PDA

View Full Version : india DGCA ATPL exam

Pages : [1] 2

sushantmmehta
13th Apr 2011, 18:26
Hi guys,
Just wanted to ask the procedure to apply for indian DGCA ATPL exams.
DGCA site sucks:ugh:.
Whats are the documents required and all that ..thanks:D

:ok:

cyrilroy21
13th Apr 2011, 19:22
All you need is to fill in the application form for the subjects in which you want to appear along woth the required DD amount ( 500 /subject )
Also inlcude a copy of your Indian CPL with multi engine rating

Thats it . All this info is given on the application form

http://dgca.nic.in/forms/Pilot/pilotexam.pdf

sushantmmehta
13th Apr 2011, 20:25
thanks for the reply
what about those doucments that were required from the flyign school.heard that rule was scrapped so was confused.

cyrilroy21
13th Apr 2011, 20:35
Yup all those requirements were scrapped

All you need is an attested copy of your Indian CPL with the multi engine rating

For further reading

http://www.dgca.nic.in/cars/D7B-B1.pdf

maverick24
14th Apr 2011, 07:45
@cyril
i have an indian CPL with MEIR am I eligible to write the ATPL papers ?

bombayhues
14th Apr 2011, 08:52
@Maverick: You are eligible :)

aadityaslg
14th Apr 2011, 09:01
If you had only one book to study per subject and pass the DGCA ATPL which one would it be?

PT6A
14th Apr 2011, 09:02
They not suspended the exams until they sort the mess out?

PT6A

sushantmmehta
14th Apr 2011, 13:01
Thank you for the reply guys...:ok:
really appreciated.
just wanted to confirm,for july attempt,when will registration start?after the result for april attempt comes out right?
cheers

aadityaslg
14th Apr 2011, 13:09
You appreciate others replying, but have no concern for other the queries of other people?

If you are studying for the ATPL then you should have some books in mind, if you do please share!

sushantmmehta
14th Apr 2011, 13:19
I am really sorry about that.
I am going to study/studying from oxford aviation.Got the printout for the main books at real cheap rates...;)
about 3000 pages..:E

The only reason I got the prinouts is because I am unable to study via the computer screen.

Any more info?:ok:

sushantmmehta
14th Apr 2011, 13:22
I beleive they have only cancelled the special exam to be held this time

aadityaslg
14th Apr 2011, 14:11
@ sushantmmehta - please chk your pm

mrclumsy
14th Apr 2011, 14:50
Hey guys quick question. I have a unfrozen australian atpls. What's the procedure of converting it to Indian atpls. I Havnt looked at inian aviation till about few weeks ago and hence am. Bit out of the loop.

yash
14th Apr 2011, 14:59
@sushant - can you pm me the address from where you got the print out at amazing rates if you are in delhi

3443 nautical miles
14th Apr 2011, 15:11
@sushant please check your pm

cyrilroy21
14th Apr 2011, 18:18
@ mrclumsy

Have a look here

http://www.dgca.nic.in/forms/crew-d/atpl_aR.pdf

planeboy_777
15th Apr 2011, 10:29
which question bank shuld we refer for ATPL Meteorology

aadityaslg
16th Apr 2011, 15:56
1) Meteorology.

2) Radio Aids.

3) Navigation.

Please advice the 2 books for each of the ATPL papers!

aviator7256
16th Apr 2011, 18:10
Hi Guys,
Even I have filled up the form for the ATPL PAPERS (RADIO AIDS AND METEOROLOGY)
Am studying I C Joshi for MET and Oxford for Radioaids.
is it sufficient???

Help would be appreciated!

aadityaslg
16th Apr 2011, 18:18
I have heard "Keith Williams 1000 ATPL Questions" is really important.. but I am not sure if there is one for Met & Radio Aids.

There is one for Navigation for sure, another thing I don't understand is..
Is "Instruments" a part of the Radio Aids exam??

and which attempt have you filled in your form for??
I wish to appear for the Met paper this time.. will take it one at a time..
(don't even have a job yet so plenty of time in hand!)

yash
17th Apr 2011, 08:04
if anyone here has appeared for the ATPL radio exams can you please share if there were any questions asked on EFSI , FMS etc in previous papers ?

aviator7256
17th Apr 2011, 11:50
Even I have this doubt if instruments is a part of radio aids or not.
asked a couple of my friends and according to them-its not. but not sure.

I have filled the form for April attempt...
Even I don't have a job- so wanted to use the time...
M concentrating on MET, and will give the radio aids paper to know how is it like.
Lets see!

keith williams
17th Apr 2011, 13:53
The DGCA website is a bit of a monster and attempting to follow logical paths such as "Personnel Licensing - Flight Crew - ATPL - Examination Syllabus" does not work.

The best path that I could find was "Personnel Licensing - Related Regulations - Flight Crew Licenses - Section 7 Flight Crew Standards, Training and Licensing".

This gives details of the syllabus for each examination, including the following.

2.1.2 Aircraft General Knowledge

a) general characteristics and limitations of electrical, hydraulic, pressurisation and other aeroplane systems; flight control systems, including auto-pilot and stability augmentation;

b) principles of operation, handling procedures and operating limitations of aeroplane power plants; effects of atmospheric conditions on engine performance; relevant operational information from the flight manual or other appropriate document;

c) operating procedures and limitations of appropriate aeroplanes; effects of atmospheric conditions on aeroplane performance;

d) use and serviceability checks of equipment and systems of appropriate aeroplanes;

e) flight instruments; compasses, turning and acceleration errors; gyroscopic instruments, operational limits and precession effects; practices and procedures in the event of malfunctions of various flight instruments;

f) maintenance procedures for airframes, systems and power plants of appropriate aeroplanes;

2.1.6 Navigation
a) air navigation, including the use of aeronautical charts, radio navigation aids; and area navigation systems; specific navigation requirements for long-range flights.

b) use, limitations and serviceability of avionics and instruments necessary for the control and navigation of aeroplanes;

c) use, accuracy and reliability of navigation systems used in departure,
en-route, approach and landing phases of flight; identification of radio navigation aids;.

d) principles and characteristics of self contained and external -referenced navigation systems; operation of airborne equipment;

But it may of course be out of date!

parasite tango
17th Apr 2011, 14:47
Yes radio aids and instruments are combined together in one paper. Equal proportion of questions are asked from each of them.

Expect lot of questions on EFIS,FMS, INS& IRS etc.

October 2010 attempt was full of questions from automation which includes autopilot, autoland, EICAS, EACM etc..But none of these topics were touched in January attempt only 5-6 Questions from automation.

Regards
Parasite

sushantmmehta
17th Apr 2011, 15:00
has the registration for july attempt for ATPL started?
if not,when does it start?

yash
17th Apr 2011, 16:18
@parasite tango

any particular book you read for questions on automation which might help ? oxford , gsp ?

sushantmmehta
17th Apr 2011, 17:54
Hey guys
To all who asked me for the place to get prinouts,NEHRU PLACE in NEW DELHI...:D
.75 rupees per page,I got about 2900 pages for about 2400,including spiral binding.
I cant explain the exact location of that particular shop,but its ground floor,probably meghdoot tower.The owner is a sardar uncle.Half of NIFT is present there all the time.:E

Cheers,and lets hope hard work pays off sooner than later..:ugh:

SM

parasite tango
17th Apr 2011, 18:56
Yash all the questions on automation were from oxford. I think oxford should be sufficient as far as automation is concerned. If you need any other information let me know

Regards
parasite

aviator7256
18th Apr 2011, 10:55
Hey can u please suggest something for MET as well, if u have appeared for that too.
thanks

Aviator7256

mc1805
18th Apr 2011, 11:04
Could some one please explain ,how to solve this question

what will be the rate of descent when flying down a 12% glide slope, at a G/S of 540 Kts?

Thanks..

keith williams
18th Apr 2011, 11:41
The simple solution is to multiply the % gradient by the TAS in knots.

In this case it gives 12 x 540 = 6480 feet per minute.

This is an approximation based on another approximatrion that 1 knot - 100 feet per minute. (1 kont is really closer to 101.333 feet per minute).

Most questions of this type use a 3 degree glideslope. For this you must remember that the % gradient = 100 x tan descent angle. For 3 degrees this gives approximatley 5% gradient.

So for example a 3 degree glideslope at 100 knots requires 5 x 100 = 500 feet per minute ROD.

All of the above assumes nil wind.

aviator7256
18th Apr 2011, 17:08
Hey can anyone tell me,if STATION MODEL is asked in MET ATPL PAPER..

Thanks

yash
19th Apr 2011, 05:51
i have not appeared in ATPL exam before but i have heard they do ask station model in the exam

sushantmmehta
2nd May 2011, 18:40
Hello guys
Can your please tell me when is the last date to apply for DGCA ATPL exam july attempt?
:ok:

CaptGalaxy
3rd May 2011, 12:15
Hi All,

Is there a concept of Frozen ATPL in India? is it possible that we clear the written exams without any flying post issue of CPL?

Cheers,
P

planeboy_777
3rd May 2011, 13:21
there is no such thing as Frozen atpl to DGCA :rolleyes::rolleyes:itz just passing the 3 papers + orals and gathering the marksheets........and thank god :D:D:Dthe validity of the papers is 5 years so there's no problem of papers getting lapsed

Uniform.
5th Jun 2011, 06:16
Guys, I would appreciate if somebody could clear my doubt, this might be silly one but i am confused :confused:

Acc to DGCA syllabus , there are 5 papers (divided into 9 topics) for ATPL examination http://www.dgca.nic.in/misc/draft%20...bus(draft).pdf
whereas from ppl i am getting to know that there are just 3 papers
met, nav and radio aids (which includes instruments),
(this draft is issued since oct 2010, when its going to be implemented)
please please shed some info, how many papers are there and which section is included in which paper. DGCA :mad:

Maverick 03
5th Jun 2011, 17:49
Yes there are only 3 papers for DGCA ATPL...and also there has been a draft in place for reviewing about whether to increase the number of exams to 5.....but as it says it is a DRAFT.....
which means that it is a suggestion which is being considered and "looked upon" about the betterment of the aviation industry...just like the several other drafts which have been put up in last 5 years......which have ultimately failed or haven't ever reformed from being just a "draft" to a reality.....

If you look then you'll find that there is a similar draft for the CPL exams as well....but again it's just a Draft....

What happens is that when DGCA issues a draft, it sends its copy to all the flying clubs across the country and request the CFI's to come up with their suggestion and/also any changes they would like to suggest to make it better....but as far as I know...neither the CFI's, nor the DGCA is very much concerned about it and ultimately these suggestions and drafts end up in the dustbin.....

So if you are concerned whether this draft might come into force, then I would suggest that you take a chill pill becoz it will take much more time...and that too if DGCA is actually concerned about making any changes....

Maverick 03
5th Jun 2011, 17:52
Can anyone please tell me that if I am flying in an international airline and want to appear in the Indian DGCA ATPL exam, then shall I have to submit a certificate for proving that I have attended classes for the ATPL exam preparation???

And also if DGCA would consider such a letter from any non-Indian airline??

Uniform.
8th Jun 2011, 06:11
hey thanks Maverick 03 :)

capt.ace
8th Jun 2011, 19:44
what are the subjects for dgca atpl.as per some there are nav,radio aids,met.i want to know,is there reg and technical also

Uniform.
9th Jun 2011, 07:23
@capt.ace

I havent appeared for any ATPL exams but preparing for July atempt and according to what i knw there are 3 : nav, met and radio aids (which includes instrumentation)

guys please correct me if i am wrong.

cloudripper
9th Jun 2011, 07:45
quick questionS to the professionals from a lowtimer :

Q)Radioaltimeter turns analog to circular at ____ ?:
1. below 1000feet
2.at or below 1000 feet
3.at DH

Q) what is the rhumb line track from A (4500N 01000W) to B (4830N 01500W) ?----Method to solve this question if described would be a great help!

capt.ace
9th Jun 2011, 12:03
@uniform
thnx buddy.also i want to confirm that automation,fms,irs,ins,magnetism ,gyros are part of navigation? and instruments is combined with radio aids.

planeboy_777
9th Jun 2011, 12:47
Answer is B)
This happens in a 737 while landing .Check out youtube for this

for next question
this is a simple problem with trigonometry involved

Adjacent side is = C'long x 60 x Cos (lat) = (15-10) x 60 x cos (48.5) =198.7NM
Opposite side = Chlong x 60= 210NM

so the angle between ADJ and HYP is Tan (theta) = Opp/adj = 46.56deg
so at point from B to A is 090 + 46.56 = 136.56

which is 136 + 180 = 316 deg form A to B

planeboy_777
9th Jun 2011, 12:49
Don't rely upon others opinion.

DGCA has issued something known as CAR civil aviation requirments for us
read that .

cloudripper
10th Jun 2011, 05:06
thanks planeboy777,

for the second problem: can you also suggest how to find Great circle and Rhumb line distances also?.. between A (4500N 01000W) to B (4830N 01500W) ?

one more q)
A(equator, 59E), you travel on bearing 225 for 100 Nm, find new coordinates?
---- I know dlat comes to be 1deg10'..but not sure if my Dlong is correct , how to find Dlong here?

Uniform.
10th Jun 2011, 07:26
@capt.ace
yes all those comes in instruments section apart from ins which is included in both instru-radio and nav paper

@planeboy_777
i understand that but its DGCA. i got all this info from one of my friend who gave the last attempt

tarmac
17th Jun 2011, 11:38
http://dgca.nic.in/tenders/Online%20Examination-2011.pdf

sushantmmehta
21st Jun 2011, 22:45
when is the last date to apply for the july attempt?

cyrilroy21
21st Jun 2011, 23:25
@sushant

They havent published the last date . They said that they will anounce it soon on their website . Probably waiting to finalise the tender for the online exam .

I think they are starting to take in applications though since the results of the april attempt has been published

sonsal
22nd Jun 2011, 06:23
i have send in my application for the ATPL for banglore center. I have just checked the tender's link and it says the ATPL online papers are gonna be in DEL, kolkata, mumbai and chennai.
so what is going to happen, are they not gonna have ATPL papers in the other centers Or they would shift my venue to the nearest center?:confused:

sushantmmehta
23rd Jun 2011, 01:09
Thanks a lot cyril!!cheers

yash
23rd Jun 2011, 04:27
I have a question, now that DGCA doesnt issue Marksheets , what do i do about the exams i have passed . Shall i keep the PDF file with me or i take it to DGCA to get it stamped or something ? Any ideas ?

kush3370
23rd Jun 2011, 05:20
@Yash

You just download the pages showing your name and result from admitted list and result list, highlight them with the marker and keep it with you, thats all you need in order to issue or renewal purpose for any of your license..

Cheers...

yash
23rd Jun 2011, 06:09
Thanks man , seems like i gotta keep that print out safe for a while then .

priyankaflyingbird
26th Jun 2011, 06:07
@aadityaslg

hi... can you please tell me what all documents we need to attach along with the atpl form ?

LOFT
26th Jun 2011, 10:25
Hi guys, are we supposed to fill in the annexure 2 form if appearing for atpl the first time ?

cyrilroy21
26th Jun 2011, 10:38
@LOFT

Which revision of the application form are you looking at ?

The current one is January 2011 .

There no such need for an annexure forms

priyankaflyingbird
29th Jun 2011, 06:05
@aadityaslg

do you have any idea , that when we need to submit the application form and what all i have to attach with the application form ..

sriramee
29th Jun 2011, 12:52
hi,
i am not able to find the answer for the following questions which has been asked in DGCA ATPL oral.
it would be helpful if someone could tell the answer for the following questions,
what is the difference between RNAV 1 and RNP1?
in enroute charts, why are some airports doesnt have localiser symbol, even though airport has ILS facility.
who issued the MOCA which is depicted on enroute chart ( jeppesen or state authority, ? how can we find out this? )

Thanking you

Capt.Morrgan
30th Jun 2011, 04:59
Folks, since there is no last date mentioned yet (not that I could see anyways) on the DGCA website, for the July ATPL exams, is it safe to say that they (dgca) are still accepting applications for the July session?
Thanks!

capt.ameen
30th Jun 2011, 05:41
HI everyone out there'

DGCA have issued a detailed syllabus but the greatest irony is that for Technical-General both CPL and ATPL syllabus are one and the same!!!

priyankaflyingbird
30th Jun 2011, 06:56
@yash

can you please tell me from which bank i need to make the d.d for the atpl exams ..and is that ok if i submit my form right now ?

FLYPINTU
30th Jun 2011, 12:21
what are other documents need to be submitted along with dgca cpl license for giving ATPL exams....

FLYPINTU
30th Jun 2011, 12:22
@priyanka

The DD can be from Any Nationalised Bank in India....

ifly11
12th Jul 2011, 09:52
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please tell me if I can apply for ATPL exams without having any hrs post CPL?

Also, What documents do I need to submit with the form and which are the best books to consult.

Ill be really grateful if someone could help me with it.

Thanks!

cyrilroy21
12th Jul 2011, 09:57
You dont need any hours post your CPL provided you have a multi endorsement on your Indian CPL

If you dont have a multi endorsement then you will need atleast 500 hours total time.

For the paperwork all you need is an attested copy of your Indian CPL along with the DD

flylikeaBE76
12th Jul 2011, 11:05
You've interpreted it wrongly. It's 500 hours total time in case of defense personnel only.

cyrilroy21
12th Jul 2011, 11:14
Lol you sure ?

I thought only the 200 hours PIC was for defence personnel

Anyway you still need a multi engine endorsement for writing the ATPL exams

jehan
13th Jul 2011, 04:26
Guys I am planning to give ATPL exams from October attempt. I have read the validity for the paoers which is 5 years but my query is that :- is every paper valid for 5 years or they are valid for 5 years from the result of the last paper. Plz help

Regards,
Jehan,

kush3370
13th Jul 2011, 05:28
@Jehan

Your Particular paper is valid for 5 years from the date mentioned on the result card (now a days it will be online). but the funda remains same. it doesnt have anything to do with your last paper's result.

for ex : Air Regulation showing date 10/07/2011 then its valid till 09/07/2016
and Navigation showing date 09/06/2009 then it is valid till 08/06/2014 .
so when you submit your papers to issue an ATPL, all the results should be with in their validity periods,

hope this helps...

capt.ace
13th Jul 2011, 05:29
all general subjects are valid for 5 years and technical (p1,p2,p3) are for 2 & half year.validity starts from the date which is mention on result card or date when result was declared

pilotbaba
13th Jul 2011, 07:40
Can I apply for ATPL exams if I have a indian CPL with multi endt but the CPL is expired, I tried searching everywhere in the regs but couldn't find the answer.... does anyone have any knowledge abt this,

sonsal
13th Jul 2011, 08:11
@pilotbaba,
No your CPL has to be valid. renew your CPL then think about giving ATPL exams.

pilotbaba
13th Jul 2011, 08:17
That's what I am trying to figure out, what is the best course..........
do all cpl exams and then ATPL exams or if I could, just do all ATPL exams,

sonsal
13th Jul 2011, 08:27
If you have foreign ATPL, then you can give ATPL conversion exam without renewing indian CPL.

aadityaslg
14th Jul 2011, 06:12
Subject: Pilot Licence Examination – July 2011 Session – Centres for ATPL/
ATPL(CG) Examination

Reference is invited to Public Notice dated 8thJuly 2011 on the subject of Pilot Licence Written Examination – July 2011 Session.

It has been decided that Pilot Licence examination - July 2011 session for ATPL Category shall be conducted only at Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai.

All candidates desirous for appearing in ATPL/ ATPL(CG) Category during Pilot
examination - July 2011 session are required to submit their application with the above choice of centres only.

Those candidates who have already submitted their application prior to this
Public Notice are required to send their request in writing (by Speed Post/ Registered Post only) for allotment of any one of the centres as above and also send an e-mail to [email protected].

The last date for submission of application/ choice of center for ATPL/ ATPL(CG) has been extended to 21st July 2011.

The date for submission of applications for Categories other than ATPL and ATPL(CG) remains 18th July 2011.

37thousandfeet
14th Jul 2011, 06:21
to which address we have to send the speed post.?
it says send to CEO..!

Aviator09
14th Jul 2011, 08:05
@37thousandfeet
Its the DGCA R.K. Puram Address.!

37thousandfeet
14th Jul 2011, 08:58
@Aviator09
thanks...

FLYPINTU
14th Jul 2011, 17:17
It has been decided that Pilot Licence examination - July 2011 session for ATPL
Category shall be conducted only at Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai.

http://dgca.nic.in/public_notice/PN%20-%20ATPL%20application.pdf

mach5
31st Jul 2011, 09:34
Hi parasite tango , if possible can u tell us till wht depth does thy ask Qs abt FMS,INS,IRS,ECAM and EICAS, AUTOLANDING system

mike_sierra
31st Jul 2011, 12:22
I have a question..would appreciate people's help

1) An a/c flying at 6000' enters the cone of confusion of a VOR. What is the diameter in nm of the cone. (this has got something to do with sin/tan/cos 40)

flyjet787
31st Jul 2011, 13:03
1) An a/c flying at 6000' enters the cone of confusion of a VOR. What is the diameter in nm of the cone. (this has got something to do with sin/tan/cos 40)

Radius of cone of confusion = A/C altitude (in NM) X Tan 50

and then radius X 2 to get the diameter of cone of confusion in NM. :ok:

kapoor.varun
1st Aug 2011, 10:51
a question to anybody who is willing.... i have a current CPL/MEIR..... i passed air nav( composite) and regs exam (CPLCG) what papers do i need for my ATPL..... i know radio navigation is one, any other i should know about ?

also can i be issued with ATPL(frozen ) with the pass results of ATPL papers which are valid for 5 years ? ( if i do no flying at all that is )

mike_sierra
2nd Aug 2011, 09:19
@ flyjet787 thanks for the reply!

Could anyone help me with conversion of glide slope in terms of % gradient to degrees? Here are some questions in terms of gradient:
1) a/c descends at 12% gradient, GS=540kts, find RoD
2) a/c maintains 5.2% gradient and is at 7nm from the RWY. Find the height of the a/c

Thanks again!

smurf84
2nd Aug 2011, 10:01
Mike Sierra - I think you can work it out this way.

Your descent gradient is 12% which is 0.12 times the groundspeed.

0.12 * 540 kts = 64.8 kts (Now, 1 knot = 101.33 feet/min)

So your ROD works out to be = 64.8 * 101.33 = 6566 feet/min

smurf84
2nd Aug 2011, 10:06
Mike Sierra - The answer to you second question could be worked out using the 1 in 60 rule.

Percentage gradient is the tangent of 5.2 deg * 100 = 2.977 deg

Height of the aircraft = 7/2.977/60 ( 1 in 60 rule) = 0.3473 Nm

Nm to feet conversion = 0.3473 * 6080 = 2111.58 feet

I hope it's correct.

keith williams
2nd Aug 2011, 11:03
As with all such problems it is best to try to get an understanding of what the information means.

A 12% gradient means that your vertical speed is 12% of your horizontal speed.

12% of 540 knots = 540 x 12 / 100 = 64.8 knots.

1 knot = 101.33 ft/min so 64.8 knots = 64.8 x 101.33 = 6566.184 ft/min.

Smurf84
Your method can be used but you made an error in converting the tangent into an angle.

Percentage gradient is the tangent of 5.2 deg * 100 = 2.977 deg

% gradient = 100 x tangent so for 12% the tangent is 0.12 as you have said.

But for a tangent of 0.12 the angle is 6.843 degrees.

Dividing this by 60 and multiplying by 540 knots gives 61.58 knots.

Multiplying this by 101.33 ft/min/knot gives 6240.40 ft/min.

mike_sierra
2nd Aug 2011, 11:58
@smurf84 and @keith williams..thanks!
appreciate your help

smurf84
2nd Aug 2011, 16:50
Thanks for the correction, Keith. I reckon I'll have to go through it again.

wings of fire
3rd Aug 2011, 16:07
The below are some questions from Oxford instrumentation book - objective revision 4 and 5.

Q1) An a/c is descending at a contant mach number. If the a/c is descending through an inversion layer, the RAS will:

a)remain constant
b)increase
c)decrease
d)decrease then decrease more slowly

Answer is b) increase.
however during descent in inversion, temp decreases at lower altitude. so, LSS decreases. since M.no = (TAS / LSS), therefore TAS should also decrease, in order for M.No to remain constant.
Yes, density increases at lower altitudes.
Now, RAS=(1/2)*density*(TAS squared).
Therefore effect of decreasing TAS is more, then increase of density.
so answer should be c) decrease.
Can anyone explain?

Q2)A perfectly frictionless DI, is corrected to give zero drift on the ground at 30 degree north. The DI is set to read 100 degree in an a/c stationary on the ground in latitude 45 degree north. The reading after 45 mins will be:

a) 92.33 degree
b)102.50 degree
c)97.78 degree
d) 103.75 degree

Q3) with constant drift during flight, the a/c heading will:

a)increase by more than 10 degree
b)decrease by less than 10 degree
c)increase by less than 10 degree
d)remain constant

Answer is b). what;s the logic?

keith williams
6th Aug 2011, 12:42
Q1) An a/c is descending at a contant mach number. If the a/c is descending through an inversion layer, the RAS will:

a)remain constant
b)increase
c)decrease
d)decrease then decrease more slowly

Answer is b) increase.
however during descent in inversion, temp decreases at lower altitude. so, LSS decreases. since M.no = (TAS / LSS), therefore TAS should also decrease, in order for M.No to remain constant.
Yes, density increases at lower altitudes.
Now, RAS=(1/2)*density*(TAS squared).
Therefore effect of decreasing TAS is more, then increase of density.
so answer should be c) decrease.
Can anyone explain?

You are making the mistake of assuming that the rate of decrease in TAS squared is greater than the rate of increase in air density (which determines the RAS at any given TAS.

LSS is proportional to the square root of absolute temperature so as we descend at constant Mach in an inversion, the decreasing temperature will cause the LSS and our TAS to decrease.

But as we descend both the increasing static pressure and the decreasing air temperature will cause the air density to increase. This will cause the RAS and EAS at any given TAS to increase.

The effect of the increasing density will be greater than the effect of the decreasing LSS so the overall effect will be that the EAS and RAS both increase while the TAS decreases at constant Mach.

You should be familiar with the simple ERTM graphs, which will enable you to answer this type of question in an exam without taking the time to go through all of the above arguments. If you do not have them please send me a PM and I will send them to you.

Q2)A perfectly frictionless DI, is corrected to give zero drift on the ground at 30 degree north. The DI is set to read 100 degree in an a/c stationary on the ground in latitude 45 degree north. The reading after 45 mins will be:

a) 92.33 degree
b)102.50 degree
c)97.78 degree
d) 103.75 degree

If you cannot answer this question then you need to study gyro errors before taking the exams.

In the northern hemisphere Earth Rate drift rate in degrees per hour is

Earth Rate in degrees per hour = -15 x Sin Latitude

The latitude net is designed to create a drift rate in the opposite direction to compensate for Earth Rate.

In the northern hemisphere Latitude Nut Rate drift rate in degrees per hour is

Lat Nut drift rate in degrees per hour = + 15 x Sin Lat Nut Setting

Adding the two together gives the total drift rate, which is

15 x (Sin lat nut setting – Sin latitude)

Multiplying this by the time gives the total drift.

Inserting the data from the question gives.

The gyro is said to be totally frictionless so there will be no random wander

So Total drift =( (+15 x Sin 30) + (-15 x Sin 45) ) x 0.75 hours

Total drift = -2.32995 degrees

Adding this to the initial heading of 100 degrees gives

100 – 2.32995 = 97.67 degrees.

The closest option to this is option c.

[QUOTE]
Q3) with constant drift during flight, the a/c heading will:

a)increase by more than 10 degree
b)decrease by less than 10 degree
c)increase by less than 10 degree
d)remain constant

Answer is b). what;s

As it stands this question makes no sense. But if we assume that it is the same aircraft as in the previous question, then because it is in the northern hemisphere the earth rate drift will always be a minus value. This will cause the heading to decrease. Only option b includes a decrease, so we do not need to look any further. But the question states that the aircraft is “in flight” so we really need to consider Transport wander. But the question does not give us enough information to do this.

johney_flying_high
6th Aug 2011, 22:08
Hey Guys
I am appearing for ATPL for the first time. Could some1 please provide some notes on
1.Air Data Computer
2.Auto pilot
-autoland, sequence of operations
-system concept of autoland, go around, take off, fail passive, fail operational
redundant

Would really appreciate!:)

wings of fire
7th Aug 2011, 12:09
Could anyone clarify about Mode 6 and 7 in EGPWS.

Mode 7 is for windshear alert below 1500 feet and gives windshear warning both during approach and takeoff.

similarly, Mode 6 gives bankangle warning. Is the bank angle warning only during approach or also during t/o?

keith williams
7th Aug 2011, 17:28
If you do a GOOGLE search for EGPWS you will find a lot of links inlcuding some to the HONEYWELL website.

These links cover most of what you will need to know about the subject.

wings of fire
8th Aug 2011, 13:29
I skipped a vital sentence from one of my earlier questions by mistake. I apologise. Here is the full question:

An INS equipped a/c flies from 56 N 20 W (waypoint 3) to 56 N 30 W (waypoint 4). With constant drift during flight the a/c heading will:

a) increase by more than 10 degree
b) decrease by less than 10 degree
c) increase by less than 10 degree
d) remain constant

Answer: b (How less than 10 degree?)

My explanation: Departure=335.516 NM

ERW comes to -12.435 degrees/ hr

TW = GS /60 * tan lat

How to calculate GS ?

keith williams
8th Aug 2011, 14:51
With that extra paragraph it is clear that this is not a gyro question. It is a great circle question (INS systems fly great circles).

It is asking for the amount by which the great circle track changes from A to B.

If you have not done these before I suggest you read up on Great Cricles and Conversion Angles. Then have a go at it.

When you post yourmethod and answer we can comment on it.

wings of fire
8th Aug 2011, 17:32
This is what I can make sense of. Unable to think beyond it.

Conversion angle=0.5*dlong *sin mean lat
=0.5*10*sin56
=4.145 degree(or 4 degrees)

so, initial GC track at waypoint 3(or 20 W)=(270+4)= 274 degrees

Now drift = angular difference between track and heading

HDG= 270 degrees (therfore drift= 4 degrees SB)

Similarly GC track at waypoint 4 (or 30 W) = (270-4)= 266 degrees

Here drift = 4 degrees port (assuming hdg remains 270)

echo.mike.india
8th Aug 2011, 18:57
i think the answer has to be "B"..
the heading is decreasing by approx 8.6 degrees..

cause when u depart from way point 3 your hdg is 274.3..
when you arrive at way point 4 your heading is 265.6 ...
so with constant drift throughout the flight...your hdd is decreasing by less than 10 degrees....i.e. 8.6...

please correct me if i am wrong...

keith williams
8th Aug 2011, 20:38
Your method and answer are correct Wings of fire.

But your comment that

Now drift = angular difference between track and heading

Is true when discussing drift in the normal sense, but this question isn't really about drift. I think that the examiner put in the words "constant drift" just to eliminate any unwanted complications. It would probably have been better to have said "in nil wind conditions".

The difference between the Great Circle track and the Rhumb Line track isn't realy an example of drift. At the start of this leg when the heading is 274.145, the track will also be 274.145 (assuming nil wind). And at the end of the leg when the heading was 265.855 the track will also be 265.855. But the average track over the whole leg would have been 270.

wings of fire
9th Aug 2011, 16:16
Thank you keith. I appreciate your sincere efforts.

sonsal
12th Aug 2011, 16:52
ATPL on 19,20 and 21........all the best guys.....

guitarboy
16th Aug 2011, 06:45
guys! is there gonna be a list of admitted candidates any sooner?
or a VENUE to where to take the exam! Its already the 16th and 19th is the exam and no Venue and no admitted list and no nothing! OmG!

jasnitsingh
16th Aug 2011, 07:20
me too, waiting for the list and Venue! whats up with DGCA being so slow in declaring the listed candidates. Hardly any reaction time for those who dont make it in the list.

Well, Thats DGCA, Everything is fair in case of DGCA. The are the Brand-ambassadors of Laziness. :ugh:

wings of fire
16th Aug 2011, 08:19
Hello keith. Can u solve this question. Again from radio aids oxford book- vor chapter.

Q4)what is the theoretical maximum range that an aircraft at FL 420 will obtain from a vor beacon situated at 400 feet above msl?
a) 225 nm
b) 256 nm
c) 281 nm
d) 257 nm

answer is a) 225 NM

My explanation:

Range = 1.25*(Root of ht + root of hr)

=1.25*(root of 400 + root of 42000)

= 281 NM

keith williams
16th Aug 2011, 10:20
Your soluton is correct.

The author appears to have forgotten to multiply by 1.25.

This kind of problem would be avoided if the book included worked solutions for each question, but this obviously involves more work for the author.

golfpapa
16th Aug 2011, 15:35
do all of you who applied,have your name in the admitted candidates list?

i dont understand, my form , draft were as per guidelines but still i didnt get my roll no.:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

and they are saying

Application of those candidates whose name does not appear in the
above list has been rejected either due to incomplete application/not enclosing
the required documents/wrong demand draft. CEO shall entertain no
communication from the candidates, whose applications have been rejected.

What to do now????:confused::confused:

guitarboy
16th Aug 2011, 16:33
So the three venues of Delhi are!

JASOLA, DWARKA & ROHINI! Looks like DGCA is on a Pilots DILLI DARSHAN Mission!

No idea why such absurd locations were chosen! All three are in Different corners of the City!

One Centralized Location with different Timings for Exams over 3-4 days could have been done! Would have been easier for people not familiar with the City coming from outside!

On top of that they post the list of names just 2 days before the exam!
Don't want to entertain any issues of names they haven't put in the list!

Dictatorship General of Civil Aviation, India! :ugh: :ouch:

Next punch would be watching the systems crash!

uday
16th Aug 2011, 16:48
same here buddy...the clowns havent even posted the rejection list so one doesnt even know what went wrong :mad:

Sweptair
17th Aug 2011, 04:38
Does anybody have a idea that do we have to go for stamping from DGCA official as in CPL exam or just a print out of roll no. will work..

Please Revert

azax
17th Aug 2011, 11:30
The great circle track X - Y measured at x is 319°, and Y 325° Consider the following statements:
a Southern hemisphere, Rhumb line track is 322°
b Northern hemisphere, Rhumb line track is 313°
c Southern hemisphere, Rhumb line track is 331°
d Northern hemisphere, Rhumb line track is 322°

A great circle track joins position A (59°S 141°W) and B (61°S 148°W). What is the difference between the great circle track at A and B?
a It increases by 6°
b It decreases by 6°
c It increases by 3°
d It decreases by 3°

Thanks

CAT3_DUAL
17th Aug 2011, 11:46
The great circle track X - Y measured at x is 319°, and Y 325° Consider the following statements:

A great circle track joins position A (59°S 141°W) and B (61°S 148°W). What is the difference between the great circle track at A and B?
a It increases by 6°
b It decreases by 6°
c It increases by 3°
d It decreases by 3°

b It decreases by 6°

Damn i still remember :D:D

All the best guys for your ATPL:ok::ok:

azax
17th Aug 2011, 12:29
The first ones right.

But the second ans. is given as Increase by 6

keith williams
17th Aug 2011, 15:27
When taking the exam the most important thing is to select the correct answer.

When preparing to take the exam the most important thing is to learn the correct method.

The important thing to remember here is because both the rhumb line and the great circle join the two points, the rhumb line track is the average of the great circle track at the two points. So in this question we just need to add the two together and divide by two to get (319 + 325) / 2 = 322.

Great circles are always convex to the nearest pole.

We have a great circle that is changing from 319 to 325, so we must be in the southern hemisphere. Sketch the situation if have difficulty visualising it.

a It increases by 6°
b It decreases by 6°
c It increases by 3°
d It decreases by 3°

For this one we need to use the conversion angle formula

The conversion angle is the difference between the great circle and the rhumb line.

Conversion angle = 1/2 x Sin mean latitude x difference in longitude.

In this case we have

Mean latitude = (59S + 61S) / 2 = 60S.

So Conversion angle = 1/2 x Sin60S x ( 148W - 141W)

If we use the conventions that

Latitudes North are positive
Latitudes South are negative
Differences in longitude to the West are positive
Differences in longitude East are negative

We get

Conversion angle = 1/2 x Sin -60 x 7W = -3.03 degrees.

The conversion angle is the difference between the great circle and the rhumb line so at position A the great heading is 3.03 degrees less than the rhumb line.

But the great circle and the rhumb line meet at positioon B so the great circle heading must gradually increase until it becomes 3.03 degrees greater than the rhumb line.

Starting 3.03 less and ending up 3.03 more, the great circle must have increased by 6.06 degrees.

If the use of plus and minus values is too confusing, then simply sketch the situation.

Great circles are always convex to the nearest pole.

We are in the southern hemisphere so the great circle initialy heads south of the starting point then gradually curves to the north until it reaches the second position. We are going west so this curving must represent a gradual increase in heading.

So the answer to this question is increasing by 6.06 degrees.

azax
17th Aug 2011, 16:14
Thank you sir.

Truly genius. :D:D:D

Please also could you clarify.

On a Direct Mercator chart at latitude of 45°N, a certain length represents a distance of 90 NM on the earth. The same length on the chart will represent on the earth, at latitude 30°N, a distance of :
a 45 NM
b 73.5 NM
c 78 NM
d 110 NM

&

The standard parallels of a Lambert's conical orthomorphic projection are 07°40'N and 38°20' N. The constant of the cone for this chart is:
a 0.60
b 0.39
c 0.92
d 0.42

echo.mike.india
17th Aug 2011, 17:23
@azax
Dude seriously .. I would suggest put some effort..and you will get it...

Good luck to all appearing for ATPL

azax
18th Aug 2011, 08:48
@ i did get the 1st one later..
cos30/cos45 * 90 nm = 110.2 nm

but i have no clue of 'constant of cone'
if you do know..you might as well post the solution

keith williams
18th Aug 2011, 08:51
AZAX,

Instead of simply giving you the solutions, I have provided two very similar questions and worked solutions below.

Please go through these and then try to answer your two questions.

SCALE 6.
On a direct Mercator projection, at latitude 45° North, a certain length represents 70 NM. At latitude 30° North, the same length represents approximately?

a. 86 nm.
b. 75 nm.
c. 45 nm.
d. 90 nm.

This type of problem can be solved using the standard equation:

Distance at A / Distance at B = Cos A / Cos B

This can be rearranged to give:

Distance at B = (Distance at A x Cos B) / Cos A

Where A and B are latitudes.

For this question use A = 45 N, and Distance at A = 70 nm
And B = 30 N, and distance at B is to be calculated

Inserting these values into the equation gives:

Distance at B = (70 nm x Cos 30) / Cos 45 = 85.73 nm or approximately 86 nm (option a).

CHART THEORY 8.
What is the constant of the cone for a Lambert's Conic projection whose standard parallels are at 50 degrees North and 70 degrees North?

a. 0.866.
b. 0.500.
c. 0.941.
d. 0.766.

The constant of the cone is equal to the sine of the parallel of origin.

The parallel of origin is midway between the two standard parallels.

So in this question

Parallel of origin = (50 + 70) / 2 = 60N

Constant of the cone = sine of 60 = 0.866 (option a).

PP351
18th Aug 2011, 11:41
Guys there's a question i need your help to get this.

Coriolis force acts perpendicular to the _______ of the wind direction in N hemisphere.

(a) Left (b) Right

Thanks

guitarboy
19th Aug 2011, 09:23
ATPL EXAM : AIR NAVIGATION! CANCELLED MIDWAY IN DELHI :)

HAIL DGCA!!! :ugh:

CAT3_DUAL
19th Aug 2011, 09:27
DGCA has a question bank from now on
(each question having an ID number)

so if you guys can post the questions it will be helpfull to us

thanks.

cyrilroy21
19th Aug 2011, 10:13
Cancelled also in Chennai...

Challenger05
19th Aug 2011, 11:34
Cancelled???

System crashed or paper leaked? :rolleyes:

And was this only with Nav or even with ATLCG??

Also do we still have to wait 2 months for the results to come out?? ;)

cyrilroy21
19th Aug 2011, 11:53
Hey guys

Taken from the professional pilot training thread

Here is a link to the EASA (aka JAA ) ATPL (A) syllabus .

The DGCA also copies its questions from the EASA syllabus

SO here you go

EASAbank.eu, the free QCB v.15 for european airplane pilots (http://www.easabank.eu/)

Aviator09
19th Aug 2011, 14:26
cyrilroy21

Thanks for the link.! Appreciated.
Goodluck to you too for the coming examination.

guitarboy
19th Aug 2011, 14:42
See now this is when it gets stupid!
When you dont know whats happening! Thats because now that NAV got cancelled, theres no idea about whats going to happen to the next exam aka MeT and RadAids.

Are they cancelled too?

First they delay it by a month and now Crashes like such! Where do i run and hide?!

PP351
19th Aug 2011, 14:55
who says it got cancelled!!! Delhi venue 1 had an exam today for gen nav though there was a bit off delay in between but sorted out in the end. but don't know about the other Delhi venue's.

vivekh
19th Aug 2011, 19:17
Had the exam in Mumbai at 1500hrs. All done smoothly. Few stations crashed or the internet was down, but they were back online in no time. This must be a localized issue with the Delhi center.

Any idea when the results will be declared? It's an online exam, they should ideally give you your result as soon as you terminate the exam!!

Also, does anyone know what the validity of these ATPL exams is? Is it 2.5 years or 5 years?

pilot2612
19th Aug 2011, 20:10
there was a delay of 15 mins in Mumbai BUT the time wasn't reduced or cut. so all in all we got the full 3 hours.
also the paper was decently set.. not tht i studied or anything! haha... but the stuff asked wasnt from Mars...
heard ppl mention Keith Williams was where the questions had come... wish id done tht...
anyways did the paper actually get cancelled in Delhi and Chennai??

any clue about Radio Aids guys???/

cheers...

CAT3_DUAL
20th Aug 2011, 05:19
@ Vivek Hegde

Exam validity is 2 years without orals
and 5 years for both written+orals

cyrilroy21
20th Aug 2011, 05:38
Again taken from the professional pilot training thread

This website will let you practice any topics from the JAA ATPL exams
The question bank is similar to that of the previous question bank which i had given a few posts above

It shows the questions either as flash cards or as multiple choice questions

Very good for applying your knowledge

Please report back here if you see any of these questions for your DGCA exams

Aviation Training (http://www.turbineturbine.com/)

guitarboy
20th Aug 2011, 08:32
on 19th @Venue 3 in Delhi.

During the last half of the Nav paper, the invigilators came in and said, "We have got a message from DGCA and they say that you can leave the hall and your computers as it is"

so when some asked, is it cancelled?

they say we don't know but they say you can leave the hall.

Many students couldn't log in the system at all for the entire 2.5 hours until this message was broadcast'ed.

They finally said, they will let you know about this through their website aka DGCA website.

So this is what happened! I guess its normal everywhere else so well, back to studying!

flight517
20th Aug 2011, 11:42
The meteorology exam (morning session) started late(at around 1130) but there were no glitches after it began.
The afternoon session met exam went smoothly till the first 45mins(cannot comment for the whole duration because i left early)

blackknight999
21st Aug 2011, 15:35
the exams went on pretty ok...didnt c anyone getting any major troubles...except the system would just log out without any reason..!!!

flyme01
22nd Aug 2011, 13:27
can anyone please give me atpl question bank..i will b very thankful..

capt sam
22nd Aug 2011, 14:58
70 % questions were from oxford ATPL books...even the options were same:D....all the best for next exam...:ok:

capt.ameen
22nd Aug 2011, 20:14
Were the questions strictly as per the new syllabus?

capt sam
23rd Aug 2011, 02:30
yes questions were as per new syllabus...in numerical no complicated calculations at all....simply apply the formula and you are done...and for theory questions just the basic concepts.....

am-rj-tbt
23rd Aug 2011, 04:51
I need the atpl question bank too . Does anyone have it ?

pilot2612
24th Aug 2011, 12:57
guys..
there is a re-examination for NAV.
read this:
Candidates who were marked present but could not successfully complete their
examination due to disruption occurred for various technical reasons while appearing for
Air Navigation and Navigation Composite paper on 19
th
August, 2011 (morning and
afternoon batch) are required to appear for re-examination. The list of those candidates
who are required to appear for re-examination along with the date, venue and time of reexamination shall be published on DGCA website shortly. However, those candidates,
who have secured minimum required marks, shall not be called for re-examination.

DOUBT: IS ANYONE WHO HAS NOT CLEARED NAV ELIGIBLE FOR RE-EXAM????

also: let us all put up the NAV questions that we remember had come this time.....

to start with.. there were 3-4 questions on the convergency
about 3-4 on scale
and about one (1) each on DCP/TCP DNPR/TPNR

please add more...

tc

harsh786techy
24th Aug 2011, 13:22
Hello folks

My application was rejected for ATPL exam and now it has appeared in the rejected list of candidates stating "No supporting documents".

With the application, supporting documents attached by me was only a copy of my CPL. I presume they needed the copy of Logbook also.

Is there anything else i am supposed to attach next time when i apply for exam?

Thanks

guitarboy
24th Aug 2011, 15:13
dude.

CPL with Multi Engine PhotoCopy Attested
(First page and the M.E. Endorsement Page)

Draft @ PAO, DGCA, MCA, New Delhi

That's it. Logbook copies not required.

harsh786techy
24th Aug 2011, 17:34
Thanks

I think I did not attach the multi engine endorsement page.. my Bad..

capt.ameen
24th Aug 2011, 18:03
What about the results? Did you guys get it? Or as usual the "two months" period is applicable???

mach5
26th Aug 2011, 12:12
Can any tell me what kind of questions are been asked in DGCA ATPL orals in Navigation and Radio&Instruments , I got some information that in case of Nav they ask about Jeppesen charts etc . If you can please share the questions with us
Thank You

aviator_0088
27th Aug 2011, 16:32
The list of candidates for the re-examination for Air Navigation has been published on DGCA's site. The exam is scheduled for 3rd Sept. Gud luck to all those writing the exam.

echo.mike.india
28th Aug 2011, 11:57
"what is swept gain in terms of airborne weather radar?"

Heard that this question was asked twice in the same paper of radio aids atpl

cyrilroy21
28th Aug 2011, 12:27
Q " What does swept gain mean in an AWR "

1. Transmission power increases as range increases

2.The returns are stronger at large angles from the aircraft heading

3. Transmission power increases as the cosecant2 of the angle from horizontal

4. The receiver increases sensitivity with time

Correct answer is 4) The receiver increases sensitivity with time

Taken from GSP Radio Aids :ok:

mike_sierra
1st Sep 2011, 08:25
'During the climb after take-off, the altimeter setting is adjusted at the transition altitude. If the local QNH is 1023 hPa, what will happen to the altimeter reading during the resetting procedure ? '

a) It will decrease
b) It will increase
c) It will remain the same
d) It is not possible to give a definitive answer

??

hinitin123
1st Sep 2011, 09:13
The answer for the above q. is
IT WILL DECREASE.:ok:

keith williams
1st Sep 2011, 09:19
If you think about how the altimeter works and how pressure varies with altitude, this type of question is not at all difficult.

The altimeter indicates the height of the aircraft above whatever pressure level is set on the subscale.

With 1023 set it indicates height relative to the 1023 level.

With 1013 set it indiactes height above the 1013 level.

Pressure decreases with increasing altitude so the 1013 level is above the 1023 level.

So when adjusting from 1023 to 1013 we are adjusting it to read relative to a higher level.

So the indication will decrease.

flyme01
1st Sep 2011, 12:26
can anyone please tell me any good ground instructor for atpl in delhi..can anyone please guide me some good books for atpl and also question bank..please i need your hep guys..please help me..

mike_sierra
1st Sep 2011, 17:39
Thanks keith :ok:

matthewgamm
4th Sep 2011, 11:54
@cyril, are all the answers on the Aviation Training site accurate? KW has (some of their Qs) different answers for similarly worded questions with the same choices.

cyrilroy21
4th Sep 2011, 12:12
I cant vouch for the accuracy of the answers on the site .

I believe a few errors have crept in here and there . You can contact the website founders and discuss any questions you have with them .
They reply back quickly

On another note I believe Keith Williams question banks also have some errors in it . I remember him mentioning it earlier somewhere on the forum

keith williams
4th Sep 2011, 12:38
I doubt if any question bank is entirely free of errors.

It is also the case that some apparently identical questions are in fact slightly different and have different answers. Recent additions to the JAA question bank have included a lot of questions of this type. In many cases you are given two statements and must decide whether each is correct or incorrect. Unless you read these questions very carefully you will probably pick the wrong answer. As an exampe of this there are something like 20 to 30 questions on how pressure and velocity vary in a venturi.

The most important thing to look for in a good question bank is detailed explanations. This will enable users to develop a proper understanding of the subject material, and will also enable them to make a rational judgement about whether or not an answer is correct. But most importantly, by developing a real understanding of the subjects, it will enable exam takers to deal with questions that they have never seen before.

The majority of the questions that are posted on this forum are from people who want to know how to solve problems. Question banks that provide the question and answer, but no explanation are of no help whatsoever in this regard.

matthewgamm
4th Sep 2011, 16:36
1. Among the foll. functions of an autopilot, those related to the airplane stabilization are?
1. Pitch attitude holding
2. Horizontal wing holding
3. Displayed heading or inertial track holding
4. Indicated airspeed or Mach number holding
5. Yam damping
6. VOR axis holding

KW answer: 1,2,5.
AT site answer: 1,2

2. In automatic landing mode, when the two autopilots are used, the system is considered?
1. "Fail Survival" or without failure effect with function always ensured.
2. "Fail Passive" or without failure effect but with disconnection

KW answer: 2
AT site answer: 1

I'll post more as and when I come across them.

Thanks

keith williams
4th Sep 2011, 19:39
1. Among the foll. functions of an autopilot, those related to the airplane stabilization are?
1. Pitch attitude holding
2. Horizontal wing holding
3. Displayed heading or inertial track holding
4. Indicated airspeed or Mach number holding
5. Yam damping
6. VOR axis holding

KW answer: 1,2,5.
AT site answer: 1,2

Are you sure that you are comparing identical questions?

The closest that I can find to the one you describe is question number 578 in the AUTOFLIGHT section of INSTRUMENTS in my CD. In this question each of the options has at least 3 statements listed as being correct and some of them have 4. It is not possible to select 1,2 in this question.

2. In automatic landing mode, when the two autopilots are used, the system is considered?
1. "Fail Survival" or without failure effect with function always ensured.
2. "Fail Passive" or without failure effect but with disconnection

KW answer: 2
AT site answer: 1

If you have studied a recognised set of ATPL course manuals you should have no problem in identifying the correct answer to this question. If you have not done so then a GOOGLE search for AUTOLAND or AUTOMATIC LANDING SYSTEMS may help.

The term "FAIL SURVIVAL" is not a recognised autoland system failure mode.

I have listed the recognised modes and their meanings in the explanation to this question in my CD.

matthewgamm
5th Sep 2011, 15:52
@Keith, thanks for the explanation.
However, I did look up the term "Fail Survival" on google, and it stated that it is the same as "Fail Operational", which is why I was unclear on what the correct choice of answer is, for that particular question.

Some more:

1. At sea level, on a typical servo altimeter, the tolerance in feet from indicated must not exceed:
a. +/-60 feet
b. +/-30 feet
KW answer: b
AT answer: a

2. The altitude indicated on board an aircraft flying in an atmosphere where all the atmospheric layers below the aircraft are warm is?
a. Higher than the real altitude
b. Lower than the real altitude.

Both, KW and the AT site mark (a) as the answer; however, in a similarly worded question, only difference being in the end, instead of "below the aircraft are warm", this question reads "...below the aircraft are cold", and KW still marks the answer as "Higher than the real altitude".

What are the correct answers for them both?

3. With a constant weight, irrespective of the airfield altitude, an aircraft always takes off at the same?
a. EAS
b. CAS
c. TAS
d. GS
The site marks (b) as the answer.

Another similarly worded question on the site:
With constant weight and configuration, an aircraft always takes off at the same?
a. EAS
b. TAS
c. IAS
d. GS
Here, the site marks (a) as the answer.

4. The altimeter is supplied with?
a. Static pressure
b. Dynamic pressure
Answer marked is (a)
Given:
Pt = Total pressure
Ps = Static pressure
Pd = Dynamic pressure
The altimeter is fed by:
a. Pt - Pd
b. Pd
c. Pd - Ps
d. Ps - Pt
Answer marked is (b)

5. Given:
Ts is the static temperature (SAT)
Tt is the total temperature (TAT)
M is the Mach number
The total temperature can be expressed approximately by the formula:
a. Tt = Ts(1+0.2KrM2)
b. Tt = Ts(1+0.2M2)

KW answer: (a)
AT site answer: (b)

6. Following 180° stabilized turn with a constant attitude and bank, the artificial horizon indicates?
a. Too high pitch up and correct banking
b. Too high pitch up and too low banking

My answer: (a)

7. A turn indicator is built around a gyroscope with?
a. 1 degree of freedom
b. 2 degrees of freedom

keith williams
6th Sep 2011, 06:30
I have carried out a search of my CD and have found the following:

1. At sea level, on a typical servo altimeter, the tolerance in feet from indicated must not exceed:
a. +/-60 feet
b. +/-30 feet
KW answer: b
AT answer: a

The correct answer to this question is +- 30 feet as stated in my CD. Older mechanical altimeters achieved something like +/- 60 feet.

2. The altitude indicated on board an aircraft flying in an atmosphere where all the atmospheric layers below the aircraft are warm is?
a. Higher than the real altitude
b. Lower than the real altitude.

Both, KW and the AT site mark (a) as the answer; however, in a similarly worded question, only difference being in the end, instead of "below the aircraft are warm", this question reads "...below the aircraft are cold", and KW still marks the answer as "Higher than the real altitude".

What are the correct answers for them both?

In the ALTITUDE section of the INSTRUMENTS questions I found the following:

Questions 71, and 91 refer to air that is warmer than standard. In both cases the answers state the the altimiter indication will be too low. These are the correct answers.

Questions 70, 92 and 100 refer to air that is colder than satnadrd. In both cases the answers state that the altimeter indication will be too high. These are the correct answers.

5. Given:
Ts is the static temperature (SAT)
Tt is the total temperature (TAT)
M is the Mach number
The total temperature can be expressed approximately by the formula:
a. Tt = Ts(1+0.2KrM2)
b. Tt = Ts(1+0.2M2)

KW answer: (a)

In the TEMPERATURE section of INSTRUMENTS question 892 asks for the correct equation. This (like all of the other questions in my CD) is a real JAA CQB question. None of the options include Kr. When taking the exam you can only pick from the options listed. Because none of them included Kr it is not possible inlcude this in your answer. The answer given in my Cd is the most correct of those offered in the question.

In reallity the correct equation is Tt = TS(1 + 0.2KrM squared) where KR is the Ram Recovery Factor for the total air temperature probe. For a modern Rosemount Probe Kr is 1 and this is why it is often omitted from the equation. This is probably why the author of the question omitted it.

Following 180° stabilized turn with a constant attitude and bank, the artificial horizon indicates?
a. Too high pitch up and correct banking
b. Too high pitch up and too low banking

In the GYROS section of INSTRUMENTS question 301 indicates that the correct answer to this question is "Too high pitch up and too low bank angle". This is the correct answer.

Your comments appear to have misquotedmy CD on a number of occasions. This may be related to the fact that you are using option letters to indicate the answers. Each time you select a question in my CD the program reshuffles the options. This means that the correct option letter is different every time. But the correct answer is indicated each time.

If the above comments have not clarrified the situation sufficiently please indicate the numbers of the questions to which you refer. I can then look at them again.

I have not commented on the AT website answers because I have not looked at it in any detail. Having looked at it very briefly I observed that it does not provide any explanations. Because of this I immediately lost interest in it.

matthewgamm
6th Sep 2011, 08:59
In the TEMPERATURE section of INSTRUMENTS question 892 asks for the correct equation. This (like all of the other questions in my CD) is a real JAA CQB question. None of the options include Kr. When taking the exam you can only pick from the options listed. Because none of them included Kr it is not possible inlcude this in your answer. The answer given in my Cd is the most correct of those offered in the question.

In reallity the correct equation is Tt = TS(1 + 0.2KrM squared) where KR is the Ram Recovery Factor for the total air temperature probe. For a modern Rosemount Probe Kr is 1 and this is why it is often omitted from the equation. This is probably why the author of the question omitted it.So, if there were these two choices, what should be the correct answer - one that has Kr in it, or the one without?

Keith, I don't have any of your CDs; I do, however, have your "Instruments" book, but the 2005 revision.

If you have access to that book, have a look at page 51, Qs 4 and Q7. The answer to Q7 is incorrect; the correct answer (according to you, and which is correct) is (d).

In the GYROS section of INSTRUMENTS question 301 indicates that the correct answer to this question is "Too high pitch up and too low bank angle". This is the correct answer.Have a look at page 123, Q12.
The answer marked (and I agree, that it is correct) is (c). How then, is the answer to the question posted "Too high pitch up and too low bank"?

Your Instruments book doesn't seem to cover topics such as VOR, DME, ADF, Radar, ILS, etc. Do your other books cover these?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to the questions posted. I appreciate it.

keith williams
6th Sep 2011, 09:46
So, if there were these two choices, what should be the correct answer - one that has Kr in it, or the one without?

The correct equation includes Kr so if the options include Tt = Ts(1 +0.2 KrMsquared) you should select it. But if none of the options include KR then you should select Tt = Ts(1 + 0.2Msquared).

Keith, I don't have any of your CDs; I do, however, have your "Instruments" book, but the 2005 revision.

OK now we can understand each other.

If you have access to that book, have a look at page 51, Qs 4 and Q7. The answer to Q7 is incorrect; the correct answer (according to you, and which is correct) is (d).

Q4 is about cold air and the correct option is option d which is, "Higher than the real altitude".

Q7 is about warmer air and the correct option is option d which is, "Lower than the real altitude".

They are both correct and there is no contradiction. Are you perhaps being thrown by the fact that both correct answers are option d?

In the GYROS section of INSTRUMENTS question 301 indicates that the correct answer to this question is "Too high pitch up and too low bank angle". This is the correct answer.
Have a look at page 123, Q12.
The answer marked (and I agree, that it is correct) is (c). How then, is the answer to the question posted "Too high pitch up and too low bank"?

Sorry I have misquoted my own Cd in my previous post. Both Q12 in the book and Q301 in the CD give the same answer which is, Too high pitch and bank angle correct". Both the book and the CD are correct.

Your Instruments book doesn't seem to cover topics such as VOR, DME, ADF, Radar, ILS, etc. Do your other books cover these?

My books were written for the JAA exams but then the DGCA started to take a large number of questions from them for their own exams. In the JAA system Radio Navigation and Instruments are two separate examinations. The subjects that you have listed are in Radio Navigation in the JAA system. I have not yet written a book for Radio Navigation but my CD covers all of 14 fixed wing subjects plus Helicopter POF.

matthewgamm
6th Sep 2011, 10:57
1. What is an autopilot system with two autopilots called - "Fail Passive" or "Fail Survival"?

2. If one autopilot is used for climbing, cruising and approach, the system is considered?
a. "Fail Soft"
or
b. "Fail Safe"

The altimeter is supplied with?
a. Static pressure
b. Dynamic pressure
Answer marked is (a)
Given:
Pt = Total pressure
Ps = Static pressure
Pd = Dynamic pressure
The altimeter is fed by:
a. Pt - Pd
b. Pd
c. Pd - Ps
d. Ps - Pt
Answer marked is (b)

With a constant weight, irrespective of the airfield altitude, an aircraft always takes off at the same?
a. EAS
b. CAS
c. TAS
d. GS
The site marks (b) as the answer.

With constant weight and configuration, an aircraft always takes off at the same?
a. EAS
b. TAS
c. IAS
d. GS
Here, the site marks (a) as the answer.

5. Today's airspeed indicators (calibrated to the Saint-Venant formula) indicate in the absence of static (and instrumental) error?
a. TAS
b. the conventional airspeed (CAS) in all cases
c. The airspeed, whatever the altitude
d. The EAS, in all cases.

The AT site marks (b) as the answer. Is this correct?

6. If an aircraft maintaining a constant CAS and flight level is flying from a cold air mass into warmer air:
a. TAS increases
b. TAS decreases
c. Mach number increases
d. Mach number decreases
Answer marked is (a)

Similarly, if an aircraft maintaining a constant CAS and flight level is flying from a warm air mass into colder air:
The choices are the same, and the answer marked is (b).

Is this correct?

7. A turn indicator is built around a gyroscope with?
a. 1 degree of freedom
b. 2 degrees of freedom

Answer marked is (b).

Thanks again, Keith. I will post more questions, if I find discrepancies in some answers.

Cheers! :)

keith williams
6th Sep 2011, 14:28
It is not clear whether any of these questions are from my book.

As I have said previously I cannot comment on the AT website.

I am quite happy to respond to any observations concerning my book, but it is not possible for me to trawl through all of your questions to identify those to which I chould respond.

Capt.Morrgan
16th Sep 2011, 14:49
Looks like the list of candidates who passed the July atpl session is out on dgca website. Good luck y'all

AVIATROZ
16th Sep 2011, 17:17
can someone please guide regarding what books should i refer to study for radio aids and instruments exam{ATPL}....

thanks

AVIATROZ
16th Sep 2011, 17:57
friends ,please advice when is the next attempt going to be conducted by dgca...........and when can i apply for it.............
also please clear one of my doubt............as there are 3 paper....met,nav and radio aids right!............if i want to appear in only radio aids first.........then the oral part would be ,my after clearing all the 3 exams or just after clearing one of the exam only...........i.e. in my case radio aids exam only
thanks

echo.mike.india
16th Sep 2011, 18:59
@aviatorz

Until now only 3 papers to clear
1. General navigation
2. Radio aids & Instruments
3. Met

Oral exam is only for nav and radio. no orals for met

you have to secure 70% marks in both oral and written not combined.
90 marks for written and 10 marks for orals..total 100
min passing marks in 63 for written and 7 for orals..

you have to get these minimum marks to pass in the subject .

after you give written exam for all three
after few days (about a month even though its online now) they will declare who all has got minimum 63 in written and put up a list of all those who can appear for the oral.

after orals are over you will get your final result which is declared with the cpl results.
they will give you your written marks and oral marks.
if you manage to get the minimum required to pass i.e. 70% in both of them separately, then only you clear the paper.

AVIATROZ
17th Sep 2011, 02:43
@echo.mike.india

what if i don`t give all 3 exam once...........actually i intend to clear them one by one..........may be radio aids or met first time and then on monthly basis one by one each exam.............................and if i give radio exam first i`ll appear in the radio aids oral exam first and then nav written followed by its oral.................can i appear in the DGCA ATPL exam in this way.................please suggest....the books for the exam as well

thanks

echo.mike.india
17th Sep 2011, 05:30
you can appear for all three papers separately also
if you clear written you will get 3 attempts to clear orals
if you still not clear orals you will have to give written again.

i would recommend you to give nav and radio together ..cause if you clear both written in one go..then only one (combined) interview is held for both of them.
its more easy to clear both the papers in one go this way.

study oxford and KW questions. and gsp
do all the back questions of oxford and gsp...

these questions banks will help you clear your written...
but your basic knowledge will be tested in the orals...

good luck

AVIATROZ
17th Sep 2011, 06:24
Q1. you intend to overfly a mountain ridge at an altitude of 15000ft AMsL.The average air temp i s 15degree lover than IsA.the sealevel pressure 1003Hpa.which altimeter indication is needed?

Ans--16170ft...............please explain hw to solve this problem
thanks

please some one guide in solving this problem

Q2.An OAT of -55degree at the 200Hpa pressure level:
A)+/-5degree IsA.
B) is low...............
{acc. to me ans should be +10degree IsA DEVIATION}
please advice regarding this problem

Aviator09
18th Sep 2011, 13:18
Anybody here has got a clue about Radio-Aids & Instruments ATPL oral? Any kind of inputs will be helpful.

pilot2612
19th Sep 2011, 10:20
guys...
please help!!!! got no clue what to study for ATPL ORALS (NAV & RADIO AIDS)

heard about Jepp charts @aviator09

please people!! inputs please!!

Mumbai center btw..

wings of fire
20th Sep 2011, 10:27
Jeppesen enroute charts will be asked to Gen Navigation candidates only, Not to radio aids candidates

kapoor.varun
20th Sep 2011, 10:41
heard the next atpl attempt is in 3 week of october.... anyone know when is the right time to send out the form and DD to DGCA..... i think they call for applications but its been a while since i wrote my CPL papers and cant remember.....

thanks in advance

capt.ameen
20th Sep 2011, 12:42
Next ATPL exam may be in November.:ouch: not in october anyway as they haven't declared the results for the July session.:ugh::ugh::ugh:. Results are expected in the first week of October and you can send your application once the results are out.

Aviator09
20th Sep 2011, 14:14
@wings of fire
Check your pm.

CaptGalaxy
21st Sep 2011, 10:00
Hi Folks, i was going through the Oxford ATPL, Principles of flight and found a few statements which, i cant seem to understand. I feel they contradict each other so please advice if i'm reading it wrong.

1. Chapter- Drag > Parasite drag> skin friction
"Because of the adverse pressure gradient existing on a curved surface, the transition point will be further forward than if the surface was flat"

2. Chapter- High Lift Devices> Leading Edge Flaps
"On high speed aerofoil sections the leading edge may have very little camber and have a small radius. This can give flow separation just aft the leading edge at quite low angles of attack"

Now which of the above is right and is there something i'm missing in the above concepts?

Also - i dont seem to see the definition for Form drag : "Because of separation there will be a lower pressure at the trailing edge than the leading edge. An aerodynamic force will act in the direction of the lower pressure - form drag"
How would this be a drag if there is airflow from the leading to the trailing edge? wouldnt this infact contribute to the thrust for the aerofoil?
I understand the concept of adverse pressure gradient but the above reason has been quoted as a separate factor.

thanks in advance.

cheers,
P

pilot2612
21st Sep 2011, 16:18
thanks WINGSOFFIRE...
i have to give NAV & RAD AIDS both together!!!!
what should i expect????

also...CAN THEY PASS ME IN 1 AND FAIL ME IN ANOTHER????

help appreciated

wings of fire
21st Sep 2011, 17:55
If u r giving both your orals together, they will either pass you on both the subjects or they will fail you on both. Never heard if they just pass on one if u r giving both the orals together. That's from my experience. Any ways do inform us how your oral goes.
For General Navigation - you should have mastery over maps and charts.

wings of fire
21st Sep 2011, 18:13
Thrust acts in the forward direction. Drag acts in backward direction.

Form drag: Because of the adverse presuure gradient behind the transition point, there is decrease in kinetic energy of lower levels of boundary layer.Whereas the upper level of boundary layer overrun at this point(called seperation point). Because of seperation, Pressure at trailing edge < Pressure at leading edge. This force acting backward is form drag.

Thrust is a force and force=ma. In case of form drag, kinetic energy of lower boundary layer decreases. so acceleration is reduced and therfore thrust gets reduced.

wings of fire
21st Sep 2011, 18:52
Also see page 7-11. Your concepts will be much clear by reading stalling chapter thoroughly.

Generally sharper the nose , thinner the aerofoil section, the more sudden will be the stall.

Also there are 4 reasons of stall(or seperation)
1)leading edge radius
2)Camber
3)Thickness to chord ratio
4)Chordwise location of maximum thickness and max camber

Transition pt. is the point where airflow changes from laminar to turbulent.

As AOA increases, adverse pressure gradient increases and transition point will move forward.

Statement: 2. Chapter- High Lift Devices> Leading Edge Flaps
"On high speed aerofoil sections the leading edge may have very little camber and have a small radius. This can give flow separation just aft the leading edge at quite low angles of attack"

High speed aerofoils can stall at low aoa (that means when their speed is high). Just imagine if leading edge flaps are not put in those aerofoils, then how will these a/c's slow speed and land at the airport(as they will require high AOA during landing.)

pilot2612
22nd Sep 2011, 07:02
thanks for the reply and the message... really appreciate it.
will post the questions i get...

im in charter flying these days... any difference in orals???

u think they would concentrate on my airplane????

thanks a lot again..

CaptGalaxy
24th Sep 2011, 15:14
Thanks for the attempt to clarify, but i do understand all the concepts you're explaining, my question however was completely different.

I meant to say that the first two statements i mentioned seem to contradict themselves because one says the transition point/separation point would be much further ahead since the aerofoil is not a flat surface (translating to flatter the aerofoil/ surface more aft the separation )
The second says the separation is just aft the leading edge because the surface has less curvature. This would imply if the aerofoil had more curvature, the separation would be much further aft (hence contradicting the first statement)

I do understand the thrust and drag definitions but when there's a force acting from the leading edge toward the trailing edge - how would that be a drag?

thanks again in advance.

cheers,
P

flyboyaviatior
25th Sep 2011, 17:24
hi
im giving my first ATPL exams in october session. And was wondering which ATPL subject contains principles of flight!
is it Nav, met or radioaids?
It might be a silly question but still i want to know because i never came across this topic in CPL Navigation.

13R
26th Sep 2011, 13:28
Hey Guys!

I am appearing for Radio Aids ATPL oral exam for the first time, So can you tell me what type of questions they ask in the oral.
Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!

amar anand
29th Sep 2011, 03:04
hi guys ..
if u r apeearing for nav orals in delhi then be preapared for the jeppssen charts ...rnav ...
for radio aids he might ask u gps ...adf ...ils ...radio altimeter .
all the best .:ok:

mike_sierra
30th Sep 2011, 10:12
I was asked this question in the orals..
The reference signal is 90deg, variable signal is 240deg. What is the phase difference ?
(please do not say it's 150deg)

I would appreciate if anyone presents a solution to this one..(it's using the graph).
I couldn't fgure it out in my Class 11 either :ugh:

golfpapa
30th Sep 2011, 10:59
i think the answer is 90 plus 180 minus 240 = 30deg.

always subtract variable signal from reference signal and anytime reference signal is smaller than variable add 180 to reference signal and then subtract.

I am not sure if this method is correct just an inference i hv drawn after seeing the correct answers to these type of numericals

AVIATROZ
30th Sep 2011, 11:52
Even i would like yo clear my doubt on this............as according to me it was 360 degree + 90 degree -{minus} 240degree=210 degree...........please correct me on this if i going for the wrong concept

thanks

golfpapa
30th Sep 2011, 12:54
OMG so sorry guyzzz
honest mistake there.....:eek:

Of course its 360 and not 180:=....i got a lil confused:ugh: considering its been long tym since i did these questions

thank you aviatroz :D

sorry again mike sierra :8

skybuster7
30th Sep 2011, 14:45
theres a way to remember doing this :

if phase_diff > +180 then
phase_diff = phase_diff-360

else if phase_diff <-180 then
phase_diff = phase_diff+360

else
phase_diff = phase_diff

in this phase_diff= ref - variable= 90-240= -150

-150 is less then -180

so phase diff= -150+360=210

mike_sierra
30th Sep 2011, 16:46
gracias fellas :ok:

matthewgamm
3rd Oct 2011, 14:58
1. At the second stage of integration, E/W speed is converted to E/W distance gone. To convert this departure into change of longitude, it has to be:
a. Multiplied by the Secant of the latitude
b. Divided by the tangent of the latitude

2. The amber ALERT light on an INS Control and display unit:
a. illuminates steadily for 2 minutes before reaching the next waypoint
b. start flashing 2 minutes before reaching the next waypoint and goes out at 30 secs to run.

sonsal
3rd Oct 2011, 16:09
@matthew
1- a
2-a

keith williams
3rd Oct 2011, 21:47
The answer to the first question can be derived from the Departure equation.

Departure = Change in longitude x cosine of latitude.

Dividing both sides by cosine of latitude gives

Departure / cosine of latitude = Change of longitude

The secant of an angle = 1/cosine, so dividing by the cosine is the same as multiplying by the secant.

So departure x secant of latitude = Change of longitude.

Deriving answers is this way will enable you to develop a far better understanding of the subjects.

AVIATROZ
6th Oct 2011, 03:58
Q1. A great circle has its North vertex at 70N130E, at what longitude and in what direction would the great circle cross the equator assuming:

a. Initial direction is east from the northern vertex{ans-140W 160{T}}

b. Initial direction is west frm northern vertex{ANs-040E200{T}}

Q2. Given that the compression value of the earth is 1/297 and that the semi major axis of the earth,measured at the axisof equator is 6378.4km,what is the semi major axis of the earth measured at the axis of the poles?
ans- 6356.9km

hinitin123
12th Oct 2011, 13:25
don't worry my friend they will soon upload it before this weekend ..:ok:

Capt.Morrgan
12th Oct 2011, 15:48
The final results for July session is out; dates for Oct session yet to be announced.
CM

abhimakam
12th Oct 2011, 17:51
Hello ppl,
A query. Can i apply for the Oct ATPL exams since, the results are out.
coz they havent announced the tentative dates for the next attempt...

matthewgamm
12th Oct 2011, 19:22
When fog freezes on a parked aircraft, it produces:
a. Rime ice
b. Hoar frost

blackknight999
13th Oct 2011, 07:42
what are the papers required for the DGCA ATPL??
are the technical papers also required??

keith williams
13th Oct 2011, 11:12
Q1. A great circle has its North vertex at 70N130E, at what longitude and in what direction would the great circle cross the equator assuming:

a. Initial direction is east from the northern vertex{ans-140W 160{T}}

b. Initial direction is west frm northern vertex{ANs-040E200{T}}

The centre of any great circle is at the centre of the Earth. This means that.

1. The vertices are at diametrically opposite latitudes. With one at 70N the other must be at 70S.

2. The vertices are at 180 degrees of longitude apart. With one at 130E the other must be at 050W.

3. The great circle crosses the Equator midway between the two vertices. With one vertex at 130E and the other at 050W the great circle crosses the equator at 040E. The second crossing point is 180 degrees of longitude away, which is at 140W.

The two vertices are at 70N and 70S, so a straight line (great circle) between the two crosses the Equator at an angle of 70 degrees (this is based on the definition of latitude).

This means that the great circle crosses the local meridians at the Equator at an angle of 20 degrees (which is 90 – 70 = 20).

This in turn means that the true tracks at the equator are 180 + 20 = 200 and 180 – 20 = 160.

If you do a simple sketch of the situation you should be able to see that the answers are as stated in your question.

Q2. Given that the compression value of the earth is 1/297 and that the semi major axis of the earth,measured at the axisof equator is 6378.4km,what is the semi major axis of the earth measured at the axis of the poles?
ans- 6356.9km

A compression of 1/297 means that the smaller axis is 296/297 of the larger axis.

So the answer is 6378.4 km x 296/297 = 6356.9 km.

Aviator09
19th Oct 2011, 12:32
Meteorology Query

At FL180, the air temperature is 35 degree C, The air density at this level is-

a.Equal to density of ISA at FL180.
b.Unable to determine without knowing the QNH
c.Greater than density of ISA at FL 180
d. Less than density of ISA at FL 180.

I'm looking for an explanation to the answer. Thanks.

superdunkaroos
20th Oct 2011, 06:44
Planning on giving the Met paper for ATPL this time, is IC joshi and oxford sufficient as course material?

mike_sierra
20th Oct 2011, 07:14
@superdunkaroos
Oxford is definitely enough for ATP exams..can't say of IC Joshi..because i referred to my CPL notes for it..
20-25 questions will be on Indian climatology..out of 50

mike_sierra
20th Oct 2011, 07:18
At FL180, the air temperature is 35 degree C, The air density at this level is-

The actual temp at FL180 is higher than standard. Hence, air will be less dense
d. Less than density of ISA at FL 180.

mike_sierra
21st Oct 2011, 08:09
I cleared ATPL Instr and Radio (written + orals) but I didn't clear Gen Nav orals. I have 3 shots at it..now does that mean i have to attempt them consecutively ? If not, how long are the ATP writtens valid till ?

Anyone here who can help me with this?

Aviator09
21st Oct 2011, 08:20
mike_sierra
The answer marked is (c)

I assumed the same reason as you. Not sure if the answer stated is wrong out there.!

And about the ATP papers, I haven't read it anywhere myself just a quote from friend says the attempts need not be consecutive and should be within 2 years of clearing written exams.

mike_sierra
21st Oct 2011, 14:19

Sperry CL2
22nd Oct 2011, 17:29
Hello guys, just a quick query regarding the atpl exams.My licence got approved which is put out on the link 'Status for Licence Issue Requests' of DGCA official site where it shows my CPL License no,FRTOL,IR,Multi engine and Single engine endorsement.Can i submit a copy of this to book atpl exams ??

Thanks in Advance:ok:
Cheers

smurf84
23rd Oct 2011, 02:37
sperry - I think they still require attested copies of your Indian CPL with multi-endorsement? I'm not sure by just giving out the details of your licence, you would be permitted to sit for the exam. Try collecting your licence from the DGCA within the next 10 days, get an attested copy and then submit it along with the ATPL exam application form.

Sperry CL2
23rd Oct 2011, 10:26
Thanks smurf84, i'l collect the Lic ..asap.
Any advise for the exams .. like which subject should i go first :O also i heard from people not to sit for Delhi center becoz when it comes to Oral exams thre's no way you will pass it := .

Thank you

wings of fire
24th Oct 2011, 15:47
Lot of negatives from people who can't clear their exams. Don't concentrate on negatives buddy, Have belief in yourself

smurf84
24th Oct 2011, 16:17
sperry - I haven't heard of anything like that before. If I haven't prepared well enough for Navigation or Radio Aids (as both of them have an oral examination), Meteorology would be the first exam on my list. Then I'll give it some time for the other two subjects. But it's your decision at the end of the day. Good luck bud !

Sperry CL2
25th Oct 2011, 05:29
Awesomeness Guys,thanks Wings for fire and smurf84:ok:

Any exceptional book to study for MET .. that can be a great help :)

Wish you guys very happy n safe Diwali
Peace **

smurf84
25th Oct 2011, 08:29
I can only think of Oxford ATPL and I.C.Joshi at the moment.

flyingcats
25th Oct 2011, 09:36
can anyone please guide me what type of questions are asked these days for Radio-aids written?
sample questions (if any) from previous exams would be appreciated
thanx

AviatorVette
26th Oct 2011, 09:11
http://dgca.gov.in/forms/crew-d/atpl_aR.pdf

hi guys is this the application form for atpl exam if not please link me to the exam application form, last date is 31st right? Whats the best way to send the forms to delhi by 31st? Speed post ? DHL shipping?

Aviator09
27th Oct 2011, 07:43
AviatorVette
DGCA has come up with this new website, www.udaan.nic.in. Read the guidelines mentioned on the site and follow the procedure to register a login id and password and then apply thru the procedure.

SuperflyTNT
27th Oct 2011, 09:13
What are the documents we have to send along with our application form ?

superdunkaroos
27th Oct 2011, 12:50
^^ your Application+DD+Photo+Attested copy of CPL

Quick question: Now the instruction on the website says that the hard copy of the application should follow the online application within 10 days, whereas the mail that I got and in my account on Udaan it says 15.
Which one is it? :8

Aviator09
27th Oct 2011, 16:17
superdunkaroos
As long as the hard copy of documents reaches DGCA before the last date i.e. 31st October, It doesn't matter 10 days or 15 days.

superdunkaroos
27th Oct 2011, 16:53
I feel that the 31st of October is the deadline for submission of online application. The hard copy should be sent within 10 or 15(?) days of sending the online application.

guitarboy
27th Oct 2011, 19:55
For a Final Clarification on dates!
Guys,

Oct 31st is the last date for ONLINE SUBMISSION of the form.

The print out plus the other attachments aka DD, Attested CPL + M.E. Page + Photo should reach max within 10 days of Application online.

No need for DHL etc, Just Speed Post it.

If in Delhi, Speed Post reaches the Very Next Business Day.

takes a Max of 5 days from anywhere else in India to Reach their office in Delhi.

Costs a Max of 12 - 25 Rs. Depending on Location.

Thanks. :)

hifly17
28th Oct 2011, 06:35
hi , can sum1 pls inform me what are the subjects for the atpl exam for the current session .
thanks in advance

Aviator09
28th Oct 2011, 13:36
guitarboy
Yes that's the way it should be. I didn't go thru the guidelines before posting in here.! Thanks for the clarification.

Aviator09
28th Oct 2011, 13:39
hifly17
The subjects for ATPL are: General Navigation, Radio Aids & Instruments and Meteorology. So, it comes to 3 subjects out of which Meteorology is just Written and No Oral.

gAMbl3
30th Oct 2011, 13:47
exam tentative date?

superdunkaroos
30th Oct 2011, 14:05
Last week of November.

wings of fire
30th Oct 2011, 16:56
Hello friends,

For the attachments with the documents , where is it given that we have to attach a photo too?

Maverick 03
1st Nov 2011, 18:06
Sorry guys to break the sequence, but I have a query which I need to clear.

I have a CPL with Multi-Engine rating endorsed and I have got a job to fly a single engine turbo-prop.
My question is that will my hours of flying this machine be counted towards my ATPL (as I have read that ATPL cannot be issued on Single engine).

And just to get the knowledge what is the scene like in the industry with someone who has some decent number of hours on single engine turbo?

Thanks in advance.

Sperry CL2
3rd Nov 2011, 15:20
Hey Guys when is the next session for ATPL exam ??

smurf84
4th Nov 2011, 04:42
It could be held in the first week of February 2012.

matthewgamm
5th Nov 2011, 13:22
What is the correct option in the foll. question:

On which displays will the range markers be displayed regardless of the weather selection?
a. MAP & CTR MAP
b. EXP ILS/VOR, MAP & CTR MAP
c. PLAN, MAP & CTR MAP
d. PLAN, EXP ILS/VOR, MAP & CTR MAP

Aviator09
5th Nov 2011, 14:47
Answer is <B>

priyankaflyingbird
10th Nov 2011, 05:40
Can anyone please tell me the syllabus for genral navigation ?

LieDetector
10th Nov 2011, 06:34
Ever bother checking the DGCA website and the CAR's?

priyankaflyingbird
10th Nov 2011, 09:28
i know that there is everything given on the website but i was not able to find it that is why i asked here ..

gAMbl3
10th Nov 2011, 11:10
CIVIL AVIATION REQUIREMENTS (http://dgca.nic.in/rules/car-ind.htm)

section 7 part VI page 5

Uniform.
10th Nov 2011, 11:12
CIVIL AVIATION REQUIREMENTS (http://dgca.nic.in/rules/car-ind.htm)

Anonymous_pilot
10th Nov 2011, 18:59
:ugh
DGCA makes me go ooooooooo oooooooooo ooooooooooo ooooooooo:mad:

Cactus225
11th Nov 2011, 10:19
whats the best book to Study Met these days?

The DGCA hasnt sent me the actual License in hard copy yet. I just see the ISSUED stated online. Can I apply without the hard copy fort the next attempt?

flyme01
13th Nov 2011, 16:39
no you cant apply without the hard copy as you have to attach the multi-ir attested copy with the application.i think you will be applying for january attempt?because the laste date for october session has gone..you can go to dgca n ask them for your hard copy of your license..gud luck..

Cactus225
14th Nov 2011, 05:27
Yeah January attempt.

Been waiting for that hard copy since a month and a half now and I know of a few others who are waiting since even before then.

Wonder how much longer would it take. Thanks for the reply though.

LieDetector
14th Nov 2011, 05:30
^^When was your license Issued?

Cactus225
14th Nov 2011, 05:45
27th Sep. My friends on 7th Sep

How long does it usually take for them to send the hard copy along?