takes about 5 minutes for each lap. ATC will control the altitude of aircraft in the "stack" to ensure that in each stack there is only one aicraft per 1000 feet or flight level.
I hope this helps.

WanToBe1
27th Jun 2001, 17:19
That's correct :-), i'm listening to Schiphol. Now i got it!!! But approach time 08 means 8 minutes??????

THANX

Tinstaafl
27th Jun 2001, 17:29
Yes, 08 means "Eight minutes after the hour". If the current time is already after eight minutes past the current hour, then it is taken to mean after the next hour.

If there is any chance of confusion then the time will be given in hours & minutes.

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 27 June 2001).]

WanToBe1
27th Jun 2001, 17:42
OK, get it. But the only tell it when you are holding more than 20 minutes (just to be sure :))??

THANX

Flap33
27th Jun 2001, 17:51
Sugol is a clearance limit point for arrivals from the West to Schipol. If you hear nothing you must hold here (on the 294 Radial from SPL at 31 DME - I think). In the UK it is accepted that an arrival to an airport with a delay of less than 20 minutes cabn be accepted as no delay. Expected Approach Times always apply to the minute after the next hour.

Hope this helps.

F33

WanToBe1
27th Jun 2001, 18:03
GET IT :-). Didn't know that when you hear nothing from thet ATC you have to go there.

THANX for the reply's.

WanToBe1 (Pilot :))